Hardest hitter

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Wolfrahm
Slave (off the Altar)

Hardest hitter

Post by Wolfrahm »

My question to all is, what is the best unit or hero/unit combo for dealing with hoardes of WoC? So far my best has been Crone Hellebron/death hag BSB and a hoard of wyches but I know there has to be another. What suggestions do you have for this scenerio?
" Mutilation, dismemberment, pain, torture and misery are a way of life and fun for that matter. Its a way we show affection. Would you like me to show you?" Rhanda Moonchaser, Death Hag
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

i have no real experience against WoC, but i do against heavy blocks of dwarfs...heavy armoured and high toughness.

combined charges is IMO always the way to go with Druchii.
So a big block of knights(with hero /dreadlord, extra attack from CoB) backed up by a hydra.

A horde of executioners should do well, but to be honest if you use a cauldron (you should!!) even a horde of (frenzied)corsairs boosted with killing blow could do pretty good, just try to throw in an extra unit/monster in the fight prefferable in the flank. We are not in to fair fights!
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

If you think your opponent is NOT bringing Tzeentch Chaos Warriors, six Cold One Knights with a Battle Standard Bearer bearing the Hydra Banner will wreck a unit of Chaos Knights on the charge. Give them an extra attack from the Cauldron of Bloodas well if they're Tzeentchy.

As mentioned, a horde of Witch Elves with the Razor Standard is usually effective as is a horde of Executioners.

I'm a magic guy so I prefer a debuff of Miasma followed by Black Horror or just a simple block of Corsairs enchanted with Okkam's Mindrazor.

You have lots of options!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Darn double posts...
Last edited by Phierlihy on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

In the last tourney I entered my block of 40 spearmen minced 15 chosen when buffed with Okkams. If you can get off the magic then I'd say buffed Core units are some of the best units to field as the other player will simply expect his powerful infantry to walk all over them. Oh and it's tremendous fun to watch 6 point spearmen trash a nasty unit of chosen. All the WoC players I've seen (which admittedly are not alot) have fielded lots of big units of marauders and then only one or two small units of chosen or chaos warriors, T3 marauders do not last long against RXBs, and for high AS troops there's always the lore of metal on a low-level caster, that way the enemy can be forced to choose between dispelling Okkams and other powerful shadow spells or dealing with the lore of metal signature spell
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Avaer
Warrior

Post by Avaer »

I have found crossbows quite effective against my friends warriors simply because of the sheer amount of shots combined with the armour piercing can hurt most units but if you want them to be truly effective make sure you can debuff the unit you intend to pepper to death.

Other nastiness ive found are blocks of CoK on the charge because of the high strength but if they dont break them on the charge they may struggle in subsequent rounds and so require something else to lend a hand (<=== insert hydra :D ) but most dark elf units like corsairs, witch elves, execs and even spearmen with the correct buffs on them or debuffs on the opponent shouldnt struggle too badly.

The trick is to make it seem as though you dont need the spell in order to win the combat e.g. be tarpitting the unit for a turn while something heavy can target the flanks but in actual fact you okkams your spearmen and go for the throat :)
An exchange between Arleth Vann and Malus Darkblade in Warpsword:

"'My lord!' the assassin cried from above. 'Are you all right?'

'Just fine,' Malus snarled. 'These jagged rocks managed to break my fall.'"
Wolfrahm
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Wolfrahm »

Thanks for all the replies. I see a few that I will try out. I took 1st place at our local 'Ard Boyz this year but don't really like using, what I thought waws a power cheese list< only to find out I didn't but fielded a very balanced list. It consisted of big hoardes of wyches and corsairs. Thanks again and happy gaming
" Mutilation, dismemberment, pain, torture and misery are a way of life and fun for that matter. Its a way we show affection. Would you like me to show you?" Rhanda Moonchaser, Death Hag
Handsome jack
Executioner

Post by Handsome jack »

ard boyz is all about using your hardest lists.
handsome jack
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Shadow magic, cauldrons and big blocks.

You need big blocks because the hellcannons will rip the heart out of your lines if they roll lucky, the cauldrons for ward saves vs hellcannons and magic, and the shadow magic for hexing them and mindrazoring your multiattack units.

Fighter characters are a waste of points vs WoC; they can have multiple characters immune to killing blow and poison, multiple characters with 3+ ward saves and their basic warriors will generally have s5. AA character with the pendant would be about all you need if you want to have a combat character.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

horde of executioners is our hardes hitting unit if you do not count magic buffs (though cauldron buffs are included). I guess WE become best if you can buff them with mindrazor and KB.
Jbtheslipperking
Executioner

Post by Jbtheslipperking »

The weakness of WOC is they are relatively slow. If he gets a huge chosen unit to 4+ ward save or even better( with 2 warchrines ) you might aswell just avoid it and throw cheap units at it. But othewise the combined charge of 40 warroirs and a DL on dragon with Black Dragon egg will most likely brake him. Or if you run Lv4 so no dragon you can use Hydra + a charriot in combo with the warriors. The warriors ofc beeing there to deny him steadfast.
Wtf, dragon`s breath is not flamable ?
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Lord Tsunami wrote:I guess WE become best if you can buff them with mindrazor and KB.

That's a big if... most will do whatever they can to dispel the mindrazor the moment the Witches get into close combat.

Blocks of Corsairs and Witches are still the best choices for lashing out damage to other troops though. And of course, Hydra and Black Dragon are nice for their breathing as well as being strong and tough in close combat. Finally, we have the sorcs who lash out tons of damage... Really, we have lots of things to hit hard but less things with survivability.

2 units of CoK's with a hard hitting noble in each would survive and do lots of damage. I tend to field at least one unit like that each battle, and I've yet to see them being a waste of points on the field.