A fun unit I plan on taking to the 'ard boys tournament.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Drg
Slave on the Altar

A fun unit I plan on taking to the 'ard boys tournament.

Post by Drg »

Here's the basic unit:

20 Warriors FC with banner of eternal flame

BSB Armor of darkness, Pearl of infinite bleakness (bearer and unit ITP)

LVL 4 (shadow) Talisman of preservation, Sacrificial Dagger, Lifetaker

Assassin Manbane, Rune of Khaine

The tactic:

Warrior block set up in 5x4 formation.

1. With banner of eternal flame, the LVL 4 can shoot at regenerating units, and then I can focus fire with the rest of the shooting in my army, ignoring regen for the whole phase. If necessary, I can cast the -toughness spell to ensure the str4 shots will be wounding.

2. If the unit gets charged by something nasty, I can pop out the assassin, and displace my caster/BSB to the second rank depending on the scenario. I have 3 command models and 2 characters in the first rank. I was thinking this tactic would be pretty handy if a couple skaven assassins popped out of a unit at some point.

Nothing fancy, but I thought it would be interesting. Obviously, I'd try to avoid combat as much as possible, but if I were caught in a corner, it might be a viable way of escape.

Yeah, it's a lot of points bound up in one unit, but it looks deceptively weak.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

That unit has a lot of points invested in combat for a unit that you are hoping will avoid combat. One way or another you'll end up reasonably close to combat so you can make use of the BSB's ability, and then you'll be running the risk of being charged anyway. Secondly - why warriors? why not crossbowmen? If you hope to avoid combat, why spend some 180 points on a unit equipped for combat? Crossbowmen will also last longer in combat should you end up there, and while they're not in combat they can shoot.

The displacement trick is going to work for one combat phase, at best because that assassin is giong to die so quickly you'll barely see it happening. After that, the displaced character is going back to the front rank, and then die as well. Also, I don't really understand why you would buy something for another 160 odd points just in case something happens that you want to avoid.

The reason why that unit looks weak is because it is. One spell, charge or template is going to wreak havoc with your plans, and you have that many points tied up in a unit that isn't going to use its full potential, ever, and if it uses the other half (i.e. the bit that comes into play when combat comes around) you are in a situation you were hoping to avoid.

Bottom line - too many points in someting that is contradicting itself, and with such a huge investment, there won't be a lot of other heavy hitters around if you plan on having any sort of numbers in your list, even in 3k (which I think 'ard boyz is).
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Drg
Slave on the Altar

Post by Drg »

Alright, I'll attempt to explain my reasoning.

I have also included a unit of 41 spearmen in my list, so if I get bombarded too much, my bsb, and sorceress can bail, leaving a hobbled unit of spearmen with a suprise assasin for those weak cleanup units to deal with.

I was originally thinking that it would be a good idea for a surprise in the unit in case a tunneler popped up behind my unit. With the assassin in there, he should make short work of gutter runners and the like, so that rear charge won't hurt so much.

I'm pretty much relying on magic anyway, the turn I get charged, I won't be getting my mindrazor, or the -str/toughness. This will give me an opportunity to cast the spell in my phase, and teleport out of the unit leaving my general with the crown of command to cleanup.

There are plenty of units out there made to assassinate characters. We have several. Witch elves, shades, anything with high init, and kb can be devestating, but usually they are small units. I was thinking the assassin would be handy in that sort of situation as well.

Seriously though, you make a valid point, and as I said, it's quite a few points for the unit. I may just be struggling to find a decent use for an assassin in this edtion.

Thanks for the response.

EDIT: Oh, the reason for spearmen, is cheap guys to kill with the sac dag.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

It sure is a deceptively weak unit, I like how Anderson pointed out that it's not really DECEPTIVELY weak, and more because it IS a weak unit haha. It's a nifty trick, but the outcome will still be the same, the unit will get trampled and broken on the turn it gets charged, displacing won't save you if that happens. And well...YOUR magic phase doesn't occur after your opponent charges you haha. But fair enough, it is a nice way to repel a small assassinating units by the enemy. But any substantial unit charging you, you're screwed. Unless Crown of Command comes in. I actually am thinking of throwing that on my S S too now...with PoK. I won't need forty spearmen to maintain steadfast when twenty with CC can do it for cheaper... :O Cheers!
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Drg
Slave on the Altar

Post by Drg »

Yeah, I couldn't find the points to field that unit (but I'm going to try to work the kinks out, and field a similar unit eventually...).

I ended up with 3 massacres, and a 2nd place 1st round finish 68 battle points, the winner had 69.

The SS with lifetaker in the unit of warriors with the flaming banner helped me take a unit of trolls down pretty quickly. Wasn't able to get a wound on the dual Hellpit Abominations before getting into combat though.