Dealing with Fanatic spam

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Aurellis
Trainee Warrior

Dealing with Fanatic spam

Post by Aurellis »

I'm going to be playing a friend of mine on wednesday who is most likely going to spam a load of Fanatics. How does everybody usually deal with these pesky blighters?
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Use units of Harpies to fly in front of many units at a time to release all of the fanatics then you let them take care of his army.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Tzelok
Beastmaster

Post by Tzelok »

I haven't played against an O&G army in this edition, but I used to play an all Night Goblin army myself. If the rules for fanatics haven't changed much, if you get the harpies behind the unit, i believe the fanatics scatter out. Then as Zardock said, sit back and watch some goblin on goblin murder. You may want to have some shooting available just incase the odd fanatic wanders too close for comfort.
Army Plog Below:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63015

Scratch Built Druchii Tower:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67976&highlight=

The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Turn 1:
Harpies fly 20" forward in front of the goblin army
Turn 2:
Chaos in goblin ranks caused by fanatics being everywhere makes the game easy.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Stonecutter
Noble

Post by Stonecutter »

Tzelok wrote:If the rules for fanatics haven't changed much, if you get the harpies behind the unit, i believe the fanatics scatter out.

Fanatics now go in the direction desired by the controlling player even if the unit appears instantly within 8" (i.e. summoning of zombies).

One of the easiest ways to deal with fanatics is to run a cold one mounted hero with the PoK and full armour into the O&G lines. The fanatics will bounce and the character can retreat after triggering them. You can then either leave the fanatics to run through the O&G lines or shoot them down.
Tigtoad
Hydra Lord

Post by Tigtoad »

Your models (harpies included) also immediately stop at 8" away while the fanatics are released. If you survive, you can continue your movement.

I have a large O&G army, a great way to hurt the O&G player is with shades. Keep them in the woods and have the fanatics release by staying in the terrain as terrain will auto kill fanatics (he can release them in other directions still, but they will likely be closer to you than him.

Play with a decent amount of shooting and make him come to you, get the fanatics out, then just don't let him cast WAAGH.
Aurellis
Trainee Warrior

Post by Aurellis »

I'll be running two units of 5 Harpies so that's useful and I should have the shooting needed to pick off the Fanatics. They seem quite hit or miss, so fingers crossed they ryn havoc in his battle line.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Harpies can be good but it does mean they usually die which is a pity.

Once they are released I have found a good way of getting rid of them is Masters or Lords with a pair of Repeater Handbows
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Similar to playing vs skaven weapon team spam, I like to shoehorn as many small shooting units as possible. In practice, this may mean adding a couple of chariots, or a characterter or three with rxb's. Together with a couple of units of crossbowmen (but the characters should be in other units so they can shoot other targets from the crossbowmen), you should have enough independant shooting units to take out the fantics that get to your lines after the harpies flush them out.
Tigtoad
Hydra Lord

Post by Tigtoad »

Another option is to take a flying model, like harpy or pegasus or manticore and end up between the goblin units and a piece of terrain (building or forest), they release within 8" whether they can see you or not, but they cannot enter that terrain.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

TigToad wrote:Another option is to take a flying model, like harpy or pegasus or manticore and end up between the goblin units and a piece of terrain (building or forest), they release within 8" whether they can see you or not, but they cannot enter that terrain.
Although, they do at least get to choose the direction of the fantics now, so at least they won't have to send them at the trees and instant death like they used to.
Tigtoad
Hydra Lord

Post by Tigtoad »

Of course, but if there is no other enemy option 8" away, its very likely the fanatics are just as close to the orcs as to you. The Dark Elves have a lot more ways to force panic on goblins than the other way around and the leadership on the goblins is low, too. Its win for you if the fanatics clog up the middle while we shoot them.

I have 8000 points of orcs and goblins, it sucks when the fanatics can't even kill a screen unit.

sulla wrote:
TigToad wrote:Another option is to take a flying model, like harpy or pegasus or manticore and end up between the goblin units and a piece of terrain (building or forest), they release within 8" whether they can see you or not, but they cannot enter that terrain.
Although, they do at least get to choose the direction of the fantics now, so at least they won't have to send them at the trees and instant death like they used to.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

TigToad wrote:I have 8000 points of orcs and goblins, it sucks when the fanatics can't even kill a screen unit.

:twisted: Yeah, that would suck. Still, O&G are a pretty flawed list. Lets hope they get a little love in the next few years to make the army as useable as it's popularity warrants.