Versatile Dreadlord Kit

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Kmd
Trainee Warrior

Versatile Dreadlord Kit

Post by Kmd »

Hey, I was fiddling a bit with my character setup and - as much as I wanted a cheap ukillable BSB in the army - I also wanted to remain semi-competent with magic, so going BSB+2lvl2's just wouldn't cut it, with whole army on LD8.

My idea of a dreadlord (I didn't manage to find any similar build on d.net but I'm lousy at searching) who could work just like the common PoK BSB and be the general is :
Dark Steed
Heavy Armour
SDC
Shield

PoK
Deathmask
Sword of Might

Would that be a competitive setup allowing to combine two roles in one and allowing to go whatever support characters I please? (in my specific case - medium magic)
Xzazzarai
Corsair

Post by Xzazzarai »

I bet the Deathmask is pretty unexpected! But...

I'd rather go for this one:

Dreadlord on Dark Steed.
Heavy armour, SDC, Shield
PoK
Potion of strength
Hydrablade

He can fight pretty much anything...

If you want immunity to fear, put him on a cold one. I for one, prefer speed though and wanna avoid that stupidity test - even if it's at LD 10.
ETC Team Sweden
2011 - Dark Elves
2012 - Undecided
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

On this setup, the Deathmask is actually a good option because it not only prevents auto break, but also allows you to make enemy units run.

It could work, but he has no SCR which could be a problem.
Kmd
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kmd »

My idea was to make him able to hop between spearelf unit and BG , wherever he's needed and torpedo himself at some highly specific threats, like wraiths.
The mask would allow him (hopefuly) to slowly chew on the ethereal unit, just like a BSB does. I see the benefit of a CO mount, but I just hate stupidity and don't take such unreliable units as a rule of thumb (my army lacks a single CO unit). Also - it wouldn't be as good vs. terror-causers.

The hydrablade/PoS combo might be just what I need but I'd have to do some testing and see what numbers would come out (especialy against some typical fear-causing targets).

But yes, I can see the lack of SCR as a problem and was also thinking of simply going more obvious way - BSB+lvl4+lvl[1/2] (or even BSB+master+lvl4 as I'm fed up with magic).

It turns out it's pretty tricky to avoid solid magic and/or dragonlord if you expect to have to deal with ethereals often ; ]
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

why can't you take 4 characters... dreadlord, bsb, 2xlv2 mages?
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Kmd
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kmd »

In the ETC restriction system PoK takes up a hero slot :(
Plus I feel that'd be a lot of points in characters.
The warchief
Cold One Knight

Post by The warchief »

I'm considering something similar and was just searching for threads on the Deathmask! Under our comp I would have to drop a hydra to take it as I can only have 2 terror causers (the other being a CoB) and the PoK takes up a rare slot.

I was thinking of running him in a unit of 24 or 25 spears with warbanner alongside a unit of BG and a unit of Executioners. I've considered as a cheaper and more disposable option a Master with Pearl and magic weapon. This would allow me to take a Lvl 4 Supreme Sorceress as well then.

I'm interesed to know what you think and what happens if you start to play test this as an option...
@the_warchief
Cheltenham Warchiefs
Kmd
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kmd »

I'm certainly going to try out some combos.

Another that comes to my mind and I'm really looking forward to try out is :
Lvl4 on pegasus
unkillable BSB

and as a 3rd char choice - a second master.
Currently I'm trying to figure out what to kit him out with - pearl for one came to my mind, but I'd also like to have him add some ACR if he happens to go into spearelves AND stay alive ; >
The warchief
Cold One Knight

Post by The warchief »

ITP has lots of advantages. The main one for my army is being able to screen the unit with either xbows or hand bow corsairs and then flee them back through without panicing the spears.

Character s I'm looking at are:

Lvl4
BSB with ASF banner in BG (due to comp restrictions)
Master with Pearl and Sword of Might
then possibly an RS/MB Assassin

I've always wanted to run my Level 4 on peg but when i write the list i can never fully justify the points cost and end up dropping her back onto a dark steed. What are you looking to kit your SS on peg with?
@the_warchief
Cheltenham Warchiefs
Kmd
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kmd »

I am trying to decide: the staff vs focus familiar+powerstone combo.
And then a scroll or two.
Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Hi mate,

i had some succes with this setup:

Dreadlord, Dagger of hotec, potion of strengt, 1+ magical armour.
I ran this lord in a 20 warrior strong unit with the banner of murder.

The best memorable result was:

got charged by 5 chaos knights of nurgle.

Dreadlord, shows his new flashy dagger, drank some strengt. and whiped 4 knights dead, allowing me to overran into his next unit marauders and thrue.
Kmd
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kmd »

got charged by 5 chaos knights of nurgle.

Dreadlord, shows his new flashy dagger, drank some strengt. and whiped 4 knights dead, allowing me to overran into his next unit marauders and thrue.

You can only overrun if you're the one charging bud 8) You can only overrun if you kill all your enemies. You shudda guessed he meant Pursue. - Layne
Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Overran, pursue

please accept my appologies!
Jbtheslipperking
Executioner

Post by Jbtheslipperking »

Very interesting idea, lord on stead, terror mask and pendant. I love it. I can prolly hold almost anything for a couple of rounds. I bet the star dragon rider would be surprised not autobraking the lord.
Wtf, dragon`s breath is not flamable ?
Kmd
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kmd »

jbtheslipperking wrote:Very interesting idea, lord on stead, terror mask and pendant. I love it. I can prolly hold almost anything for a couple of rounds. I bet the star dragon rider would be surprised not autobraking the lord.

Let me know how it worked out for you.

I've used him once so far in my alternate list with CoB and I must say that combining the 18"charge with the selection of CoB blessings can make things quite messy for your opponent and it adds to the list of threats he should watch out for.

He is also a cheap terror-causer who can wreak some havoc upon low-ld enemies, especialy when supported by hydra's own terror + panic tests from the flame template and harpies making sure all runners get auto-destroyed.
Dread_knight666
Noble

Post by Dread_knight666 »

Yeah I am running a similar build and I really like it. My DL is in with the SSS corsairs and has Ring and dagger of hotek, blood armour and potion. 6 ASF attacks that can be made at S7 are deadly. He is a bit squishy without regen or ward, but with that many ASF attacks, not much touches him anyway.

I am actually surprised more people don't run this build, the dagger of hotek is usually a very neglected item.

If I am facing high toughness I can use the strength, or if I am against tough armour I can bless the unit with KB, this is also a good choice if your expecting a challenge. Pretty versatile, although lacks the speed, I could put him on a DS I just don't like the idea.