Battle Standard Bearers

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lorddredd
Trainee Warrior

Battle Standard Bearers

Post by Lorddredd »

I'm involved in a growth league that started at 500 points, and goes to 2000, increasing 250 points each round. At what level would you suggest the addition of a BSB? Also, what are the pros and cons of taking a cauldron over a magical standard? What might be better with what types of armies?

Shane
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Probably between 1000-1200. Depends if you want them mounted or on foot.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Lorddredd
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lorddredd »

saintofm wrote:Probably between 1000-1200. Depends if you want them mounted or on foot.

I would most likely be fielding him on foot. Would it be better to put him in a unit and give him a magic standard, or give him offensive goodies to kill stuff better? Can a unit benefit from two magic banners in it?
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

Also recall: You're going to be able to make the BSB part of your Cauldron when you reach the appropriate point level (for 225... don't think the points for the Standard go against the numeric %'s )

and Oh yes they can stack, so long as there is no rule against stacking (eg: if you had Frenzy and somehow got an...example banner... of Frenzy? only one Frenzy counts, only one extra attack) most common examples of this is Hag Graef for the BSB and Murder for the unit
Oderint dum Metuant.
Lorddredd
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lorddredd »

L1qw1d wrote:Also recall: You're going to be able to make the BSB part of your Cauldron when you reach the appropriate point level (for 225... don't think the points for the Standard go against the numeric %'s )

and Oh yes they can stack, so long as there is no rule against stacking (eg: if you had Frenzy and somehow got an...example banner... of Frenzy? only one Frenzy counts, only one extra attack) most common examples of this is Hag Graef for the BSB and Murder for the unit

Can the cauldron and its attendants be bunkered in a unit like a normal bsb?
L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

The Cauldron is a WarMachine, so no- but recall: only 6 melee attackers can go after it, shooters are shooting at T10. I've always been unclear if another model can join since the models are now 'placeholders' for its Wounds (btw we sneak an extra wound in. Heh).

The reason it's considered a bit better is the 12" bubble for the Stubborn I believe and its Blessings and the defencibility offered. Sure, you only move 5" a turn, but hey, most people get VERY protective of the thing that gives them their Ward, an attack or their KB
Oderint dum Metuant.
L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

BTW: Cancel: finally had 20 whole minutes to myself, and lo pg 97. No characters to War Machines, Monsters, or...pretty much anything 'unsafe for them'

Guess Hellebron has no Cauldron
Oderint dum Metuant.
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

L1qw1d wrote:BTW: Cancel: finally had 20 whole minutes to myself, and lo pg 97. No characters to War Machines, Monsters, or...pretty much anything 'unsafe for them'

Guess Hellebron has no Cauldron

Army Books supercedes BRB though, and the DE book tells us Hellebron can join a cauldron. Which creates a confusing situation, since it also tells us she replaces the Death Hag.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

WARHAMMER ARMIES:
DARK ELVES
Official Update Version 1.4

Q: If Crone Hellebron accompanies a Cauldron of Blood, does she
replace the Death Hag? Furthermore, if she does this does she become
an additional crew member? (p66)
A: Yes to both.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}