"Must Have" Druchii units?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Myrkrdreki
Shade

Post by Myrkrdreki »

10 CoK in two ranks pack quite a punch. Personaly I like them allot, they are a nice hammer. However, it's not a "must have" unit ;)
8th Edition:

W/D/L
14/1/4
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

The "must-haves" are really: One unit of harpies and a war hydra. 19/20 competative DE lists will contain that. Not that these two units are neccesarily central in the army list, but their cost-effectiveness is simply to good to pass...

The "near-must-haves" are: Cauldron (BSB), a unit of Spearmen and a unit of shades. No Matter which kind of lists and opponent you play, these three units are really useful.

Depending on the style of your army, other units may also be completely vital. If you plan on holding back to use magic and shooting, RxBs and shades are mandatory along with sorceresses. If you plan on winning the battle decisively in the close combat quaters, either a CoK or executioner semi-deathstar is VERY useful.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

I don't think there are any must have units, to be honest. War hydra's are all nice and well, but to there is more than one way to design a list, and there are lots of ways that don't use monsters at all.

I also strongly disagree with having a cauldron BSB. It's a waste. For starters, having the BSB in the thickest of fighting, contributing to the CR is very useful, and secondly that model is important enough as just cauldron. Add a BSB to that and you can be sure where your opponent's attention will be focused. This also requires you to have those near the thick of battle, and one unit breaking through can wreak havoc, and when you have a hole in your battle line, and on top of that lose your BSB and the cauldron buff all at once, you're just about done with. It's just too many eggs in one basket too close to people who are hell bent on kicking it.

There are very few "must haves". What you do with your list is much more important than the list itself. In order to be competetive you need to know what you're doing, not have a list with all the mos powerful units in it. Most lists can be made to work, one way or another. Those of us who played 6th ed armie have learned that lesson because we had no unit that was an immediate threat, it was when they were combined that they got powerful. I still like playing that way, it makes for much more interesting games and much less writing lists.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Warpanda
Trainee Warrior

Post by Warpanda »

Just stick In My opinion in front of everything I say:
Because BSB's are so important. You do not want them in the thick of the fight. Once you break from combat your dead. It is much better having a bsb hanging back giving the re-rolls. +1 Combat rez is not that great. Re-rolling all leadership tests 12" is awesome.

Harpies, well, there terrible. Shades and Dark Riders are better for the points. But I know lots of people are hanging on to those models and playing them. I have a hard time seeing them as competitive though. I think they are a waste of points.

I will tell you what the "must have" are, whatever unit you need in your army list that serves its purpose and does what it is designed to do. If your unit fills the niche it was picked for...then its a must have, If you are using a unit that has no real purpose and is unnecessary in your list, well..then...thats a nother topic all together.
Blackbone
Trainee Warrior

Post by Blackbone »

I'm going to vote for:

War Hydra
6+ Shades
14+ Black Guard with full command
Level 4 Supreme Sorceress
Fighty BSB

Just can't imagine a game without them.

- Blackbone