Über lord on foot?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Babnik
Black Guard

Über lord on foot?

Post by Babnik »

Brothers Druchii,
I am designing a 2,500 list for a tournament and I want to play a Lord of foot.
Embedded in the Black Guard unit with Hag Graef banner, I thought about 3 options:
A/ With sword of ruin/PoK/Enchanted shield (question: sword of ruin allows no armour save against sword of ruin, but what about scaly skin?) :?
B/ With executionner's axe/blood armour :twisted:
C/ With sword of might/PoK/enchanted shield/black dragon eggs :lol:
Of course he will be fielded with usual equipment such as Xbow, cloak, etc...
Please advise!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Freebooter
Corsair

Post by Freebooter »

I'm thinking of having a lord on foot as well. Toying with the idea of having HA, SDC, Whip of Agony, Shield of Ghrond.

Unlike Sword of Might, Whip of Agony is a "hand weapon" so it allows you to get that extra parrying bonus. It has a nice synergy with Shield of Ghrond's -1 to Strenght to all Hits. In effect this combo it gives you T 4 and 1+ save against both missiles and CC :)

The minus is that the combo takes 50 points of your magic item allowance, and there isn't many items you could take with it, even Potion of Strength is ruled out as Whip of Agony "always strikes with S5".

Maybe Dreadlord could live up to his name and take Death Mask and fill up the rest of his Magic Item allowance :D
I'm a sig virus, please add me to your signature so I may continue to replicate.
Stonecutter
Noble

Post by Stonecutter »

The most standard equipment for a foot bound lord in ASF BG is the executioner's axe and blood armour. After a single round of combat, the lord will have a 1+ armour save.

Here are a couple other options that might work well:

1. full mundane equipment + PoK, hydra blade and potion of strength.
2. mundane equipment, blood armour, PoK & soulrender (gives 4 x S6 armour piercing attacks). This is a very affordable & survivable combo if you want to give the unit champ or a master crimson death.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

My favourite set up is Crimson Death and Armour of Darkness.
Means your hero will always strike hard and has great defence for just 50 points.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

I like the idea of being charged and still be able to cut in half a bloodthirster or a stegadon! And in one round of combat the blood armour will save 1+!
So i'll try the Dreadlord option B. In a BG unit with Hag Graef banner and a "baby sitter" champ, he should go thru opponent's shooting/magic phases or unwanted challenge.
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

Regarding Freebooter post, why we don't have +1 in save when we use sword of might with shield?
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Because the armour save bonus for a model with a non-magical handweaopn & shield isn't given with a magical Sword of Might. I'd have to check but I don't believe the Whip would grant it either as it is magical.
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

Thanks Phierlihy. What page of rule book?
Our club's facebook page:
Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville
Look for French tourneys pics galleries!
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Babnik wrote:Thanks Phierlihy. What page of rule book?

Pg 56 "Handweapons"
"Luck is the residue of design"
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

Option B in a unit with SoHG. Go get 'em!
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

as dumb as it is, Scaly Skin provides with X amount of ARMOR SAVE! Pretty wierd, but that is hos it is explained in the rule book.

I vote on option B
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

It's usually best to focus on good defense first with a dreadlord. He can be pretty effective with as little as a great weapon if he has decent protection...
Dark apostle197
Corsair

Post by Dark apostle197 »

I used to use the executioner lord and at first he was cool, but then I realised he did very little. If he doesn't kill what he attacks, he dies. More often then not he ends up being str 6 when I play so the weapon in a waste. I tried out 1+ armor, PoK, Potion, GW which was pretty fun so I'm going to keep play testing it. My friend made up a good point, he can actually hurt a blood thirster with Obsidian armor(if one actually charges a lord on foot obviously) which will make forcing it to go poof easier.
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

Kheel wrote:as dumb as it is, Scaly Skin provides with X amount of ARMOR SAVE! Pretty wierd, but that is hos it is explained in the rule book.

I vote on option B

'Armor saves' are just a game mechanic to distinguish it from ward saves and regeneration saves, which means that scaly skin is negated by killing blow and high strength attack - and a few specific items. They could just as well have named the saves 'Binky', 'Bonky' and 'mr. Tootlesnootz' to distinguish them - but probably chose the more mundane route in fear of sounding like a childrens tv show ;)

I go for a Dreadlord with Black Amulet, Armour of Darkness and a great weapon - no use getting fancy magical weapons, when a 'thirster laughs at them - then I'll prefer to have big red try and kill himself :)
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Another vote for Black Amulet. I've been toying with possible builds, and it seems Black Amulet/Blood Armour/Soulrender nicely fits inside the allowed points value. Should anyone ignore your magic weapon, you only lose armour piercing. And with 4 S6 attacsk, you'll quickly boost your armour save, and if they do get through, you'll have the amulet to rebound the wounds.

Of course, I advise footed dreadlords to have some sorceress backup with shadow magic.

Some of the above guys advised some charcter builds that are 50 points, those are also effective, but if you like them, go for a master instead. The extra point of leadership isn't so valuable inside stubborn BG, and unless you have an uber weapon like executioners axe the extra attack is not really worth the investment.
Last edited by Thanatoz on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

Look like there is a kind of splited opinion between asf/executionner axe vs black amulett/blood armour/great weapon...

Concerning sword of ruin with strength 4, how does it work against a 3+ scaly skin? -1 or no save?
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

No save, as scaly skin remains an armour save. It's a decent weapon, but as S4 often doesn't cut it in today's monster/hero game, it's not oft used.
Azimyth
Beastmaster

Post by Azimyth »

How about a variaton on (c) Sword of Might, PoK and Potion of Strength for that one turn when you really need it.
Option B is also good since he is in a unit with ASF.
South African Players: http://www.warhammergenerals.co.za
Religion: A cult for the masses
God Protect Me ... From Your Followers
ETC: Rules for whingers who still want to play 7th
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

Mine serve a support role, bring ld and some help:

Lord, GW, Crystal of Midnight (or sceal), Amulet that protect from missile (ct cut in half.. don't remember the name), and armor of darkness.

Habitually in a ASF BG unit, he bring 4S6 hits, can destroy one spells, and protect BG from fire.
Creedence
Dark Rider

Post by Creedence »

Not too sure if this is legal as I cannot recall of the top of my head if I have all the pricing on the items right in my head. I was thinking, Black amulet, Soul Render and Blood armour.

I would need to go home to my book to double check if it legal.
Lord Admiral, Creedence Vendral, Commander of the Black Arc Murderous Pride.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Whip of Agony, Pendant, AoES, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak. Gives you a 2+ Armor Save, good ward save, and regeneration. He has 4 S5 attacks with an additional -1 to armor save. He is more of a tank than a hammer, but he can certainly put out a fair amount of damage as well.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ