dark riders question

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ezr-aeron
Warrior

dark riders question

Post by Ezr-aeron »

ok guys, ive played only 8 games of WHF so dont laugh at this :) how on earth do you use dark riders well. by that i mean not letting them get shot at, targeted by enemy fast cavalry, or just generally using them well. i know theyre supposed to take out war machine crew and lone mages (not that ull ever find them by themselves really). can someone show me how like on a diagram or something or maybe another url? cause im real newb and am struggling to use them properly.
cheers
"Screw the rules, I have money" - Seto Kaiba YGOAS
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Well, I've just retired mine again :)

The basic plan is to envelop the enemy, use them to flank a formed unit to nullify ranks, distract, destry weapon enemy units hiding in their rear generally cause mayhem.

Fast cav rules are awesome and makes them incredibly useful. Basically everybody knows this, and most fast cav will die very quickly if the other army has the means to kill them. On those occasions where the opponent can't stop them they will be glorious, but most games they get swatted by turn 3 :)

Sometimes hiding and claiming a table quater is all that they can contribute.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Darkblade soul12
Trainee Warrior

Post by Darkblade soul12 »

Use the fast cavalry to lure out things that are frenzy. I use my fast cavalry as cheap expendable units to distract and annoy the opponent from more major threats like my big unit of black guard.

For me dark riders are units to protest my flanks and to destroy other fast cavalry. Also because they're fast and have an 18 inch move you can get them anywhere you want really.

My plan
1. Don't engage them in CC unless it's against something weaker than you
2. Shoot them down.
4. Use your superior movement to outplay him for example march blocking.
5. And finally sacrifice them for the good of the army to hold up a unit for a turn or to. All elves have high leadership.

Thanks
Ezr-aeron
Warrior

Post by Ezr-aeron »

hmmm i really need to watch a dark elf game but since im the only player of my mates is kinda hard. and also none of them like druchii!! (disgracful....) they prefer pitiful greenies or stumpy dwarves.
"Screw the rules, I have money" - Seto Kaiba YGOAS
Alternativeramblings
Trainee Warrior

Post by Alternativeramblings »

Check the D.R.A.I.C.H. There's some useful tactics for them

Basically - utilise the movement phase to its full extent, exploit their fast cavalry and 18" movement goodness.

Marchblock. Hunter warmachines/solo characters. Flank if necessary. Redirect charges via sitting 1" in front of a unit and position them in a way that the charge will then allow you to charge that unit in the flank.

Best used against frenzied units who HAVE to charge you - meaning you don't need to get that 1" close. The 1-2" example is for when your opponent then has to charge you (which you can then flee from/or sacrifice to hold them in the best position for your optimal charge) or stand still and waste a whole turn of movement - its win-win for you either way.

Uhh what else can i think of off the top of my head...

The psychological aspect of dark riders. They have a fabulous reputation, well earned i think, as the best fast cavalry in WHFB. That alone can cause an opponent to focus too much on them, while you do sneaky things somewhere else.

Smoke n' mirrors.
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

also, if you want to see how others use them, check out the battlereports.
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Darkblade soul12
Trainee Warrior

Post by Darkblade soul12 »

they prefer pitiful greenies or stumpy dwarves.[/quote]

Be quiet over there i play green skins lol
Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

One strategy that I've found that works really well is that the more units you have, the more likely they are to do what you want. It sounds simple and like a no-brainer but having many units, say 4-5 greatly increases the chance that they can do all those useful things like marchblocking, being annoying, and hunting warmachines. I'm not just refering to dark riders though, in my current army I'm running two units of dark riders and 3 units of harpies. This many fast elements floods the field and prevents the enemy from targetting all at once. And the best thing is that they are cheap as well. Those 5 units

This idea of flooding the field is crucial, if you can only afford 1-2 units of fast stuff then I almost wouldn't bother. Two units or less will get shot up so fast they will be unable to do anything useful. I recently played against a moderately shooty high elf army with 3 bolt throwers, two units of archers, and two characters with magic bows. With 5 units of fast elements I was able to provide too many targets for him, especially with the rest of my harder hitting elements charging ahead as well. By the end of the game, I only had 1 unit of harpies left and 5 dark riders remaining but all of his shooting was gone. Try this strategy out, it works wonders and will keep all your stuff from dying before their time.
Lars
Warrior
Location: Either Pistoia (Middle Italy), Cuneo (Northen Italy) or Berlin (Germany)

Post by Lars »

Apart for what already described, I shelters them with tarrian till I can bait an unit within the range of the Reaper Bolt Thrower. Since RBTs can choose how they shoot, this strategy works virtually for everything.
Luca "Lars" Girolami

Mr. Anderson wrote:
Currently an ultramanuverable ginline
What... so they're drunk all day long?