Small groups of elite troops

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Greatescape_13
Trainee Warrior

Small groups of elite troops

Post by Greatescape_13 »

I've noticed that in a number of sample army lists, people have included what I consider to be very small blocks of elite troops--particularly black guard in stands of 10 models.

Just wanted to ask why people find that to be effective and how they best use a unit so small. Just as a supporting charge unit? Relying upon damage output? Screened by riders or harpies?

Is it points cost that makes fielding them in larger blocks unattractive? Or some other factor that I am not seeing?

Anyhow, thanks for input if people who run this sort of unit share their thinking behind it and experince!

Cheers.
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

10 with 2 attacks is nasty but easily hammered by shooting. I personally prefer 14 in a 7x2 formation, 14 attacks against a regular 5 wide, still vulnerable to shooting but has a little buffer.
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Elite troops dish much more damage through active combat resolution (i.e. killing foes) than through passive combat resolution (ranks, banner).
Therefore, the most useful rank is the first rank, i.e. 5 to 7 of them.
A small unit of 7-10 is quite easy to get rid of, but if the enemy uses his shooting on such a small unit, he gets only less than 100VP if he destroys it completely... and in the meanwhile, he does not destroy something else of greater value. This is why such a small unit very often remains unnoticed.
A larger unit is a much more rewarding target for shooting and magic.
In addition, BG and frenzied WE being ITP don't care to be shot at until the last dies.
One use for the BG is to run them in 10 strong units, if they are shot at, there never panic. If they are charged, it is unlikely that ALL of them would be destroyed, they loose but are stubborn and, if the BSB is not too far, they will refuse to flee, which should provide your COK or COC a nice flank charge.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}