Where to put my Sorceress?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ozzkoz
Corsair

Where to put my Sorceress?

Post by Ozzkoz »

I'm planning on running a lvl 4 sorceress w/ sac dagger and PoK, would I be better served putting her in a 25-30 man unit of warriors, or a 20 man unit of RxB?

The warriors would be a cheaper option to sacrifice, but they should be moving forward with the intention of sticking a unit and letting my COK or WE hit them.

The RxB would probably help to keep her out of combat a little longer, but would be 10 points per dice.
Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maldor »

What lore are you using? If you're using Shadow, you can use smoke and mirrors to switch her out of the warriors when they get into combat and swap in a combat character.
Lock up your children, shut all windows tight.
The Witch Elves are hunting for victims tonight.
When old hags do knock at your door, you must hide,
Your death is the gift sought by Khaine's pretty brides.
Champion_re
Warrior

Post by Champion_re »

I run a lvl4 with exactly the same items. I always bring her into combat with my spearmen, and challenge with her asap. The PoK means my opponents high-strenght-uber-hitting character is almost taken out of action. (unless champ accept challenge which isn't a big threat to her anyway). That way it's up to my spearmen (and sometimes an assassin) to win the fight or stand steadfast vs small elite units until I can flank charge with chariot/WE/Exec's etc
Cam.ron
Warrior

Post by Cam.ron »

champion_re wrote:I run a lvl4 with exactly the same items. I always bring her into combat with my spearmen, and challenge with her asap. The PoK means my opponents high-strenght-uber-hitting character is almost taken out of action. (unless champ accept challenge which isn't a big threat to her anyway). That way it's up to my spearmen (and sometimes an assassin) to win the fight or stand steadfast vs small elite units until I can flank charge with chariot/WE/Exec's etc

That sounds really risky and not only are you taking out your opponents character but you are also taking out your magic phase.
I personally would give her a reasonably small unit of RxB without shields chances are you will sac too many for them to be useful by the time CC comes around and they will still be able to take down enemies with ranged attacks negating the points lost by sacrificing them. I find taking them in block of warriors nerfs them too much after a while and they become almost useless in CC situation and there is less chance of them killing back their points
Ozzkoz
Corsair

Post by Ozzkoz »

would 20 be too large? At 10 she'll likely be causing a panic test on in turn 1 o 2, and I'd still like the RxB to be effective at shooting.

On an aside, am I the only one that thinks it is silly that she can cause herself to panic by sacrificing more than 25% in a phase? It seems like her men should run from from her, but why would she all of a sudden look around and think "what have I done!"
Gorbad ironclaw
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gorbad ironclaw »

Because standing alone in the middle of a battlefield while her entire bodyguard is running away is probably a really bad idea? Consider it a tactical retreat on her part instead of running away so as not to present too tempting a target.

What I really want to try out is a sorceress with the Black Dragon Egg in a unit of spearmen. Risky, but if you time things right it should hopefully work.
Rogue-gladiator
Dark Rider

Post by Rogue-gladiator »

Gorbad Ironclaw wrote:Because standing alone in the middle of a battlefield while her entire bodyguard is running away is probably a really bad idea? Consider it a tactical retreat on her part instead of running away so as not to present too tempting a target.

Tactical retreat nothing, I see it more as her running after them, giant cleaver in hand, shouting "Come back here! It's just a pinprick!"
Eolelfslayer
Dark Rider

Post by Eolelfslayer »

Well, o know where i'd live my sorceresses...on the shelf!
On the other hand i think the presence of a sorceress, or rather more than one, could attract some attentions from enemy snypers, cannons and mages, leaving more important targets unengaged. I would not ler them cast much, so putting them into units is not that great a problem. But, if you plan on having a "i'll cast like hell" missy then you could either leave her on her own (possibly not that great an idea) or have a unit built for the purpuse of holding her (sorceress fodder).
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

i like a unit of 15 warriors. very cheap, she can sacrafice them and she wont be shot at. just make sure to have other units around to protect her from melee.

rxb guys probably work well too. they are more expensive to sacrafice, but they will at least do something instead of just being extra power dice :P
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Gorbad Ironclaw wrote:What I really want to try out is a sorceress with the Black Dragon Egg in a unit of spearmen. Risky, but if you time things right it should hopefully work.

I've been very pleased with this so far. Enemy rank-and-file has to roll very well to bring her down, and the high base Initiative of the sorc means that she can use the egg to deplete the enemy unit a bit before attacks are made. She can also use the egg as a normal breath weapon, before the enemy charges, to inflict even more casualties and potentially stall their charge with the Noxious breath rule for even more short-range crossbow shooting.

Another thing to keep in mind regarding Sorc placement is the range of your spells. Many of the new lores are quite short-range, unless you cast the upgraded version of the spell. Having her in a unit that is a bit more front-line can allow her to be in range to use her full spell selection.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Gorbad ironclaw
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gorbad ironclaw »

Cool, glad to hear someone is having success with that. It's probably going to take at least a couple of months before I get my own Dark Elves on the field again but it's nice to hear that it's not a completely daft idea.

Sure, if you end up with her in combat for several turns you are in trouble but you are probably in trouble at that point anyway and it just seemed like it would be a lot of fun to have a breathweapon in there.