Cauldron in 8th

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Melikai The Wicked wrote:Terror is downed played and since its classed as a war machine its never gonna charge anyone anyways so why bother to have that rule

I'll repeat what others have pointed out in regards to that one previously. Terror has the benefits of fear too, ie your six opponents attacking the CoB could possibly fail that fear check and strike you with WS1. That makes a huge impact on the survival of your hags.

Melikai The Wicked wrote:as for MR, well a loss but we have a 4+ ward so its no big deal as MR gives us a ward of 4+ anyways. I think it makes the COB a more acceptable unit to bring in battle and ppl wont complain as much as we give our horde of spears killing blow :twisted:

It's no big deal since we've got that 4+ ward on default, but having the MR1 would've improved it to 3+. Once again, it makes a difference to the chances of your hags surviving for another turn. Upgrading from a 6+ to a 5+ I wouldn't care too much, but upgrading from a 4+ to a 3+ is a difference that shouldn't be overlooked.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
C_freman
Dark Rider

Post by C_freman »

In the last version of the FAQs we got back terror and MR1...
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

Yes, I did mis-read the War Machine title. I was sleepy, sorry.

I think the other reason Terror on the unit is effective is the defencive value as much as the attack (as the unit cannot Charge)- Since the Terror isn't "in a radius" of a certain number of inches and is just the one unit, if someone either doesn't know us, or makes a booboo in combat and charges us, it's a NASTY surprise to see us just saying "okie standard charge reaction of:..." and leaving the flanks up and open for others :D :)
Oderint dum Metuant.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Terror offers no defensive value that I can see. And in combat it is destined to get wiped out in one or two turns depending on the quality of the attacker.
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

phierlihy wrote:I'm not sure I follow your logic. Terror offers no defensive value that I can see. And in combat it is destined to get wiped out in one or two turns depending on the quality of the attacker.

It adds some defensive value. Terror causing units also cause fear, meaning that if your opponent fluffs his ld rolls, he becomes ws 1. It's not by any means a reliable defense, but better than nothing...
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

... and also cause fear in Fear-causers, as before.