Shades in units of 5 or 10?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Kaleth stinson
Black Guard

Shades in units of 5 or 10?

Post by Kaleth stinson »

Hi!

I'm currently using 2 units of 5 Shades in my 2500 ETC comped list and playing with the idea of just having the one unit of 10 instead.

I see more and more lists that use 2x10 shades with great sucsess, and if i had the money/points and not having max 35 rxb comp i would use them, but as my list is now I only have 10.

As far as I can see there are advantages on both cases.

Anyone that has some inside tips on the case?
Jaith wrote:
"Why 10% more expensive?"

Mighty Beardtrix wrote:
"Because GW once said:"

"All your cash are belongs to us!"
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

The only real advantage is if you want to give them a blessing or buff. I used to run 7 or 13 in 7th, but I've stopped using them since.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

I've you've only got 10 in the list, then run 2 units of 5.

However, I have said many a time before, and will continue to say, that units of 10 shades with extra hand weapons are simply the best thing in the Dark Elf book (after the Cauldron of Blood).

2x10 is standard in every list I write, and in fact the list that got top DE at Throne of Skulls, played by the infamous Ben Curry, (all I needed was to not roll a double 6 on 5 dice and then forget a crucial spell and it would've been me... grrr...) had 3x10 and in fact skipped the hydra altogether.
"he's got quite an arrogant british air about him that i used to think was really annoying but now it cracks me up.

"Tut, tut old lad! that's not how you play 'the Queen's' Warhammer!"
*takes sip of tea*"

Check out my Youtube bettle reports http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=68253
Kula
Warrior

Post by Kula »

I would run them in 2 units of 5, but I guess it depends if you have anything else to hunt down war machines and stuff. As to the overall usefulness of Shades: I love them. With the combination of some harpies, they wreck havoc in the rear ranks of the enemy. They aren't as useful against high T armies, but they still shine bright, especially with AHW.