Chariot vs. COK

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Duguay-trouin
Shade

Chariot vs. COK

Post by Duguay-trouin »

I haven't found this question considered under 8th yet, my apologies if it has.

Choosing between the Chariot and COK, which will you take? or both?

The chariot has the advantages of being a smaller frontage so it will receive fewer attacks in return, and costs less.

However, not being able to march means that it will be the slowest unit in the battle line. Unless you deploy it perfectly from the start, you may have a very hard time getting it into a flank like you want to.

Thoughts?
Darktan
Cold One Knight

Post by Darktan »

taking both, a 5-8 unit of CoK with full command, and chariot ridden by a BSB.

the chariot isn't all that slow, considering the speed of everything, it'll find itself in combat soon enough, and it's pretty manouverable as i recall.
Strollinthewoods
Corsair

Post by Strollinthewoods »

For a while I will go with 2 chariots and 2 units of 6 knights ( no command) in my list, that does indeed include COB.

First and foremost I think its important to be aware of the fact that the two units do different things. Its not one ore the other kind of choise really. You just wont be speeding up flanks with your cold one chariots. They are after all actually quite slow, when they cant charge in order to get forward.

I see the 8ed cok as good support units, exelent at taking out enemy support without problems at all. I will not hesitate to use them to hunt down warmachines and the like. And I suspect they will be darn hard to stop, most usual "support" units just wont be able to deal with them at all.

Not giving away points before the last model bites the dust is good for units like cok. Its much harder to eliminate a unit of these than it is to wipe out 5 dark riders with rxb, that cost about the same amount of points.

In straight up battles, I prefere cocs over cok. But cok I feel gives the enemy generel a much harder time in order to mentally counter them. The speed difference is actually rather significant. And taking a ld test, and still be able to march will make cok units even much more of a threath behind enemy lines that they were in the last edition.

Both units have become better than what they were, so I take some of both! =)
Cold one night
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Cold one night »

I have been fielding a chariot in most of my 8th ed games and have been quite pleased with it.
My lists have consisted of blocked spears with smaller blocks of witches and corsairs, which in smaller games (1500) eat up a lot of points.
I find the chariot to be a very cost effective hammer, and pretty maneuverable to bot.
I usually deploy it a bit wide of my units on a flank and push up, leaving my infantry behind for 1 turn...eventually setting up a combo charge. The effects have been impressive.

I'm planning on running a unit of CoK with the Ruby Ring next game, think that will be a nasty surprise for my opponent ;)
What did one shade say to the other while on vacation?
-Lets share a Cold One
Strollinthewoods
Corsair

Post by Strollinthewoods »

im on vacation and dont have accsess to my books, what does the ruby ring do?
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Gives you the Fireball bound spell
Timz
Cold One Knight

Post by Timz »

Ruby ring probably not worth the points. Uses up your power dice, is easy to dispel with no casting bonus vs. enemy dispel bonus, and not cheap.

Against a Lvl.4 that'd be +0 to cast it vs. +4 to dispel it. It would only go off if you sacrificed several dice that your lvl.2 or lvl.4 could be using.

Bound spell items were useful in 7th, they mostly seem useless in 8th.
Cold one night
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Cold one night »

Its defiantly not a game breaker but:
1) you only need to throw 1 dice at it since its cast on a 3+
2) Any dispel dice back are that many fewer for your key spells
3) RRR only costs 25 pts

In 8th I have been delaying cav charges while infantry get into position so that would at least give them something to do while they wait...

Either an extra d6 s4 hits or one fewer dispel dice in the pool; worth the 25pts IMO
What did one shade say to the other while on vacation?
-Lets share a Cold One