Sniper dreadlord. Good or Waste?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Bozzy
Slave (off the Altar)

Sniper dreadlord. Good or Waste?

Post by Bozzy »

So just been looking around and wandering if it would be worth it to make a sniping dreadlord type character.. maybe equipting the lifetaker, guilded eye, and like armor of darkness or something else.. Would it be good or just better off making him a frontline unit for the points ? Thoughts?
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

I personally would only bother equipping a mage with it for a bit of biting. You're better off making your dreadlord a badass fighter so you're not wasting the 100pts of magic items and his combat potential.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

Dreadlords excell in close combat.

If you wish to include a "sniper" character in a ranged unit, I would DEFINATLY make it a supreme sorceress. Something like:

Supreme Sorceress with Guiding Eye, Lifetaker and Sacrificial Dagger/Darkstar Cloak - joined to either 30ish RxBs or 20 shades.

The supreme sorceress already wants to stay out of combat for spells, and adding shooting to her ranged capabelities only gives her a second purpose.
Bozzy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Bozzy »

Hmm very true... sort of off topic i guess... But what would be ur favorite dreadlord setup for 250points or lower....
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

It's not really a sniping model because none of the weapons available to a Druchii character have the ability 'snipe'.

So, I'd go with a no. If you want a sniping character, go and buy an empire army.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Bozzy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Bozzy »

I said sniping (being a new player didnt think much) but meant just a ranged dreadlord
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

the lord you're talking about (if you swap the Eye for a Dark Steed) is the Focused Harassment build
Oderint dum Metuant.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

I hereby insert a link to the list of builds created by members of druchii.net8th edition: Various Character Builds.

The Dreadlord is a little much to assign solely to a shooting role, however a Master would be a better link of points. Otherwise, see the Deadeye build under the Lords section for a good unit synergy when placing him in a unit of crossbowmen.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Bozzy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Bozzy »

Hmm Thanks for the link =) the focus harrasment build seems like it would be a fun unit to run.. would you run him alone or with a gorup of dark riders ? Also would it ever benefit to put a master on a chariot over their normal crew for the points cost ?
Last edited by Bozzy on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Only High Elves and Wood Elves really run dedicated "shooting" characters, and even then it's kind of tough to justify that role since you're paying a lot of points for combat potential that isn't really used much.

Those characters are also a lot less popular now, since both Wood Elves and High Elves need to spend more of their Magic Item allowance on defensive wargear, or else buy entirely different Lord/Hero setups altogether just to be able to stand a chance in 8th edition.

The fact that the Lifetaker automatically hits on a given value, regardless of Ballistic Skill, means you don't need a Dreadlord or Master in order to be effective; let them carve things up in melee, and let the Sorcs do the damage from range.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Look at it this way: 30 points = 3 RxBs. I'd usually prefer them over lifetaker (you get 6 shots, plus 3 rank and file models who can do stuff in combat, contribute to your core percentage and don't take up magic item points and weapons slot).

The only character who has any place carrying lifetaker imo is a level 4 sorceress on a blackdragon, with pendant of khaine. It adds to her killing potential when she's flying around zapping and breathing on stuff, without detracting anything.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Bozzy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Bozzy »

Point is definitly taken =)
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

249 pts Dreadlord... Whip of Agony, Armour of Eternal Servitude, Dragonbane Gem, Crown of Command, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield

With 30 more points you can buy him a Cold One, too. :)

Bye
Thanee
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Six more shots doesn't necessarily mean it's better than a lifetaker. Sure it only fires three shots, but they're at S4 for one, so you have a better chance to wound for the same -1 modifier, you can expect all three shots to hit reliably most of the time on a 2+ no matter what. You'll be lucky if you get two hits constantly with six shots that hits at 5+ on average from your RXBs (for multishot and long range). If your target is at short range of your RXB then there's something very wrong ;)

Thanks Thanee, only realised how retarded I was when I went away to check it later on. Shows how often I rely on SoM :D
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued