What t get next

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Verinasti
Warrior

What t get next

Post by Verinasti »

I really do not know what to get next.
I currently have 16 RXB with full command and shields and Malus Darkblade (which I don't plan on using).
What should I get next? I am thinking of grabbing another 2 squads of 10 RXB with shields, a master or sorc on foot and either COK or shades. I have about $100 AUS
Thanks
Svengaard
Trainee Warrior

Post by Svengaard »

Everything else really;)
Seriously though. Your army is so small that people will still say anything. I think you need another core unit to even play at 500 points.
That being said I suggest your next unit or two to be Dark Riders. They're core and versatile. They also take a little strategy to use (like the rest of our army), so it's handy to practice with them early on.
Verinasti
Warrior

Post by Verinasti »

Problem is they are so expensive - $20 AUS a model, still $100 for 8 if you are converting. Otherwise I would grab them up in handfuls.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Corsairs then, fix up them up with RHB, read DRAICH for tips on what to do with them, and have good times painting them. Apparently cheaper Dark Riders aren;t that far away, in comparison to how long we've waited, anyhow, so perhaps you'd be proved right to wait. And COK. Find 50 dollars and get a battalion, maybe.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Verinasti
Warrior

Post by Verinasti »

ok, thanks
what about for hero choice - I was thinking either a sorc or master with lifetaker
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

If you're tight on £€$$ budget, go for several sorceresses on foot and several assassins.
RHBmen (with shields, musician and possibly champion) are good complements to these characters.
But sooner or later, you'll need more substance.
WHB ain't cheap, even if it is more reasonable than golf or horseback riding.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Verinasti
Warrior

Post by Verinasti »

sorc on foot with assasin in HB unit, cool. Tx for help
Sing_childer
Slave on the Altar

Post by Sing_childer »

My advice would be to get Corsairs. (20 of them if you can afford it).

Corsairs are a core unit and you you need two of those to start with. Practically, they'd make a good offensive unit to compliment your Crossbowmen and also serve as a good unit to have for a narrative driven army (if that's a direction you want to consider). I assume you're beginning, and Corsairs are probably easier to use at first than Dark Riders.
You'll also learn more from using Corsairs than Dark Riders (again, assuming you're starting out new).

Corsairs are also plastic and thus cheaper.

In short, Corsairs are the most flexible choice for all manner of reasons. My advice would be to get a box of those.

For a character I would take a sorceress. In small scale games they're very effective and she'll teach you a lot about Lore selection, which, in my opinion, is an essential lesson to learn.
The Sorceress on Cold One is also a great model and fun to paint.
'No, Sir, "Carpe Diem" is not the fish of the day'
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

You will need to buy core troops before specials, because currently your army would be illegal :/

Of those:

- Corsairs are excellent all round troop - cheapish too.
- Warriors are good, especially if paired up with an assassin. They are even cheaper than corsairs.
- Dark Riders are very good, although a bit fragile to enemy bowfire if over exposed. The current metal models are prohibitively priced though...
- Harpies are very good when used right, but again, the current models are exppppensive.
- RxBs are very good, same price as warriors (same models in fact, just different models), but can be a bit of a 'good in all areas, best in none kinda troop'.

If you are on a really tight budget you could try shopping around a bit on ebay etc, or doing clever conversions from cheaper models (particularly for the dark riders, who are startlingly similar in appearance to certain plastic cavarly models in other armies).

But the sad truth is that Warhammer is an expensive hobby :( The more you buy the more you will find you need, at least initially. While corsairs and warriors are great against some foes, you will want elite forces eventually....and then rare too....and chracters to boot....and then more core choices, and more varied elite options, and all of the rare choices and then one day you wake up and realise you have spent hundreds of pounds on angry looking metal lumps.

It's all worth it though, I love my army :)
Verinasti
Warrior

Post by Verinasti »

I made a rough list
Sorc - lvl 2, tome of furion 150
Assasin -XHW, rending stars, manbane 151
13 RXB - shields, GM 148
10 corsairs - HB, reaver 110
5 COK - FC, null talisman 190
Comes to 749pts
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

sing_childer wrote:My advice would be to get Corsairs.

Welcome, sing_childer, in Druchii.net!
Especially with such recommendations! :D

However, when you say that "The Sorceress on Cold One is also a great model and fun to paint", you should also tell that from a tactical point of view, the sutpidity is a disaster and the model's best uses are to be converted either to a sorceress on DP (add wings) or to a female BSB.

@ VeriNasti
10 corsairs are best with RHB and muso.
AHW corsairs are best with FC and the SSS, in larger numbers (15 to 20)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Verinasti
Warrior

Post by Verinasti »

Sorc - lvl 2, tome of furion 150
Assasin -XHW, rending stars, manbane 151
13 RXB - shields, GM 148
10 corsairs - HB, muso 105
5 COK - FC, null talisman 190
744pts
Don't know what to do with the spare 6pnts
Sing_childer
Slave on the Altar

Post by Sing_childer »

Hello and thank you for the kind welcome. I've hereby put an end to my incessant lurking.

Yes, my apologies. I ought to have mentioned the occasionally fatal occurrence of stupidity. Clearly, this is a serious issue in a competitive environment.
However, personally I do use a sorceress on cold one and that's for reasons of narrative and flavour - both concepts, I accept, that do not carry well into a tournament setting. I would encourage that kind of army building, but it’s obviously a highly personal choice.

For what it’s worth, early on at least, (500 pt games) I found the added mobility of the cold one to outweigh the risk. If nothing else, it forced me to think ahead in case the sorceress was out of action for the round, which was actually useful in the long term. So there is some hard value in cold ones too.

But then maybe I am also less sensitive to the unpredictability of stupidity because I occasionally play a night goblin army ...

At any rate, I would highly recommend a sorceress (or sorcerer) with or without mount as a first character simply because learning to use magic early on is very valuable and it's one of the things druchii obviously excel at.
Until you meet dwarves.
'No, Sir, "Carpe Diem" is not the fish of the day'
Verinasti
Warrior

Post by Verinasti »

Yeah, one of my friends play dwarves. Some of the others play ogres, vc, we, he, empire and lizzys.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

However, when you say that "The Sorceress on Cold One is also a great model and fun to paint", you should also tell that from a tactical point of view, the sutpidity is a disaster and the model's best uses are to be converted either to a sorceress on DP (add wings) or to a female BSB.

That's a bit generalised really. Yes, stupidity sucks - particularly with Ld 8 - but there would be lots of pros to a sorceress on cold one set up too, including a 5+ save that would be awesome, the ability to cause fear with a single low cost character (and be immune to fear causing enemies) and a marching range of 14" to boot.

If she's put near the general or with a unit of cold one knights, she would be testing on 9 or 10 rather than 8, which would be much better :)

If she's on her own, you could manoeuver her so that if she bumbled it you don't end up facing a counter charge in the way that you might have to with regular cold ones (ah hah, prepare for my awesome 14" charge to rush your knights....oh, lame, I just went 3". Now I'm going to get pwned).

Personally I would never use the combo, but it does seem like a possible good mix if used right :) It's one of the things I love about DEs - there are no 'bad units', every unit can be spellbindingly awesome if used right =) Sorceress on a Cold One is no exception...
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

just don't forget that the sorceress can't cast if her mount goes stupid, I prefer a dark steed.
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Svarthofthi
Executioner
Location: Within the nightmare twists and turns of Hag Graef.

Post by Svarthofthi »

Can never have too many sorceresses! Well I guess you can, but I'd call you a prude.
"I have heard the call to power! Who of you can say you'd dare tread the same path as I?"
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I tried once 3 level 2 at 1k :lol:
It works fine, but for magic-very-heavy, 2 levels per 500 pts is enough.
Verinasti
Warrior

Post by Verinasti »

Would a khainite army work well at 750pts against dwarves?