Old timer thinking of coming back, wondering?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Rickie_82
Executioner

Old timer thinking of coming back, wondering?

Post by Rickie_82 »

Hello Oldtimer here, joined this site 2002. But sadly havent been around for a couple of years. Sold my colection and bought wast amounts of beer for the money :oops:

Now I'm back and thinking of making a new army. Will probably go for a magic heavy list with plastics. To have a some what cheap start. Like 2 sorcs, 2x5 DR, a spearunit, 2x10 rxb. And some ebayed specials.

But have rusteled about here now for a couple of days (and other forums) And have learned there is a new edition (have looked in new book, seems nice).
When I left this comunity had discoverd the MSU way, and were trying in many ways to up the eficensy of this playstyle. But havent seen many lists with this thinking anymore. Many seem to field large blocks again. So is just wondering, MSU dead in 7'th edition? I quite liked the playstyle of it and am thinking of doing it again. Or am I to be advised against that?
Or am I just blind and miss that all armies now are MSU of some sort.

All posts regarding MSU seems to be from 2006 as of latest so just wondering what happend, Well dont want to rant on to much, have a bad habit of typing to much nonesense.

Hope to post again Rickie
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Welcome back in the Dark Side (or is it a Dark Site?).

The present army book has placed DE ahead of most armies, just behind Demons and Vampires (or so say many).

With the present army book, magic has become great, you'll enjoy it!

MSU not dead.
However, MSU is not anymore the only way to handle DE.
If you want to play MSU, it still works great. But we have the option to add a couple of large units as well. The choice is much more open than it used to be.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Rickie_82
Executioner

Post by Rickie_82 »

Thanks Calisson, hmm will have to look through some sampels before I decide first then. But I loved the MSU way, the finese requierd made evry victory sweet.

Getting really riled up on begining again, even thou my financial situation is prettty bad ^^
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Rickie_82 wrote:Thanks Calisson, hmm will have to look through some sampels before I decide first then. But I loved the MSU way, the finese requierd made evry victory sweet.

Getting really riled up on begining again, even thou my financial situation is prettty bad ^^

MSU is still alive and well, but my lack of tallent has pushed me away for pure MSU to a list that includes one hammer.

I use 10 RXB with shields, 15 spears with FC and the usual 5 DR or harpies (harpies are now unlimited core) with my hammer being 13 witches with a death hag BSB. Though you coud do the same thing a lot more simply with a unit of Black guard.

Modern armies are a lot less suceptable to MSU, because so many of them have benifits that ignore flanks (Nurgle) or who take additional casualties rather than flee when they lose a combat (Demons of Chaos).

Best magic combo I have found is a lvl 4 and level 2 at 2K and above. Add a hunter noble and in my case a death hag BSB for the other heros, and you will have a well rounded force with serious magic protential, but that is numerous and flexible as well.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

MSU and MSE have suffered a severe blow as more and more people are too hung up on ASF BG's and Immortal Dreadlords.
The Druchii sadly does well in block vs block games these days so the Druchii had a giant swarm in of new players and the MSU has become a tabu subject around here.
There was an effort of reviving the old tactics but it still seems to be all about unkillable lords and asf bg's.

However pure MSU kicks ass and Druchii are still the best at it.

Armywide hatred was a mistake though IMHO. Made it too easy.

You can if you enjoy MSU build a whole army without a single rankbonus whatsoever and still do very well but on the other hand. You can also do okay with a more traditional rank'n'file army. But why play a scalpel army if you want to play a blunt instrument army.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Willowdark
Shade

Post by Willowdark »

As a new comer with neither an unkillable Dreadlord nor ASF BG, I'd like to think there is hope in the tactics of the next generation. ;) 8)

I find there are still element of MSU available and used very effectively in concert with larger unit investments. for instance, RxBs.

My RxBs regularly reform into 2x5 formations, fleeing, redirecting and threatening flank charges in support of my big Warrior block. But like I said, these are just elements of MSU tactics.

I can't speak for the previous editions of the book, but right now we simply have many units _worth_ investing in. Most units simply get exponentially better when you add just minimal improvements. Like warbanner on Warriors or a sixth CoK w/ Standard of Slaughter. Even Shades @ BS 5 w/ great weapons just get better when built up a few models beyond minimum, but all of these units can remain lite and mobile enough to mimic the flexibility of an MSU army.

With core Harpies and the low cost of the Hydra DEs can be very mobile with lots of threats without relying on overblown infantry like ASF BG + 2 masters or ASF Death Hag in Execs. Though the latter can be a blast.

The Hydra, however, is quite the crutch, IMO. If you really want a challenge, play without it. I am personally in love with 3 bolt throwers as an alternative rare build for relatively cheap.
Representing The Battle Glade, whether they like it or not.

In the Winter,
The long and hallow eaves of the Willow
Dance like the shadows of Loec.
Niceas
Warrior

Post by Niceas »

Personally I'm a fan of fielding a number of small units, although I'm not sure my list can be called MSU. So far my record has been fantastic - made it through a couple of tourneys without any losses, and the only loss that I've suffered came at the hands of a Vampire Counts army with lots of ethereal (I don't have any magic weapons). I've tried to take a toolbox approach - I'll post it here for your reference:

5 Harpies
5 Harpies
5 Dark Riders - RxBs
10 Crossbowmen - Musician
12 Black Guard - Standard, Champion, Ring of Hotek
10 Executioners
5 Cold One Knights
Hydra
Level 2 Sorceress - Darkstar Cloak, Dispel Scroll
Death Hag - Cauldron of Blood (General)
Assassin - Rune of Khaine, Manbane

Total - 1495