8th edition: Various Character Builds

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Shifty
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Shifty »

Falconrider wrote:The Silent Assassin
Dreadlord - Deathpiercer, Armour of Darkness, Pendant of Khaleth and Other Tricksters Shard, Dark Steed.

I also noticed this combo, and I was thinking of trying out the following build to make the most of it.

Dreadlord
Deathpiercer
the Other Trickster's Shard
Talisman of Preservation
Dragonhelm, heavy armor, SDC, shield
Manticore.

This guy weighs in at 450 points, so he's no slouch. But he has the 1+ armor save, 4+ ward, 2+ fire ward, and 0+ against shooting. He causes Terror, and has the 18'' leadership range.

Most importantly though, the shard makes models in base to base re-roll successful ward saves, so it augments the manticore as well. Thats 8 Killing Blow attacks (on the charge), half with hatred. There is even 5 points left over, so you can add in the BRB potion that gives 'Devastating Charge' and have 9 KB attacks if you like.
Last edited by Shifty on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other human invention in history…
…with the possible exception of handguns and tequila." -Mitch Ratcliffe
Lancesaba
Warrior

Post by Lancesaba »

I was planning to run this as a vary defensive supreme sorceress

Supreme Sorceress
lvl 4
Dark Pegasus
Pendant of Khaeleth
Dispel Scroll
Potion of Health

So far she is pretty good and hasn't died one in 4 games. She surfs around my back line taking pop shots with lore of fine (for the extended range)

she flies away from danger, has a scroll for those needed moments, revers ward for those war machines and has a decent chance hiding far away from bows, and the potion is for those miscasts and wounds that do get through.
Originally posted by CasaHouse:You're arguing realism in a game where skaven can use an unstable radioactive stone like cocaine, Lizards can shoot blowpipes without lips, Trolls can regrow severed heads, and some knights' faith can make cannonballs bounce off them like tennis balls. But no! They shouldn't be able to repeatedly use lances! That just wouldn't be realistic enough!
The warchief
Cold One Knight

Post by The warchief »

What about:

Master
Dark Pegasus
Ring of Hotek
Cloak of Hag Graef
HA, Sh, Lance

For 190pts, 1+ armour save and shooting at half strength in order to get the Hotek bubble where you want it. Extra wound now and can't target the Pegasus seperatley. Coud possibly double up as a war machine hunter?
@the_warchief
Cheltenham Warchiefs
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

I like that- but could you swap Dark Steed for less points, and once it's in a unit, since it's similar, it wouldn't be able to be targeted separately as a Peg would? If you could do that, you'd have a REALLY mobile shooty set up that takes out Caster EASILY
Oderint dum Metuant.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Hey, that's my pegasus master build.
And it's on pegasus for a reason. Gives him ability to more easily avoid enemy troops (by flying over them) and adds the master a 3rd wound.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

I have to consider that combo.

If you take Black Amulet and Blood Armour, that one is expensive but is just progressively MEANER lol;wish the B. A. and Tormentor sword worked together lol Could you imagine the unsavable hit and perpetual stupidity?
Fencer's Blades and Eternal Flame Banner 2 flaming attacks for under 50 points!

Really screwing with the rolls: Trickster's Helm+ DawnStone (sure it's 75 points, but FUNNY!)

Helm of Discord +Doom & Darkness (oh dear khaine, the fun we'll have!)
Oderint dum Metuant.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

LanceSaba wrote:I was planning to run this as a vary defensive supreme sorceress

Supreme Sorceress
lvl 4
Dark Pegasus
Pendant of Khaeleth
Dispel Scroll
Potion of Health

That's my supreme's build too, except that I use the focus familiar to get her into better range for soul stealer or purple sun or whatever short ranged spell I want to get off.
Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

Friends,

What do you think of combining the Armour of Eternal Servitude with the Dragonbane Gem? As I see it, it beats by 10 points the Armour of Destiny, and it produces better dice options:
4+ Regen for most of the time, and fire attacks that would deny regeneration have a 2+ Ward.

Am I missing something? I believe it helps overcome some of the issues with the PoK with no-strength attacks, am I right?

Thanks for any insight.

Rafa.
Last edited by Rafapolit on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Nope, you're not missing anything, it's an awesome 40 point combination for protection, leaving you with plenty points left for weapons (Giant Blade for +3 S maybe?)
7th edition army book:

Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

Thanks Dalamar, that was exactly the build I had in mind:

Brute-Lord (279pts):
- Armour of Eternal Servitud, Dragonbane Gem, Giant Blade, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Cold One

Has S7!, 1+ AS, 4+ Regen, 2+ WSv against Fire.

With Ld10 and the support of a BSB, I don't think stupidity would matter. If it did, a DS could change that 1+ AS to 2+ without the Stupidity.

What do you think?
Rafa.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I think it's a really nice Lord to lead a Cold One based army. Place him in a unit of at least 11 Cold One Knights and he fits snugly.

Or give him Crown of Command and put on a chariot ;)
7th edition army book:

Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Hi folks

id like to make an addition to the characters in the OP. Since Beast masters scourge got a huge buff in the FAQ (it now gives an additional attack) i think that the whip of agony or even a normal BMS should be the cheap weapon of choice for almost any combat character.

If you do the maths for the 4 obvious cheap combat weapons; WoA, Deathpiercer and Crimson Death and Ogre Blade for a Dreadlord the result is the following:

t3 enemies:
WoA is best except if armorsave is 1+ (empire knights)

t4 enemies:
WoA is best except if AS is 4+ or better (chaos warriors, iron breakers...)

t5-7 enemies:
Soulrender is always best (monsters)

t8+ enemies:
Soulrender is best if AS is 2+ or better (steam tank)

However if you dont like the always strike last on soulrender, compare to crimson death (ogre blade is the same):

t3 enemies:
WoA is always better

t4 enemies:
They are exactly the same (!) but WoA wins cause it requires only one hand.

t5-7 enemies:
CD is always better (or the same)

t8+ enemies:
WoA is always best

so, ive rambled a bit off topic here i notice, but in conclusion, Soulrender is naturally powerful against high toughness heavy armored troops, but against everything except t5-7 enemies WoA will be better than crimson death (and ogre blade). Crimson death loses a bit of its charm since it requires 2 hands, so unless you are wearing armor of darkness i would never chose it over WoA. Ogre blade is then viable if you want to go and challenge chaos lords, or kill big monsters (striking last against such foes is not recommended, so soulreaper isnt really an option) WoA seems like the weapon of choice.

ps. i also did the maths for regen armor + dragon bane gem, and i was a bit disappointed. if you field him on foot, he has a 3+ armor save, and that makes him take MORE woulds than he would with just armor of darkness unless the enemy has at least S6 (-3 AS). However, if you stick him on a cold one (1+ AS anyway), you are obviously better off with regen armor :)
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Wow, I go on vacation and look what happens. :shock:

Various builds will be added shortly.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

New Hero Build:
Bearer on the Wing by The Warchief and druchii.net

New Lord Builds:
Death from Above by Shifty
Brute-Lord by RafaPolit
Mistress of Agony by Meteor
Aerial Support by LanceSaba

*phew*
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

dude rafa, that's an awsome DL build! I really like the 4+ regen and if they don't like you taking a 4+ regen, then you can take a 2+ ward instead. And you still have 1+ AS to boot, that's just pure awsome.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
The_internet
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by The_internet »

Here are my favorites:

Dreadlord
Dark Pegasus
Crimson Death
Armor of Darkness
Talisman of Preservation

Flying CR factory; with bonuses from charging and rear/flank and s6/s5 attacks, he can swing the tide of a lot of combats.

Master
Battle Standard
Dark Steed
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield
Sword of Might
Pendant of Khaeleth

Very deadly against anything that doesn't have ranks. Hold up/break lone monsters or ogre sized infantry and the like. Broke a unit of 4 Minotaurs + Gorebull on the charge the other day.
-- The Internet, not just for pr0n anymore

"Their is know spoone" -- the Matricks

Drg
Slave on the Altar

Post by Drg »

Here's the combo I used to kill a hell pit abomination in the last tournament I went to:

Dreadlord
    Dragonhelm
    PoK
    Crown of Command
    Heavy Armor; Sea Dragon Cloak; Great Weapon
    Pegasus

288 pts; 2+AS (1+vs shooting)

Haha, I got charged by the hellpit abomination. After 4 rounds, weathering the storm of 50+ attacks/thunderstomps, the Dreadlord survived with 1 wound left.

Stubborn came in handy on several occasions throughout the tournament as well.

Alternatively, if you want better armor, and don't want to strike last, You can use the Sword of might and Shield for a 1+AS (300pts).
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

how did he manage to get 50 attacks to connect with a 40x40mm base?

I want to add a variant of "the great equalizes" that i think has many perks.

Master
+Battle Standard Bearer
+Shield
+Sea Dragon Cloak
+Beastmaster's Scourge
+Blood Armour
+Black Dragon Egg
+Luckstone

167 pts

BMS is almost always better than halberd (as i posted above). It might be paranoid to use so much armour in combination with Blood Armour, but its only a couple of points. He will only have to cause 2 wounds to get down to a 1+ AS, and if that lucky goblin manages to poke him in the eye, the Luckstone allows him to re roll that "1", and is essentially an extra wound.

I put him in a large unit of warriors. When the enemy charges (or i charge for that matter) i use the Egg to deplete their ranks a bit, and get a quick boost of active combat resolution. The Warbanner i give the warriors and the extra point from BSB means that i should be able to win at least the first round of combat with a few points, and since i play a deep formation i will most likely have most ranks, making enemies lose steadfast and run.

EDIT: oh and armour piercing does not stack with breath weapon since the rulebook FAQ
Drg
Slave on the Altar

Post by Drg »

Lord Tsunami wrote:how did he manage to get 50 attacks to connect with a 40x40mm base?

Round 1
D6 impact hits
rolls a 4 3d6 attacks
thunderstomp d6 autohits

Round 2
rolls a 4 3d6 attacks
thunderstomp d6 autohits

Round 3
rolls a 5
Dreadlord passes initiative test but takes the 2d6 autohits
thunderstomp d6 autohits

Round 4
rolls a 6
Dreadlord passes initiative test but takes the 2d6 autohits
thunderstomp d6 autohits

Yeah, he was rolling well, but averages would be around 42 str 6 hits.
(sorry for the off topic)
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

ah, i thought you meant 50 attacks per round :D
L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

Query on Cal's A-M DLord: How Immune to Fear? How on a Mount (and Armour Save) if in a unit of BK?
Oderint dum Metuant.
Isryion
Trainee Warrior

Post by Isryion »

Personally, I think that the best kind of characters we can take are those that are force multipliers in some way or do something our units can't do. With that in mind, I think most characters that are simply built to fight, or even resist close combat damage aren't good enough unless they're killing something our troops can't. Anyway, end of the editorial and here are some of the builds I'm going to try.

Midnight Dreadlord Dreadlord w/ Crimson Death (str 6), Armor of Darkness (1+ AS), Opal Amulet (4+ ward once), and Crystal of Midnight (LD 3D6 or lose a spell). Yeah, I mentioned the fighty/damage resistance issue, but in this case the character will add support to an infantry unit, but is really there to hopefully steal a spell from my opponent's mage. The reason for this build is what I see is a lot of reliance on single level 4s in this edition, and hopefully the crystal will limit that. After that, the dreadlord hangs out with a unit like spears to give them a little more punch. I'm not convinced this build will work, but I'm going to give it a try. Ideally, combine with Doom and Darkness.

Deadeye. Dreadlord w/ guiding eye (one use reroll for unit for shooting), lifetaker (30" hits on 2+, 3x shots) and whatever else you'd like, though I'd consider Seal of Ghrond if you are good at keeping characters out of combat). He goes in one of those large units of rxbows (20+ w/shields) people are talking so much about. He's not a fighter, so the less he is in combat the better, though throwing a halberd on him will make this unit a daunting one to charge, if it wasn't already.

I've got other thoughts on particular items that might be useful and not so much builds, but I really think that combat characters in this edition should have a clear purpose beyond killing rank and file.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

"midnight dreadlord" has way over 100p of magic items ;)
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Midnight Dreadlord Dreadlord w/ Crimson Death (str 6), Armor of Darkness (1+ AS), Opal Amulet (4+ ward once), and Crystal of Midnight (LD 3D6 or lose a spell).

"midnight dreadlord" has way over 100p of magic items

CD: 25 points
AoD: 25 points
Opal Amulet: 15 points
Crystal of Midnight: 35 points
That's 100 ;)

Dreadlord
Deathpiercer
the Other Trickster's Shard
Talisman of Preservation
Dragonhelm, heavy armor, SDC, shield
Manticore.

This guy weighs in at 450 points, so he's no slouch. But he has the 1+ armor save, 4+ ward, 2+ fire ward, and 0+ against shooting. He causes Terror, and has the 18'' leadership range.

Except the manti has T5, 4 wounds and no armour save: your dreadlord is going to need to catch a lift!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Crimson death costs 35 points, doesnt it?

go with whip of agony instead. its better anyway ;)