deploying dual hydras

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

deploying dual hydras

Post by Drek »

I'm getting ready to roll out my Dragonlord/ASF BG/Rending Assasin/dual Hydra list, and I was wondering about deploying the dual hydras. How do you usually deploy them? I was thinking Dragonlord on one flank and dual hydras on the other with BG and COK in the middle, but I seek the wisdom of those with more experience. Thanks!
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

Well, until I can afford hydras I only have 2 cents and no experience on the matter... People will call Cheese on you. Even if it's the most balanced, playable list in the world where you could have put 3 in.
Oderint dum Metuant.
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

When i can play such deadly list, I have 2 options, depends on the army you are playing.
You are outnumbered:
1 Hydra with BG, the other one with the dragon.
You are facing strong cheezy list:
Keep your hydras on each Black Guard flank.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I'd deploy them out of arms reach of your opponent: he's quite likely to throw them both at you!

In all seriousness, I've only played with more than one hydra twice: once in a 3.5k 2v2 game where we brought 3 hydras (okay, that was a bit mean, but it was a once in a life time opportunity!) and once in a 3k game when I brought two.

In the 3.5k game we deployed 1 on the middle left and 2 on the middle right. In the 3k game I deployed both on the middle right flank.

I think deploying them together is very effective because it allows you to dominate a flank very heavily and gives you extra reliability (even if he gets lucky and damages one hydra badly, you have a backup just next to him who can do just as much damage). Deploying them next to the ring of hotek gives them lots of protection: an ASF unit of blackguard with ring of hotek next to two hydras is pretty near unstoppable.

But, I feel like I should reiterate my first point: deploy them out of arms reach of your opponent, he could definitely throw them at you!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

For the CHEESE!

I'd deploy one on each side and use them to either spread fire and death over vulnerable troops, or to flank charge.

But to be honest, two hydras alone aren't cheese, if, however, assisted by a dragon - then you have a cheesy list no matter what the rest of it looks like.
I only play balanced COMP games, with various COMP rules, but in the end I face opponents that have a similar threat level. If I choose to pick two hydras, I simply have to shove in a lot of infantry, because they bring balance.

As someone else said, it is effective to have two on the same side, BUT to spread out the threats is also to divert attention from one side, because your opponent has to pick a side to concentrate on, leaving a flank or even rear open :)
To assist your hydras, I'd go with two chariots, one on each side with the hydras - first charge with CoCs and then flank with Hydra. GG
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Me and Crawd played double hydras once, in a 2v2 1000 pts per player but we had put up a shitty list to balance it.

We lost, real bad.

But at first, one of the two opponents literally quit on us and left his ally to play the game by himself.
And he slowly came back toward the game board to watch the game when he learned his ally was winning the game.

T'was a bit sad. Haha.
BUT

It all depends where you play at, and there are ways to deal with the Hydras, people just aren't thinking enough - they have their plan already and you just ruined it by bringing two hydras, so they whine.

Boohoo, I'd learn to deal with it and maybe it would work, maybe I would fail, but I'd try anyway.
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

Agree with Kheel. At 2,000/2,250 list, dual hydra with dragon is the cheeziest army you can possibly have. I have played it at my club for couple of month and my winning ratio jumped, untill other players started to complaint (except daemons of course).
1/With each hydra covering BG flanks, you can use them to protect your elite warriors against shooting.
2/Your BG with ASF marches and stand in front oh the main opponent unit. Then the hydras make a nasty double breath attacks. Either the foe unit flees or charge but anyway it is doomed.
Our club's facebook page:
Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville
Look for French tourneys pics galleries!
Thora
Trainee Warrior

Post by Thora »

here is my "most cheesy list"

Lord, la, shild, sdc, dragon, caledors, S7 Potion, pandant
DH, CoB, BSB
Caddy, RoH, scroll
2x 10 RxB
5 DR, muso
2x 5 Harpies
12 BG, champ, standard, soulrender, SoHG
12 BG, champ, standard, BoM
6 Shades, GW
2x Hydra

2250 Points

the two hydras alone can figth nearly everything. They walked together to increase their stregth. The Dargon set pressure on your oponent, so can be deployed where ever you need him. The caddy stays in on of the BG near the champ so it is not clear who has the ring.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Thora:

Why does the lord have light armour? it seems silly to invest so so many points in a model and then refuse to spend the extra 3 on heavy armour...

With just one level 1 and one scroll, you're very light on magic indeed. Even the ring of hotek will only do so much (lots of times when your opponent rolls 3 dice he won't roll miscasts...)

I agree its a cheesy list, but seems bizarrely sub-optimal in a few key places...

The caddy stays in on of the BG near the champ so it is not clear who has the ring.

You have to declare who has it the moment they use it, so your concealment would only work until their first magic phase surely...
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Thora
Trainee Warrior

Post by Thora »

the lord has ligth armour because I need the 3 points...

I can skipp the GW of the shades and 1 BG for the 25 extra points for an additional scroll... (Ring to the Champ without stuff)

The army is fast (more or less) so there will be only 2 phases of magic against me without hth fighting. The hapries can block LOS for at least 1 phase (or shouting phase).
The CoB will spend 5+ ward save at the beginning.
[llct]kain
Assassin

Post by [llct]kain »

Back to the question. I played some time a core list (3*20Warriors etc., no BG, no Dragon) with two hydra. For me it worked well to put them close together, most times they spend the first two or three rounds in base contact. Enforcing every nasty thing like dragons etc. that could charge them to face a return from both. After some rounds combat and shooting has reduced these threads they wander of each their own way.
Most times I put them on the flank wtih a wood (if available) to get a bit of cover for the first rounds...

I f playing 2 Hydra I would suggest to take some shooting RxBs or Shades to compensate for the missing RBT.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Pull the musician from the Dark Riders before you give the Lord light armor. You're 'protecting' 110 points of Dark Riders, sure... but risking what, 600ish points of Lord?