Characters

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Facet_x
Trainee Warrior

Characters

Post by Facet_x »

I wanted to throw out a random personal, unfortunately untried opinion and idea out to the web and see what comes of it.

I'm preparing for another 1k game this time against a Empire player. I've been seriously debating not so much bringing two Sorceress' but what to give them.

I've flipped through pages and pages of posts. All of them simply refering to giving them the Cloak, Book, or Seal. Very good items indeed to have a magic user with. Something just bothered me when I added up my list though and had spent over 400pts on two models.

I remembered my game against VC. I remembered how he brought 3 decked out Heroes, and later understood that his army is based off such fighty magic users. This made me realize that different armies have different uses for such characters.

Then I thought how do the Dark Elves do magic?

While they are few in number, they wield a much stronger type of magic then most mages. This brought me to my answer that this is a low point game, I shouldn't see or really need to bring a wizard capable of leveling a city. I need a model that can just level a small portion of a army.

Any questions, comments, or threats :lol: are welcomed.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Well if you do take 2 mages in a 1000 pt game, you will absolutely dominate the magic phase. Power of Darkness will allow you to get every spell off (basically) and you will decimate his troops.

Problem is, you leave about 500pts for normal units, so you'd best build the list around supporting your magic heavy approach.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Schlorgadorb
Warrior

Post by Schlorgadorb »

In seventh edition, magic has become overpowered. [begin rant] Its distinctly annoying how much magic I have to bring to the table just do have sufficient anti-magic. Discounting a couple items, like the ring of hotek, and null talismans, which don't work well on anything they cast on themselves, Dark Elves have very little in the way of getting rid of spells. You have to bring mages. Sure, their magic is a kick in the pants, but if I want to spend my hero slots on fighting heroes, I should have that option. Maybe I want a Cauldron, a Lord, a BSB and another hero to lead a unit. I should have that luxury. But no, I have to take a Sorceress. I suppose that does mean that all my hero slots have a purpose, but that also means that my heroes tend to cost 1000 points by themselves. I don't think thats good. If I wanted to play herohammer I'd play 5th edition.

[end rant]
My record for New Dark Elves: (15/0/10)
Facet_x
Trainee Warrior

Post by Facet_x »

See that is just it. Without buying any equipment for my Sorceress' except for upgrading them to level 2 they only cost me 270pts. Granted I spent another 100pts on a Master, but the only magic item in my army is his Soulrender.

I only sort of agree with Schlorgadorb on not enough anti-magic for now, as I've not played enough games to get those experiences where the opposing magic phase dominates.

My point at the time I think was that stripped down characters should be what we should go for at smaller point games. Get more units on the board and try controlling the movement and combat phases with them. Its at least where I'm going to start from.
Maliciousmetal
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Maliciousmetal »

I would have to agree with facet, its only 1000 points. Thats maybe a combat hero and a mage/sorceress to actually compete in the magic phase.
Most points should be going towards either getting more troops, or bolstering the troops you have already paid for. One opposing character is not going to single-handedly kill all the units in your army, so don't worry because your opponent is usually not going to take extreme characters in such a low point game.