Using Witch elves?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Endra divini
Shade

Using Witch elves?

Post by Endra divini »

I was curious on how I should use witch elves in my druchii army. I have yet to use them for I never have enough points left after all my core, reapers, specials and characters. Now however I want to try them out for I love their models and background and they fit well in my force.

My questions are What are good unit sizes for them and how are they best used on the battlefield?

cheers.
Endra the corrupted

WS 6
S 3
T 3
D 4
I 4

Image: Tall and Lean.
His black armour leaks with a searing dark due.
And over his back is a cloak of which speaks to him of his past for he himself had long since forgotten it.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Using Witch elves?

Post by Rabidnid »

Endra Divini wrote:I was curious on how I should use witch elves in my druchii army. I have yet to use them for I never have enough points left after all my core, reapers, specials and characters. Now however I want to try them out for I love their models and background and they fit well in my force.

My questions are What are good unit sizes for them and how are they best used on the battlefield?

cheers.

Because of their frenzy, it is necessary to screen them off from enemy shooting and also to control them so they only charge what you want them to. Combined with the Caldron they become stubborn and you can also give them killing blow. Because of their massive numbers of attacks this is effective even combined with poison. I tend to use 7 wide units of 7 and 14, with a hag and manbare, and occasionally a banner. 7 is very wide though, so 6 or 5 wide might work better for you. The hag does most of the damage, so a 10 strong 5 wide unit might work nearly as well and be much easier to manouvre.

I weill be experimenting more with small 10 strong blocks, as these are easer to use for flank attacks and also the extra rank will count for SCR, outnumbering, and nulifying ranks.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Darthken
Assassin
Location: Australia, the place where kangaroo's hop down the street with a can of fosters in their pouch

Post by Darthken »

i like to run them 6 wide, 12 models in the unit.

usually with the banner that gives them armour piercing.

im my khainite themed army i run them 18 models, 6 wide, right next to a unit of exe's the same size.
it is a bit of a points sink and taking the cauldron is a must.

i tend to face a lot of shooting and really need the extra models to soak it up.

and for some reason all my regular opponents dont like them very much

and watch out for those fast cav and fllying units who will draw your WE's out of position very easily
you don't know the power of the darkside
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

I have used Witchies several times and really like them, for some reason although they are unarmoured no one wants to shoot at them???
Being ITP while Frenzied means they can take a bucketload of shooting and wont care which is nice. Also even just a couple of Witchies can still mess up soft targets like archers or war machines with ease.

I also like to give them the Banner of Murder as this helps them actually wound something. Try to avoid any heavily armoured troops as you just won't be able to kill enough of them
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage