Deployment-Phase Tactics for the Druchii General

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Ant wrote:Which brings me to the main point I think you missed in your 1st section - deployment aims. For me the most important aim is to force the opponent to change his deployment plan with your own deployment.

But what if your opponent doesn't have a set deployment plan coming into the game?

If you know your opponent and you are aware that he has specific preferred plans or tendencies, I think what you are suggesting may be a good way to go about things. But if you don't know anything about your opponent or his army, or if you are facing an opponent who takes a flexible and adaptive approach to depolyment, it's pretty hard to try to do what you are describing. How do you disrupt the enemy plan if you don't know what it is? Or if the enemy does not have a set plan in the first place?

Note -- Added sections regarding chariots and hydras and shades
Last edited by Dyvim tvar on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

Well he may not have a specific plan in mind but merely seeing the main threat put out right away can have a very noticable effect on the enemy player. I have seen it done many times before where you put out your main combat unit and the rest of the deployment your opponent is trying to react and figure out how to destroy it. It does put some players ( not all and probably not the best ones but still) off their game and can alter their thought process.

I'm not saying it is the best way to do it because it you could save it for last instead and have him not be able to react as well. However, keeping him on the defensive before the game even starts is a great start for you. And as Ant said, it works best when you have a small army and won't lose anything by placing it right away.