Riding the Manticore: deep in the discussion

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

For a master, I'd be tempted to go full mundane armour, a null talisman and caledor's bane for those pesky black coaches and khorne chariots that can really hurt our list. I'd probably give him the battle standard as well just for some extra oomph.
Master of arneim
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Master of arneim »

Sulla wrote:For a master, I'd be tempted to go full mundane armour, a null talisman and caledor's bane for those pesky black coaches and khorne chariots that can really hurt our list. I'd probably give him the battle standard as well just for some extra oomph.

That's exactly my thought about the master. A high protection is not the main goal, as tipically the opponent will attack the manticore in hth just because it's armourless and the bsb option is equally good combined with the flank. On the other side it rises the cost a bit, but it should be worth even because you'll get a flying bsb that is always good. Equally good is the deathpiercer, making the unit a kb machine for the opponent's knights.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

If chariot-popping is the goal, I use a master on a Pegasus with Caledor's bane. Does the job just as well but much cheaper.
Truly These are the End Times ...
D'jihurccen
Executioner

Post by D'jihurccen »

I have used a manticore several times with game winning results, however, this was all with the old list, meaning i didn't need to worry about frenzy and losing the rider. I would use it in small lists where the enemy really didn't have enough shooting to negate its usefulness, and having flying a terror were huge assests.

That being said, the new manti has several big drawbacks from the old, no more 40 pt rider for one, and with the threat of frenzy, it is a big gamble with way too many points/hero slots. It's no longer so viable in smaller lists because of the increased points cost associated with the rider.

Spending 2 hero slots and upwards of 3-4 hundred points on something which will have trouble even making up the points again doesn't thrill me. The pegasus for about a quarter the points is much easier to screen, harder to hit, and all without the threat of frenzy
Dark moon Host (druchii) w/d/l 9/2/4
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Dyvim Tvar wrote:If chariot-popping is the goal, I use a master on a Pegasus with Caledor's bane. Does the job just as well but much cheaper.

Well, note that in my original post I said I don't use masters on manti anyway, this is just a 'what-if' exercise. Generally, if I wanted chariot popping, I'd just go with a master on a dark steed. The manti does have the advantage of not needing a terror test vs black coaches though.
Newsun
Trainee Warrior

Post by Newsun »

What are people's thoughts on master vs dreadlord assuming this kit and no worries about the extra slot for master:

Manti, Armor of Darkness, Deathpiercer.

DL obviously has more points and can get Null Talismans and has better Ld for restraining the beast and 1 more attack and wound.

Both will likely get 1-2 KB on target.

Master costs a bit less and with no NT, allows some other stuff to be added to the list.
Darkangel16
Black Guard

Post by Darkangel16 »

So would AoES and Enchanted Shield with a lance, be better than 1+ and KB, because of the durability? or is the raw offensive power better?

The list i would be using him in has a lvl4, a lvl2, 2 hydras and many dark riders and harpies.
Kilthix
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kilthix »

However darkangel16, his setup has a big plus over yours in that it's legal, he's not combining two magical armours.
Darkangel16
Black Guard

Post by Darkangel16 »

Oh my bad. Im not saying one is better, I was asking which was. Though caledors bane and a null tally seems interesting.
Cal'mihe
Dark Rider

Post by Cal'mihe »

@D'jihurccen
I use the manticore & master in my regular 1000 points list, granted, it does soak up 340 points, but along with my hydra its .....rather cheddary :roll:

I think the trick is that while the manticore might have trouble making all its points back in low points games, those that it does make are very "safe" points, in the sense that provided your opponent's list doesn't consist of very hard infantry blocks, then you're likely to be able to find a juicy target or two which the manticore has no trouble at all dealing with, unlike another unit where the fight might be more even.

Still, it is rather vulnurable, and I confess that my last game yesterday ended with the manticore and a unit of corsairs ran away from a bunch of night goblins :oops:

(First turn the manticore master is challenged by a goblin big boss, several killing blows afterwards the goblin player reveals the Brimstone Bauble. 3 wounds to the manticore and 1 to the master later, the combat is a draw despite +4 overkill, +2 SCR and +5 ACR. Next turn netters prevent me from doing enough damage and both my units fail the break test and are run down)
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

newsun wrote:What are people's thoughts on master vs dreadlord assuming this kit and no worries about the extra slot for master:

Manti, Armor of Darkness, Deathpiercer.

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. I ran a Dreadlord/Manti army at a big 2-day tournament in June, but I might downgrade him to a Master for an upcoming 1-day tournament. The downgrade and dropping 2 Null Talismans saves 90 points, and I can easily scrounge a few more so that I can fit an RBT in my list.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Newsun
Trainee Warrior

Post by Newsun »

Exactly, I would get another unit of harpies and my master in CO would get a CO himself for 1+ vs 2+ AS and the S4 A vs S3.