BSB: Chariot or Manticore?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Yourmumrang
Noble

BSB: Chariot or Manticore?

Post by Yourmumrang »

Hi all.

I'm thinking of adding one of these two to my army. Which is better? A Master BSB on Manticore or Chariot?

Is the Manti BSB still viable? There was lots of talk of this last time I was gaming.
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

I haven't tried a manti yet (I was going to convert the helf dragon into 1 but couldn't bring myself to cutting apart such an awesome model so made my Black Dragon instead!).

I could see it working if you can get flank charges but frontal charges it will have issues (like all flying characters). That said it can go frenzy, doesn't have many wounds or crazy toughness.

Also it's a bit of a solo item. a chariot on the other hand (with bsb in it right?) is more likely imho to remain with the main battleline and offer BSB support and gain support from other units.
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Both benefit from the Standard of Slaughter, and are meant for breaking units on the charge.

Without a magic banner he is better off on a chariot, as he is more likely to stay in the battleline and provide the re-roll bonus to nearby units, like Bies already mentioned.

Chariot is slightly tougher than the manticore due to the armour save (which helps a lot versus low strength shooting) and the armour bonus to the character riding it. It is however allergic to S7 hits, which kill it outright.

So in short:
Manticore as BSB:
- viable with Standard of Slaughter
- rather fragile, requires good use of terrain and late commitment
- expensive, but can be a real killer
- fast flyer with good movement control

Chariot as BSB:
- viable with Standard of Slaughter, but also with other magic items
- less fragile, but S7 destroys chariots outright
- less expensive, but suffers from stupidity
- rather slow as it cannot march but good charge range

Pick what ye will. In this case, it might be best to ask a friend if you may proxy that model, so you don't end up disappointed.