Help Filling in my Armies holes

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Help Filling in my Armies holes

Post by xFallenx »

Hey all, I’m currently looking to put a Druchii army on the table top, even with the fact that Thorpe is still writing the book, I’ve read through all of the D.R.A.I.C.H articles I could set my eyes on. My list of available models is pretty broad, but I feel as though I could use a few more pieces to round out some holes I may have in the 8th Ed(have only played 1 O&G game so far). My play style tends to lean towards very strong magic with solid melee when the time is right.

This is a list of what I currently have:

Core
30 Spears
18 Corsairs
16 RXB
10Dark Riders

Special
22 Witch Elves
18 Black Guard
8 Shades
6 Cold One Knights

Rare
2 Bolt throwers

Characters
1 Assassin
1 Female Foot Sorceress
2 Male Foot Warlock
1Battle Standard Bearer
1 Morathi
1 Lord

At this point I’m think I may run the large unit of spears with the BG. I want to break my witches in two in order to watch the exposed flanks of spears and BG. The corsairs will also be cut down to 2 in order to run as LOS blockers for the witches.

The RXB’s can watch my rear with a COB (I think this may be the best addition to my army) while the unit of DR clean up broken units for VP’s. The Cold one Knights would be used along side the BG/spears for flank charges, while shades can harass war machines.
The Bolt throwers may not be worth the price tag, so they may not see the field.

My main question is; What units should I add in order to give the army as a whole more value.
COB to buff the whole army and potentially act as the BSB for the Army.
2 Chariots to assist the COK in breaking large R&F units.
2 Hydra’s in order to tar pit and break R&F units.
6 More COK to break R&F units.

I’m currently leaning towards the COB as it’ll buff the whole army and save me points by taking on the role of BSB as well. The 6 additional COK would be a great help and with 6 COK already I shouldn’t really need to pick up any hydra’s or Chariots.
I could really use some perspective and thank you all ahead of time.
Fallen
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

I'm thinking that this post is pretty convoluted and covered up my question.
I actually went ahead and bought the COB as it has the ability to buff every unit, whereas the other options I was looking at would only buff a single unit.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

My main question is; What units should I add in order to give the army as a whole more value.
COB to buff the whole army and potentially act as the BSB for the Army.
2 Chariots to assist the COK in breaking large R&F units.
2 Hydra’s in order to tar pit and break R&F units.
6 More COK to break R&F units.

COB is definatly the first choice here. You got alot of infantry and they collaborate well with the cauldron.
Chariots are very nice in this edition, but CoKs are usually slightly better in a cauldron army.
Hydras are rock-solid choices, and I am suprised not to see one amongst your troops. However, I have seen infantry lists without hydras work very well before. The enemy may have anti-monster gear in his army, and completely avoiding monsters type may render some of the opponents potent weapons "useless".
6 more CoKs is a REALLY good choice when including a cauldron. I usually run 2x6 CoKs (musician only) in my lists. They hit like a ton of bricks with a blessing and dont cost much...
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

I guess this leads me to another question, that if I re-read the entry in my army book after work will clarify, but, how many blessings per turn can the cauldron give out? One per turn? Or one per unit per turn?

P.S. Thanks for the info; I really like the idea of two units of 6 C.O.K.
Being an alternate O&G player I've always been partial to foot troops, after playing swarms of gobbo's I wanted something with a little more hitting power hence the R&F heavy Elves..... may need to challenge that paradigm a little I suppose ;)
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

One blessing to one unit at the start of your turn - use it well! The advantage of a cauldron is that you can bless your troops in that _one_ combat you REALLY need to win. It is no small thing! Additionally Cauldrons can serve as BSBs, a job which they do well in infantry armies, also because they are so DAMN hard to kill...

PS. CoKs are really great. The look great, they fluff great - and with a cauldron, they will win you alot of games!