Anybody ever try out 2 lvl 3's in 2400+ pts

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Themormon
Slave on the Altar

Anybody ever try out 2 lvl 3's in 2400+ pts

Post by Themormon »

Working on different lord choice combos, came up with the idea of using 2 lvl 3's instead of a lvl 4 and lvl 2 like most lists I see. This creates 2 threats that the opponent will have to focus on. Also, this lets you be a little more daring while dispelling since you can fail with one mage and still have another lvl 3 able to dispell. Lots of nasty combos are possible:

Lvl3 Shadow, PoK, Dagger
Lvl3 Death, Pegasus, Focus Familiar

Lvl 3 Shadow, PoK, Dagger
Lvl 3 Metal, Scroll, Talisman of Preservation

Lvl 3 Fire, PoK, Guiding Eye, Scroll
Lvl 3 Dark, Focus Familiar, Ruby Ring of Ruin

Any body else have experience with this kinda set up? How about a lvl 3 + lvl 4?
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

At a 2500 tournament, I ran 2 level 4s, looking like this.

Lvl4- Dark, Pendant, Dagger- 315 (In unit of 55 spears)
Lvl4- Fire, Darkstar Cloak, Guiding Eye- 305 (In unit of 24 crossbows)

The magic phase was absolutely brutal. So much ranged damage from two offensive spells, especially because both lores are all very cheap to cast. Some turns, it felt like the phase went forever because I was casting 2POD+ 5-8 spells per turn. Dark was casting lots of Black Horrors, Soul Stealers, Blade Winds and Word of Pains, While fire was buffing the crossbows every turn with Flaming Sword, 2D6ing fireball every turn, and Flamecaging any large infantry block.

I seriously recommend trying it. I didnt go Shadow because I was confident the list would have then been a resubmit (I got 10/20 for my actualy list), but was glad I went with Dark and Fire because their damage output and spamming ability was what really made the list shine.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

The main problems of running those would be the times you roll low on numbers of PD, or in battles where you are restricted with the PD generation... then you pay a lot of points for things you'll only get to use partly.

That being said, I'd love to go for high levels sorcs of shadow and dark magic :D
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Omnichron wrote:The main problems of running those would be the times you roll low on numbers of PD
DE magic shines when PD are low... because DD are low, too. But that is especially true when using a Lvl4 with dagger.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Not really, Omnichron. With my setup, for example, consider you roll a 2 and a 2 for WoM, so you get 4 PD and your enemy gets 2DD.

You auto get +1PD for Darkstar Cloak. You then use that dice plus a single dice from the pool for POD. You then use the Sac Dag + one dice from the pool for another POD. Suddenly, you have 2+(D3+1)x2 PD (6-10 dice) compared to your enemy's 2DD, and you also have the Sac Dag to potentially give an extra dice per casting.

Hell, rolling low numbers is the best thing you can do with that type of Magic Phase because the enemy will have too few DD to even dispel one spell if it dispel's anything at all.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Yes, generally speaking when you have low dices you can generate a ton of extra dices... IF your enemy doesn't stop your initial PoD attempts. Also, I very rarely get to play without limitations to generating PD, so the max I get to generate is 2-3 extra PD in each magic phase in almost all the games I play.

Without those restrictions, you'll have a better chance of getting to use a lot of the magic... although magic has a lot of randomness to it, and each sorceress cost a lot and can't take much wounds. So, you spend a lot to do randomly well in the magic phase and will have less of steady units in the list. That's my main issue with it.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10