Corsairs with 2 handbows

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Tomcowlin
Executioner

Corsairs with 2 handbows

Post by Tomcowlin »

Just wanted to know if you guys thought corsairs with 2 handbows was a viable unit selection. I was thinking of running 2 units of 10 or 12, which can pump out out 40-48 shots a turn, quite accurately, although at short range. The rest of the army would be quite aggressive, pushing forward to meet the enemy. I'd use the corsairs as detachments. Moving with large blocks to soften up enemies before the blocks charge, then allowing themselves to be charged to stand and shoot.

What do you think?

Tom out!
Member of The Channel 4 News Team - We're kind of big deals

Follow me on Twitter @tomcowlin
Carolus
Executioner

Post by Carolus »

I've never actually run corsairs with handbows (sadly, will do soon though ;) ), but I'm pretty certain only the champ can take a pair, and the rest gets a handweapon + ONE handbow.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, don't have the army book within reach
Br13
Trainee Warrior

Post by Br13 »

Carolus wrote:I've never actually run corsairs with handbows (sadly, will do soon though ;) ), but I'm pretty certain only the champ can take a pair, and the rest gets a handweapon + ONE handbow.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, don't have the army book within reach

That would be correct. Only the champion can have a pair, the others can have just one (instead of an additional hand weapon). So 10 would only do 22 shots with and 20 without a champion.
Carolus
Executioner

Post by Carolus »

That being said, they are still good at the role you intend to use them in, so don't be disheartened tomcowlin, go get some slaves :D
Tomcowlin
Executioner

Post by Tomcowlin »

Dang, didn't notice that... Oops :cry: Ok, different question then. Would it be better to take 20 with additional hand weapons and SSS or 20 with handbows and SSS. The second example only loses 5 CC attacks but gains 20 shots and the ability to stand shoot.
Member of The Channel 4 News Team - We're kind of big deals

Follow me on Twitter @tomcowlin
Tah kazak rik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tah kazak rik »

I always take 2 handbows with my reaver. I have had too many bouts of good luck via stand and shoot to not select that option.

However I always take corsair units with extra hand weapons, and leave the shooting to shades.
Br13
Trainee Warrior

Post by Br13 »

Without a Cauldron of Blood, I see some use for the handbow and SSS banner as it produces more average wounds on a s&s reaction than 5 additional attacks. However, against high Toughness and/or armor, 5 additional attacks that benefit from the killing blow blessing seem a lot better.