Dogs of war

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Doug
Warrior

Dogs of war

Post by Doug »

Hi Druchii fans
I am about to play a Dogs of War general, 1250 Point game.
I know that he has some Ogres and some shooting. I have never
done battle with a DOW and need advice. He is a good O&G general
so i suppose that he can bring that to the battle field.
Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hi, Doug, welcome in D.net!

You need to tell more about your available models and usual tactics if you want to receive relevant help.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

It's like fighting Empire, but on the whole their troops cost more and suck harder. My advice would be, if you haven;t downloaded the DoW PDF then do so and have a look. If you can't then get back to us. I for one still have it somewhere.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Malastare
Slave on the Altar

Post by Malastare »

DoW are generally a sub-par army since their rules set hasn't been updated in a very, very long time. That being said they do have some interesting options. Their Regiments of Renown each come with a Hero level champion who is included in their points cost and do not take up a Hero Slot from their army organization. These characters vary in quality but there are some nice ones in the list.

Some things to be mindful of:

Leadership: They have a very low LD7 pretty much across the board. Some of the Regiments of Renown have LD8 but overall they struggle with psychology.

Paymaster: This guy is a mandatory choice in a DoW army and also doubles as the BSB. If you kill him then the whole army must take a panic check. I typically use an assassin for this or a suicide charge by my DR. Whichever unit or model kills the Paymaster will be hated by the whole army for the rest of the game but I'm okay with that since it gives me an extra 100VPs and the possibility of routing his army from the field.

Duellists with pistols: These guys can be extremely annoying. They skirmish so they're very maneuverable for infantry, they can move and shoot their pistols with no penalties and can always Stand and Shoot regardless of distance. Our local DoW player uses these guys to great effect to protect his flanks.

Galloper Guns: These are very mobile cannons. They lack the range and punch of their larger cousins but could very easily end up on your flank firing a S7 shot across multiple units. These guys also come with a Hero level character who is mounted and fairly decent.

Beorg Bearstruck: These guys are pretty nasty. Their Hero is WS5, S5, T5 and A4 with a 4+ Ward Save, frenzy and a banner that gives his whole regiment +1 to hit. A favored tactic is to cast Bear's Anger on him and then he is truly a nightmare in close combat. Consider baiting this unit with harpies or dark riders.

Maneaters/Leadbelchers: DoW have access to the OK list as Special Choices and these are common in their armies. A pair of Maneaters with a brace of handguns or great weapons can seriously put the hurt on a unit or destroy a chariot. They are also a decent tar pit since their stubborn and immune to psychology.

Pikes: These are the weakest of the units in the DoW list since their cost doesn't translate well to their performance. Still, a fully ranked unit of pikes can be deadly if you charge them from the front so don't do that. If you hit the pikes, do it with missile fire, spells or from a flank or rear. The pikes will fight in four ranks and strike first if you hit it in the front. They also receive +1S against cavalry and monsters so be mindful of that.

The rest of the list is very versatile and you could be facing any combination of troop choices: Heavy Cav, Light Cav, Dwarfs, Norse, Giants, etc.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Layne wrote:downloaded the DoW PDF.
DoW: http://www.blacklotusarts.com/capitalci ... of-war.pdf
RoR: http://www.scribd.com/doc/11347006/Regi ... f-Renown-2
(it was in the D.R.A.I.C.H. ;) )
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Doug
Warrior

Post by Doug »

Hi to all thanks for all your replies.
As to my army it consist of:
Sorcecress, Disspell Scroll, Dagger
Unit of 5 Dark Riders; repeater cross bow
15 Spearmen; Handweapon spear Shield
5 Hapries
2 units of ten repeater cross bowmen
2 reaper bolt throwers
10 Corsairs; Hand weapon Extra hand weapon light armour
5 Black Guard includes the tower master; with ASF banner
5 Cold one knights; lance shield heavy armour
I am pretty flexible and can change things around if need be
Douglas
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Another one that could really hurt certain armies (such as Druchii) with across the board lower armor saves is the undead legion. As they kill your troops, they add them to their own. They have a number of other annoying traits and their leader is decent.

I like most of the Regiments of Renown, by the way. Some really good flavor in there.

Make sure to post a battle report!
~B~