Newbie Question: How to use Corsairs?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Stakka
Slave on the Altar

Newbie Question: How to use Corsairs?

Post by Stakka »

I'm new to DE, have played Empire for several years though, but since most things are different with the DE, I need some help on how to use the corsairs.

I want to use them as a ranked infantry unit, but how do I do that to get the most out of them? 7 wide do get maximum number of attacks or 5 wide to get maximum number of ranks?

Which units are the able to take on, either as attacker or defender in a charge situation?

At which numbers should one use them, and in which role?
Yemeth
Shade

Post by Yemeth »

AFAIK, there's a good D.R.A.I.C.H. article about that
Odi ergo sum - Druchii's illumination

DE noble is talking to a HE prisoner

DE: 'Do you know the difference between you and me?'

HE: 'Hmmmmmgh'

DE: 'That's right, I've still got my tounge.' - Anon
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hi, Stakka, welcome in D.net!

Zardock said on Aug 31, 2009 that he would write the D.R.A.I.C.H. article about corsairs with two weapons.
Waiting for that one, you can have a look to the Boot camp.
The idea is: set them in ranks of 7 against little armoured foes (even if you have to renounce 1 or 2 ranks), and in ranks of 5 against medium or hard armoured foes. 6 per ranks is never optimized.

Its is true that Empire and DE are two highly versatile armies with very little in common. Its is very interesting to play them alternatively.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Tactics question moved to correct forum.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

The Sea Serpent Standard is obviously a great choice for them, but Armor Piercing is useful also. Not having them Frenzied can be useful, since it still allows you to flee from big threats rather than take brutal charges. 14-21 models gives them a wide frontage and a bit of combat resolution, and an Assassin can really help their survivability. Corsairs become even more effective with a Cauldron of Blood, especially when bolstered by Killing Blow.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Stakka
Slave on the Altar

Post by Stakka »

I've tried a bit, and I guess 12, 14 or 21 are the best numbers, making them either 7 wide with one, two or three ranks or att 21 also possibly four ranks for the maximum possible bonus.

I can't really see the use with Sea Serpent Standard, then I can as well use witchelves, no save at all, but most shooting and many of the close combat units one faces will be at str 4, so the cloak won't do much at all.

Anyway, thanks for the help.