Characters (specifically wizards) in units of skirmishers

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ernie55
Slave (off the Altar)

Characters (specifically wizards) in units of skirmishers

Post by Ernie55 »

Hi all, I'm thinking of adding a unit of 5-7 AHW shades to my list to act as a body guard for my lvl 1 sorceress with death lore, tome and lifetaker.

I know characters joining the unit gain skirmisher rules (which I take to include firing on the march and as many reforms as they like) but can I plonk the vulnerable wizard in the second rank? Particularly for making/taking charges so she can't be targetted in combat? I think its a bit ambiguous as the BRB only seems to talk about placing characters in the front rank in 'proper units' with ranks and command groups and such.

Just to let people know the wizard is largely anti-character, so aims to get at least one of Spirit Leach, Caress of Laniph or Curse of the chicken bhuna (or very very rarely purple sun depending on oppo - eg lizzies or ogres) and they are largely 12-24" close range and don't require line of sight merely having the target in frontal arc, and my lvl 4 uses shadow magic.

Thanks in advance for the help
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Problem is the mage can't scout to join the shades. If you don't mind walking for the first 2-3 turns to get to range for the easy cast, sure no problem.

The mage would wind up in the first rank though, so you should probably take a Bloodshade as guardian against lone challengers. Since there is no command, she's force to the front since nothing can bar her from that rank.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.