Can you apply a smaller-scale Shadestar™?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Yourmumrang
Noble

Can you apply a smaller-scale Shadestar™?

Post by Yourmumrang »

Hey all. The principle of the Shadestar is really potent but also really bearded.

However, I like the concept and would like to utilise it to some extent into my Corsair army.

Now, how would we go about it? How big? 20 seems a decent number. But then which characters to go in it? How would you defend against magic?

I can see such a unit being very useful advancing with Corsair blocks putting out a sustained rate of fire then making for a nasty counter-charge!
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Tbh even units of 10 work. Tha massed firepower is destructive without it feeling like you have a cheesey list on the board. Even 2 units of 10 with just a simple Assassin. Forget the heroes.

At 20 strong you are pushing the boundries of viability vs fun imo, as the larger unit size requires more of a point sink in buffed up characters to keep it going. That in turn increases the points value even more which gets you thinking does it need more protection etc. Before you know it you have a self perpetuating downward spiral into a true SDS.
Dannyisevil
Shade

Post by Dannyisevil »

10 shades in 1 unit sounds like a flexible unit if you compare with repeaterbow elfs.
You have 360 degrees shooting, can scout and shoot with bs5.
Put a charackter with a ring of darkness in it and this unit is great agains shooting.

It's just how you play, what is a 10 shades do in your entire army.
Play on defence or offence (or both).
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

!0 shades can't really scout that much, too big to find anywhere to hide.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Who cares whether they scout or not. In certain situations you will find a place for them, but the main point is their improved BS and their rate of fire.

Players should get out of the mindset that Scouts must scout! It is not always possible/necessary/advantageous... doesn't mean they don't still work.

Back in January I played in a tourney against 2 units of 10 Shades, neither of which scouted. It was horrible! I beat it eventually thanks to psychology mostly but it was tough all the same.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

I faced an unit of 10 shades on a teamtournament once as well, and we were quite lucky: the opponent put his shades in a wood and moved them to the edge, after which our organ gun (DE + Dwarfs :P) got 10 hits...
End of story...
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

Dark Alliance wrote:Who cares whether they scout or not. In certain situations you will find a place for them, but the main point is their improved BS and their rate of fire.

Players should get out of the mindset that Scouts must scout! It is not always possible/necessary/advantageous... doesn't mean they don't still work.

Back in January I played in a tourney against 2 units of 10 Shades, neither of which scouted. It was horrible! I beat it eventually thanks to psychology mostly but it was tough all the same.

Quoted for QTF (again, go DA!)

Everytime I would build a list with large Shade units, this is what I would get.

Dark Alliance wrote:Who cares whether they scout or not. In certain situations you will find a place for them, but the main point is their improved BS and their rate of fire.

Quoted for QTF (again, go DA!)

Everytime I would build a list with large Shade units, this is what I would get from people.

Anyway, I was thinking this Assasin to support the unit:

Assasin w/ AHW - RHB - Manbane - Rune of Khaine

I added the RHB to ensure I get that stand and shoot. What do you think?