Toppling the Twins in 8th

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Malekii
Shade

Toppling the Twins in 8th

Post by Malekii »

I routinely play against a he player who fields both Teclis and Tyrion in his army. This is annoying because I can kill one but not both and while i'm killing one the smashes my army.

I have a decent combo to take down Tyrion
Dlord with dragonbane gem, shield of Ghrond, 1+armor save and a Killy sword.

But Teclis is confusing and hard to deal with.
Never trust a monster wearing a top hat

Hi, i'm Malekii but you can call me My Lord.
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

have you considered shadowblade?
Malekii
Shade

Post by Malekii »

He usually deploys Teclis in a squad of Phoenix guard which are damn near unkillable and troin ride in a cavalry unit.
Last edited by Malekii on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You don't need to kill the phoenix guard, just Teclis.
If he puts him on the side of the unit you can make shadoblade appear in the flank, in base contact with Teclis.
You will probably get challenged by the champion so the hard part is killing the champion and not breaking away from the combat (remember shadowblade has dark venom so each wound he does in a challenge counts as two for combat res).

If you can kill Phoenix Guard champion and survive that one break test... Teclis is toast.

Other than that I would go with death magic snipe... He's only S2/T3 elf.

Or you can just bless a hydra with killing blow from the cauldron of blood and allocate all 13 attacks against Teclis
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Svarthofthi
Executioner
Location: Within the nightmare twists and turns of Hag Graef.

Post by Svarthofthi »

Think Teclis is T 2 even.
"I have heard the call to power! Who of you can say you'd dare tread the same path as I?"
Aveleys
Cold One Knight

Post by Aveleys »

Also, if he deploys teclis on the flank, shades are a great unit to charge in and snipe him off. Take 10 of them, absorb a bunch of hits from the phoenix guard and alocate attacks to kill teclis. I'm also sure that you may be able to kill him off when the right oppurtunity strikes, just keep in mind teclis is an expensive character, so its worth investing in a unit to kill him, even if you lose that unit in return.
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

Tyrion is easy to counter. He lost a lot of survivability in 8th, and the boy only has 4 attacks - so the damage he can cause is limited. KB + The other tricksters shard, and he is as good as done.

Teclis - seems like a good target for Shadowblade. But basically you just need to make contact with the guy, and then he vanishes in a squirt of thin blood. Of the two Teclis is the one to fear, as he is the magic phase of your opponent, so when he is gone, you should have free reign here.

BTW: With almost 900 points of lords? What size games are you guys playing?
Malekii
Shade

Post by Malekii »

Thanks all for the good advice.

When we play games we allow each other to stretch the limit.

Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Ah well, that's always interesting. When you start tweaking with the rules, you can run into all sorts of whacky situations. Of course, you can run into all sorts of whacky situations by following the rules too, so I guess it doesn't make much of a difference ;)

I suppose I would be glad that both Teclis and Tyrion are in the same army. Tyrion's pretty soft, compared to some of the Prince builds out there. You can put together a Prince on foot who is about as killey as Tyrion versus most opponents, fairly durable, quite a bit cheaper, but is also a Level 1 Wizard casting Spirit Leech on Leadership 10... Eesh.

Not to mention you can get a lot of Phoenix Guard or Dragon Princes for the points spent on Tyrion, and I'd much rather deal with a Lord choice with a few attacks than an entirely new regiment of nasty High Elf troops.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Putting your battleplan on the shoulders of one powerful character (usually a special character or other) tends to be a bad idea no matter what.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

Well then. I guess you're just playing 'ordinairy' 2K'ish games then.

My recommendations would then be to just bulk up on troops and skimp out on characters. You should easily be able to outnumber him 2:1 and more, which should be enough to win you the game - its a game of battle between armies, so single characters lose out most times.
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Virgin Forest wrote:My recommendations would then be to just bulk up on troops and skimp out on characters. You should easily be able to outnumber him 2:1 and more, which should be enough to win you the game - its a game of battle between armies, so single characters lose out most times.

I think that this would be my exact recommendation too: from my experience, being as we often have cheaper troops, in a war of attrition, we win overall: you just need the bodies to weather the storm...

Against Tyrion, putting a Master on Peg (puts him up to 3 wounds and improves his armour save) with the Dragonhelm, Soul Render (hell your going last anyway!) and some 25pt magic item (or save the points)... this will be a fair bit cheaper than a tooled up Dready and should do the job just as well (tie him up).
Toonces
Warrior

Post by Toonces »

I agree with the wise folks who have posted before me - don't worry yourself much about Tyrion. Be thankful he's there instead of several hundreds points worth of something you should worry about.

Since you can't go Dwellers and laugh as Teclis dies with Strength 2 to save him, one semi-viable strategy is to put harass him with the Ring of Hotek.

Master on Dark Pegasus with Ring of Hotek and Cloak of Hag Graef xor Dragonbane Helmet. Cloak if you expect he'll bust out archers and RBTs, Dragonbane Helmet if you think he's going to pack lots of fire in order to hard counter your Hydras. Dragonbane also let's you use the Master to tie up Tyrion instead.

Master tries to shadow Teclis (who will invariably stay cozy with Phoenix Guard) and just lurks at about 12" from Teclis - preferably 8" away so a sideways 2.5" inch doesn't shuffle Teclis out of Hotek reach next turn. He'll either have to sit in ring range and quick-reform and slide away (likely ending the move with Teclis facing away from the front lines) or try to march-wheel out of reach (likely putting Teclis closer to the fray).

He'll want to roll for doubles with Teclis so the Ring sort of lets you make him pay for each impressive irresistible force he pulls off.

If Teclis is going Life, you're out of luck though - since Throne of Vines plus the Lifebloom side effect means this tactic is all but meaningless.

I would recommend against Shadowblade as your opponent can stall with the champion on your turn and on his turn, nearly any lore Teclis is using will provide a solid counter - using Regrowth to bring back the champ, any Shadow Spell to bounce away

I will second the Hydra + Killing Blow blessing. The fun part there is you can first roll the 6 Handlers attack on Teclis and if that kills him, you can direct the Hydra attacks into the unit to add up the kill count. Having the Hydra's split initiatives helps to minimize wasted attack allocation in situations like this.