8th edition: Various Character Builds

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

She's been flashing her dubious wares all over the internet I'm afraid.

She was last seen hanging out with 'Suicide Vampire' and someone who looked strangely like Teclis ;)
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

As per Venkh, new Sorceress build added to the list.

The Sacrificial Lamb aka The One Trick Pony

Due to the amount of general grumbling everywhere, I'm putting this one straight to Confirmed. I have yet to meet a Dark Elf build that got more complaints if you subtract our 7th edition "Unkillable" build. And I never even put it on the table! :shock:
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Rogue-gladiator
Dark Rider

Post by Rogue-gladiator »

I looked through the thread, and saw nothing about this build, so I thought I would post it. Probably nothing spectacular, but mainly for giggles.

Combat Sorceress:

Supreme Sorceress
Level 4 upgrade
Dark Magic
Black Talisman
Black Dragon Egg

If you can get soul stealer (which shouldn't be too difficult), this sorceress can keep herself alive by buffing her wounds before charging with her unit into combat. 6 wounds running into combat, with a 2d6 Str. 4 Breath Weapon, and a 4+ ward save which will rebound saves onto your opponent and automatically cause a wound. Alternatively, one could drop the black dragon egg and replace it with the tome of furion to help add to your chances of getting soul stealer (though the rest of the dark magic deck, especially chillwind and word of pain, should be useful), or the sacrificial dagger, though given the low costs of dark magic I don't think that is necessary.
Lancesaba
Warrior

Post by Lancesaba »

I think this already been stated but in reference to the "sacrificial lamb" there is one better. Lvl 2, DP, RoH, dispel scroll if you want it. that is if you want it. combined with the the lvl 4 or if you give the lvl 4 the tome the sacrifice can be a lvl 1. now this crazy *itch will fly to the enemy next to an expensive unit. chuck as many dice as possible at the purple sun or whatever and miscast hopefully blowing up the unit and getting a sick spell off. best of all she can do this 3 times before she dies, enemy permitting =)
Originally posted by CasaHouse:You're arguing realism in a game where skaven can use an unstable radioactive stone like cocaine, Lizards can shoot blowpipes without lips, Trolls can regrow severed heads, and some knights' faith can make cannonballs bounce off them like tennis balls. But no! They shouldn't be able to repeatedly use lances! That just wouldn't be realistic enough!
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

This doesnt work as well as the power scroll version because RoH only grants IF on a double 6.

The rest of the time you just explode :O
Lancesaba
Warrior

Post by Lancesaba »

that is the point. but if you chuck a lot of dice at it (which you will need to given its casting lvl) then you have a decent chance of getting a double six. or a really high roll which would be hard to dispel. Now this is probably better in the later turns of the game after you have used up the dispel scroll and most thinks are locked in combat to save her from shooting, and during this point is when you use your lvl 4's casting. Now it isn't a guaranteed IF but at least she has a 50% chance to get the spell off.

not to mention the point of her is to blow up. she is all of what 175 points?

is this sane? no. Could it make up its point value? yes. How? popping some annoying chaos knights or any insanely powerful one wound guys. If your smart and have every thing engaged with space between your guys then you could fly into the middle of them and hit multiple units with the template.
Originally posted by CasaHouse:You're arguing realism in a game where skaven can use an unstable radioactive stone like cocaine, Lizards can shoot blowpipes without lips, Trolls can regrow severed heads, and some knights' faith can make cannonballs bounce off them like tennis balls. But no! They shouldn't be able to repeatedly use lances! That just wouldn't be realistic enough!
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

Most of the time you will you will just miscast a lose a wound. You only get a good result with the big pie plate miscast which is just not likely to happen.

I think you should try it out and let us know the results though.
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

How to get an effective magic phase with only a single level 2:

The Medusa (235 points):

Sorceress (level 2: Death Magic)
Dark Pegasus
Pendant of Khaeleth
Tome of Furion

Every turn the Meduse picks up all the Wind of Magic dice and throws them at a single game-changing spell, hoping for a high roll or an irresistable force. With her resistance to both shooting and miscasts (3 wounds, PoK), she can also fly to the rear of expensive enemy units and damage them with the miscasts.

That is the Dark Elf way of casting spells. Gamble gamble gamble and cause havoc to everyone :-)
Pjeos
Executioner

Post by Pjeos »

Master:
·Pendant of Khaeleth
·Dragonhelm
·Halberd
·Heavy armour
·Sea Dragon cloak
·Dark pegasus

I tried the "BSB of Doom" version but i removed the BSB as i wanted this one to hunt gunlines, characters and monsters and the BSB is needed in the rear lines.

Then, i got to the conclusion that some protection is needed against Metal and Death Lore. Unfortunately, for this build to succesfully do its job i can't take 4+WS instead of PoK, therefore this master will be vulnerable to Death Lore. But we can take the Dragonhelm to avoid Metal sniping by dropping the SoM. Dragonhelm takes the place of the shield and allows to take a Halber so that we have:

Flying Master, 2+/1+ AS, PoK, 3 W, 3 S5 attacks, 2 S4(5) attacks from de DP plus stomp.

The main difference with the "BSB of Doom" is the DP. DP provides one extra wound, can't be targeted in CC nor with shooting, allows Master to fly over units to engage with warmachines, mages, etc due to new true LoS and all for just 50 points.

So far, i've tied up Steam tanks, WoC Lords, and Ogrestars as well as completely destroy gunlines, which was it's initial purpose.

Lately, i've been using it in conjuction with a Shadow Lore lvl4 with Dragon egg and 4+WS in DP too. She can switch positions with the Master when needed, ie: charging the SSorc into Steam tanks and then switching positions with the Master, or as a second warmachine hunter...as long as she gets to cast succesfully one Shadow spell and the Master is in 18' range, she is just like a second Master.

I'd call this Master: Winged PoK of Anti-Doom :>

Any thoughts?
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Hey look, it's an update! :shock:

The Great Equalizer has been moved to Confirmed due to the polls.

New Hero builds:
The Medusa by Aeure has been added.
The Winged PoK of Anti-Doom by PjEOs has been added.

New Lord build:
Combat Sorceress by Rogue-Gladiator has been added.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Xuza
Corsair

Post by Xuza »

Hello, don't know if this build has allready been posted but I couldn't find it anywhere so. If it has allready, just tell me and I'll remove the post.

Mchammerlord with a twist on foot

Dreadlord: Sea Dragon cloak, Fencer's blades, Glittering Scales, PoK, Potion of Fool Hardiness. - 246 Points

A bit easier to hit then the other Mchhammerlord, but not much, 5-6's to hit, with many opponents still will hit him on 6's. Only 5/4+ As, but with the PoK it should be ok. Also giving a bit of save against potential Canonballs etc. The potion is only added for another attack on the charge turn, for 5 points I think it will in most cases be worth it. So that would add up to 6 attacks hitting on 3+.

The last part is only how I personally plan to try to field this character, in a group of Corsairs with the SSS, giving the lord Frenzy aswell. With a potential Killing Blow buff from the CoB that would be 7 attacks hitting on 3+ with reroll with killing blow. That should tear a hole in quite a lot of things.
Betrayal comes natural...
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The Anti-Paper Cut

Dreadlord
Cold one
Shield
Sea Dragon Cloak
Armour of Eternal Servitude
Dawn Stone
Crown of Command
274 Points

This guy is the ultimate horde staller, who finally gets to enjoy the trademark 7th ed DE character three separare save rolls.

This guy gets a 1+ armour save (5+ from AoES, 4+ from shield, 3+ from SDC, 1+ from Cold One)
He gets a second 1+ armour save (from the Dawn Stone)
And then he gets a 4+ regen save (from AoES).

Against a horde block of S3 models (e.g. high elf spearmen, dark elf warriors, dark elf corsairs, goblins, etc) this guy will survive forever - well, certainly a long time.

And, of course, he's stubborn (from the Crown) and ITP (from the Cold One).

With 'death by S3 paper cuts' a much more credible tactic in 8th than ever before, this guy could be essential. No longer do we have to fear failing our saves to a bunch of feeble high elf spearmen or lothern sea guard - we can just charge them in the face and watch them sit there, turn after turn, doing nothing.

However, be careful to avoid that nasty enemy lord with sword of flaming doom: as this guy won't get much - if any - of a save against him...
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Greenbay924
Trainee Warrior

Post by Greenbay924 »

Currently, my favorite character build is probably the most simple:

Level 4 sorceress, darkstar cloak, talisman of protection, lore of shadow.

Keep things simple, all you need her to do is get one big spell off a turn, and the battle swings widely in your favor. Played a game today where a last turn withering secured a win by making the opponent's Greater Daemon T4, shot it down from there.

The 4+ ward is better on the caster than the PoK from the always off chance of a feedback scroll, or any other no S wound (seems to be a lot of that these days).

Darkstar cloak makes it so you don't have to waste points on a "sacrifical" unit to boost her casting.

Anyway, sorry if this has been mentioned, I read the opening page and the sorceress one and did not see it.
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

Will shamelessly plug my general as I had to test him before committing him here. My no nonsense character killing lord meant to be in my unit of Cold One Knights. My Surgeon Dreadlord heavyweight at a mere 270 points

Dreadlord on Cold One
Crimson Death
Armor of Darkness
Pendant of Khaeleth
The Other Trickster's Shard [TOTS]

4 S6 attacks, 1 S4 attack, 1+ AS, reverse ward save, reroll enemy successful ward save, fear causing, ITP strike first most of the time.

In his 11 strong Cold One Knights with SoHG and RoH

Strikes first and rerolls all misses in succeeding rounds of combat
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Falconrider
Corsair

Post by Falconrider »

I will be using this build in a game tomorrow that is going to be 2500pts.

Level 3 Supreme Sorceress - 625 pts
Black Dragon
PoK
BDE
Tomb of Furion

She will be taking the lore of death and will be supported by a level 2 shadow mage.

Her main roles are -

firing purple suns down the enemy battle-lines.
breathing on elite units to stall their charge, esp if they are within firing range of my horde rhb corsair unit.
supportive flank and rear charges.
be a general pain in the rear (pun intended).
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

My best so fare are combo build for my sorceress, follow my topic on magic optimization. I've called them the "Headache's sisters".

Lvl4, Dark Lore, Dagger, Talisman of protection (4+ ward)
Lvl2, Death or Shadow Lore, Tome of Furion, Pendant.

They can throw about 5-6 spells each turn, with an average throw on the winds of magic. They proved to be so effetive in any situation that I always add them, maybe I'll modeled somehting to represent them.

Good games!
Falconrider
Corsair

Post by Falconrider »

The Battle Sorceress.

Level 4 Death or Shadow Mage
Pendant
BDE
Whip of Agony

She joins a unit of SSS Corsairs and has 3 S5 attacks + the egg in combat.
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

Chuck Norris (named by his enemies)

Master BSB on Dark Pegasus (full armour, Pendant of Khaeleth, Soulrender)
Dragon Helm + mundane great weapon can replace Soulrender if facing metal magic frequently

1730 victory points in two games. Slaughtered a Savage Orc Boss on Wyvern, killed an Engine of the Gods to its last wound, killed more than 50 dryads, warmachines, trolls, you name it - Chuck does it!
The fact is, once he charges in, he roundhouse-kicks everything without ranks with +1CR from charging, +1CR from BSB and a soulrending great weapon! He deals with etherals, he deals with characters, he deals with monsters, he deals with knights, he deals with monstreous infantry or he can even hold up big blocks pretty well. As for the BSB bonus, it is always right where you need it: In the middle of combat!!
Handsome jack
Executioner

Post by Handsome jack »

I've been adding the BDE to almost all my builds as the toughness 6 and 2d6 hits almost always breaks a non steadfast opponnent
handsome jack
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

The morning whipper

Pegasus Master (BSB or not)
Full mundane armor kit
Whip of Agony
Dawnstone

4 S5 AP attacks @WS6 and hatred
2+/1+ re-rollable armor save

No one use only trinkets and the juicy wards can be used by someone else. I use him all the time because he is so all-round.
You have reached the Department of Circular Reasoning.

Please hold.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Here's a simple sorceress for skirmisher hunting.

Lv2 w/ Lifetaker and Tome of Furion (Lore of Fire) - 180pts

She is primarily tasked with joining a unit of Shades for best results since she then becomes a skirmisher, therefore can march and shoot with the Lifetaker. Fireball will be her primary spell, allowing her to cast fireball on the skirmish target and mop them up with shooting afterwards. Lv2 instead of Lv1 because it'll be easier to cast fireball, Tome of Furion so she has a greater diversity of spells to do other jobs aside from Skirmisher hunting.

And here's a 'stop hitting yourself' Lv4 supreme sorceress

Lv4 w/ Black Amulet & Tome of Furion or The Other Trickster's Shard/Sacrificial Dagger (Dark Magic) - 275~285

Her primary spell is Soul Stealer, and her best use is to go solo against the nastiest thing your opponent has. As you may have guessed by now, she starts off with casting Soul Stealer to max out her wounds to 6, from that point on, she can comfortably take those 4+ wards to attempt to rebound the wounds back onto the attacker(s). It's always a good idea to position her near an enemy block of a relatively large size so she can continue replenishing any lost wounds she suffers whilst in combat to infinitely work that Black Amulet.

It also doesn't hold her bunker unit back from combat either when there's a great opportunity to attack and you had yet to remove her from the unit the turn before. I've also found that once your opponent realises what the Black Amulet does, and that she's sitting on 6 wounds, they tend to ignore her during CC too, so your sorceress would be safe from harm. It's also why it's better to run her solo and play more aggressively at times too, so your opponent's Bloodthirster for example, would be forced to attack her, and kill themselves in the process.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Geist
Noble

DreadLord and Master Builds

Post by Geist »

I bring to your attention my fellow followers of all things dark and corrupted several new builds.
First we have the master of challenges.
DreadLord Master of Blades
Orge Blade
pendent of Khaleth (sp)
dragonhelm
the other tricksters shard
full mundane kit dark Pegasus.
This build allows for your lord to never be stomped or thunder stomped, and with his high strength most Armour saves should be negated follow that up with the shard and most folks will die in a round or two of combat with him.

Next is the slaver king.
Dreadlord slave maker.
Whip of agony
shield of grond
talisman of preservation
full mundane kit dark Pegasus.
This is the secondary lord I run in my list. I must first say that I am amazed just time and time again by how good the shield of grond is. That thing makes the difference so many times against so many things its amazing. The 5 attacks he gets lets him just wail the crap out of most units.

In fact one game when dreadlord the master of challenges had a bad day and ran from a combat and, was promptly run over by chaos knights, slaver king flew into same unit. The slaver king then procdeed to hold up the knights and do the last 2 wound to the chaos lord on a mount with a 1+ armour save and a 3+ ward save. Took like 3 rounds of combat but he did it.

Now on to the masters.
We have master bsb builds first the unkillable fly boy.
BSB master of the skies.
Full mundane kit. lance.
Cloak of hag grief (another over looked piece of kit)
Dawn stone.
Dark Pegasus.
With the main rule book change stating that Armour saves are not negated by cannon balls(just the fact that most things can not take a -7 mod to Armour) and only a handful of spells and war machines that deny Armour any more. This makes this bsb build very good at taking incoming fire. A 1+ rerollable save vs shooting is not easy to take down. The lance is there for those war machines that need hunting down or a combat he can for sure win. Again the Pegasus makes him stomp proof and adds in the needed fly movement to ensure he never need take a charge.

Next up my bsb build to deal with hellpits and large regen blocks like grave guard. Caveat this build has zero field testing only my conjecture on how well it actually works.
BSB hell on wheels.
Full mundane kit, lance and repeater crossbow.
COC
Banner of Eternal Flame.
There are several schools of thought that work around this build. First he has a repeater crossbow so that his few shots can set the tempo for an entire armies worth of shooting at a target that has Regen. Just need one wound and there is also the other charioteer that has a crossbow as well to help get that one vital wound. Next is the fact that the very same flaming attacks he makes in hand to hand will happen above the highest initiative step(impact hits).

I do not know how well you lot understand how vital this is, so let me just explain a lil so it makes perfect sense. If some one has a flaming attack at their initiative step then if they have "normal attacks" at that same initiative, then the normal attacks will allow regen. So this is very vital to make sure none of the saves get the regen. Impact hits begin at the very start of combat before challenges before strike first before anything.

I plan on testing out hell on wheels soon. More info as the games go. I more than likely will play a series of 3 or more games with him and see just how things go. More as time goes on.
Air Cav for the win!!
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

RafaPolit wrote:Friends,

What do you think of combining the Armour of Eternal Servitude with the Dragonbane Gem? As I see it, it beats by 10 points the Armour of Destiny, and it produces better dice options:
4+ Regen for most of the time, and fire attacks that would deny regeneration have a 2+ Ward.

Am I missing something? I believe it helps overcome some of the issues with the PoK with no-strength attacks, am I right?

Thanks for any insight.

Rafa.

Your missing Killing blow. It ignores regen, and if this going on a bsb or a lord then well that's not something you want to leave out.

Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Indeed, I wasn't aware it doesn't protect against KB, learned the hard way there. But, it makes your character softer and would be better for comp score compared to the typical unkillable build that's so common now.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Hey guys whoever is importing the character builds, into the main thread can some one do that for my few builds?