1k force vs tomb kings

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Tich
Highborn

1k force vs tomb kings

Post by Tich »

Hey all, I'm recently returned to the game after a break of a couple years and have decided to dust off my druichii force in the wardrobe. To start with my friends and I intend to play a series of 1k matches.

My first match is going to be up against Tomb kings, he will be fielding a tomb king led tomb guard unit, with skeli spearmen, chariots, archers and a unit of ushtabi with great weapons or bows. I think he is only taking a single liche priest so his magic will be fairly light. I would rather my first match in 8th ed not be a major defeat so I would aprreciate any advice anyone can give me to dealing with them or at least let me hold my own.

Model wise I have plenty of characters on cold ones and foot, spearmen, crossbows, some executions, cold one knights and reapers and I dont mind going out and buying more if neccesary.
"I have this magic sword, it kills people when you stick it in them"
Dante valentine
Cold One Knight

Post by Dante valentine »

There is a great tactics post in the DRAICH forum bit, but i'll add my two-cents!

Firstly, with one wizard the Tomb King's are going to be SLOW! no marching will give you a massive advantage in the movement phase allowing you to fight where you want and avoid what you don;t.

As most veterans will tell you, Movement wins battles!

Do be wary of there shooting: although they don't have a great BS, never suffering to hit modifiers can be a nightmare when they are shooting at your skirmishers, hidden behind a wall, that's built in front of a forest and a dozen other modifiers!

The Tomb Guard are a nasty unit! Pretty tough, very choppy (chop! chop! chop!) and of course, unbreakable. Not knowing how big the unit is will determine how you deal with them. Big units should be whittled down, small units should be routed (well, crumbled) in one turn. Hit them hard, or don't hit them at all. in my opinion.

Things to really be wary of: Scorpion's! Appearing from the sands, these are tough and dangerous and can make short work of war machines and archer units!

Monsters: tough and very nasty as well as cheap. As you're only playing 1k points you shouldn't find yourself swamped by them.

Magic: It's not going to wreck your battle lines but his units are going to become much, much nastier and keep getting resurrected. Try to shut him down as much as you can in the magic phase or alternatively, bring a mage with death magic and polish off his Hierophant: sit back and watch his army crumble.

Anyway, i don't really want to regurgitate what has already been said (in a much better way!) other than the say good luck, have fun and do your Druchii proud!

Regards

D
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

Thanks for the tips Dante, as for his tomb guard, becuase he wants to take a massive general I believe he will only be using a unit of 10-14 and putting his king in with them so he can pass his ws on. I think I'll try and hit it with a duel charge between some CoK and a hydra and hope thats wipes it in a turn.
Dante valentine
Cold One Knight

Post by Dante valentine »

Such a small unit should be seen off pretty quickly - be careful of what his TK is going to hit you with though, it could really ruin your days.

A unit of 5-7 knights and a hydra *should* cause enough casualties to destroy the unit through crumbling!

D
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with GW ushtabi, other than a hyrda I'm not sure what I can fit in a 1k force to take them out. Does mass shooting work on them or am i going to need a charge of CoK lances to have any hope of killing them.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Miasma their shooting units for the -1 BS. Take their 'always hit on 5-6' to 'always hits on 6'. Takes a fair amount of the pain out of their shooting. 8)

I'd consider 2 level 2s rather than a single level 4. That way you can miasma 2 units of his shooty units.