Cold One Knight unit size

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Evolvingeye
Slave (off the Altar)

Cold One Knight unit size

Post by Evolvingeye »

I have a 2nd box of cold one knights to assemble and I am wondering if I should assemble them with the command like the first. How often do units of more than 5 or 6 get fielded? Are 10 man units ever worth it? How about 2 5 man units with full command?
Fuzzydeath
Cold One Knight

Post by Fuzzydeath »

in 8th edition 10 man units will not only be viable.. they'll be a good idea.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

i would even go for 12, since you at least have to kill 2 (or 3 if you deploy them 5 models wide) to prevent them from breaking rank bonus. a unit of 10 becomes unable to disrupt ranks after just 1 casualty.

but 5 might be viable too, assuming the opponent is already pinned to one of your anvils, and you already have the maximum static combat resolution. adding a bunch of extra kills will hopefully tip the combat in your favour even without disrupting the enemy ranks.

if you field them in 2 ranks, remember that the riders (not the mounts though) in the second rank can attack with 1 attack each.
Evolvingeye
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Evolvingeye »

Ok awesome. Thanks for the info! I may try to magnetize them but it's prolly more trouble than it's worth.
Ozzkoz
Corsair

Post by Ozzkoz »

It's totally worth it to magnetize all your models. I did my whole army and got a large box. I can safely put my units on the movement trays and in the box for super fast transport and setup.
Gorbad ironclaw
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gorbad ironclaw »

fuzzydeath wrote:in 8th edition 10 man units will not only be viable.. they'll be a good idea.

I don't think units of 10 are going to be a good idea. I think you will either want a few more than that to make sure you can keep a second rank and thus disrupt units or you will want 5-6 to keep them cheap and just provide supporting attacks/flank charge bonuses to other units.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I don't think that 10 man COK units are a good idea on a cost to effectiveness basis, because they will cost a bomb and will almost certainly disappoint. But I also don't think you should give them full command, as far as I can see two units of knights, as cheap as possible and used for hitting power would be a better option. Maybe give them a musician and/or a champion.

All those points for a unit that almost certainly will not break decent sized units on its own just isn't worth the points.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Fuzzydeath
Cold One Knight

Post by Fuzzydeath »

Well, I still think 10 CoKs are a good setup, despite the legitimate points brought up against the idea.

However, let's not forget:
10 CoKs are still dishing out 10 Str 6 attacks, and 5 Str 4 attacks on the charge, on a small enough frontage to probably not lose any attacks, even on the flank. (an advantage the formation shares over a 6x2 or 7x2 formation, to go along with of course being cheaper)

Naturally, heavy cav isn't meant to rout a big anvil block on one glorious charge anymore. The rules more or less see to it that a big unit pretty much always gets at least 1 stalwart break test. However, a 10 man squadron that gets its charge off is virtually guaranteed to win such a combat, and can do a combat reform to maximize frontage from there.

And of course if you're using the squadron in support of one of your OWN anvils, the pure damage it puts out should thin it out sufficiently that your block is the one with stalwart.. probably on that charge turn for a one round smoke!

And if you're NOT charging a big, stalwart block of infantry.. perhaps a monster or another supporting, elite punchy unit.. 10 CoKs again will be small enough to not lose many (or any) attacks, yet more than likely going to hit hard enough on init 6 to limit attacks back (from a 2 or 3 rank elite infantry unit) or hard enough to win combat with a monster due to being immune to stomp/thunderstomp. A 5 man unit couldn't do this second mission on its own, but a 10 man shouldn't have trouble. Given, a 12+ CoK unit should ALSO not have a problem, but they're even more expensive than 10 :)
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I have often played 10 COK in 6th/7th edition, and while they have sometimes failed me, they more often did quite well.

In 8th edition, they will have a lot of punch. Such a unit still only costs a bit more than 300 points, so it's not like it is super expensive.

Bye
Thanee
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I currently run 6 with a muso, but I will probably expand the unit to 8 in 2 ranks. They only need to lose a model to lose the ability to cancel ranks so I'm not going to plan on it. I have 14 strong witch and RXB units for that.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Gorbad ironclaw
Malekith's Best Friend

A unit of 8 in two ranks of 4 will not be able to cancel rank. You need two ranks of five as a minimum to be able to do that.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Like everything it depends on what you want out of the unit.

If you want to break ranks than 12+ is needed. However this is somewhat expensive, for what is in effect +3 combat res and can be handled by many cheaper units. If you are going to spend a stack of points on Knights then why not take 15 and have 2 ranks yourself. Stalwart CoK's!

I think smaller units will still be optimal as they can cause a decent amount of wounds and won't lose too many in return
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
The warchief
Cold One Knight

Post by The warchief »

Are there any merits in taking 2 units of 5 or 6 instead of one big unit?
@the_warchief
Cheltenham Warchiefs
Gorbad ironclaw
Malekith's Best Friend

Well for a start they can then be two places at once. They will also still do very well at providing additional support to bigger infantry blocks and a small unit of knights can happily be sent off chasing various enemy support units without it feeling like as much of a waste of points.