Template spells

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Auere
Noble

Template spells

Post by Auere »

Have anyone had success with template spells such as Flamestorm and Pit of Shades? Now that the templates scatter, I really never hit the intended target hard or precise enough to justify the spells high casting values. Is it just me or is Black Horror not vastly superior to most other template spells - simply because it is more reliable and cheaper?

I thought of another use for Black Horror: Now that the "warmachine-heavy" factions are beginning to cluster their warmashines behind large units of infantry in the center, a well placed black horror can easily clip 2-3 warmashines and two large units. The warmachines will fail their S test automatically and take a wound, while the big units will usually fail at least a few tests and take wounds aswell. All in all you could easily cause 3-5 panic tests with a single spell. Could be worth it...
Kensou
Black Guard

Post by Kensou »

From the new spells I've had the extreme satisfaction of unleashing a purple sun on dwarfs. He had no army left.

The others I haven't gotten of yet.
Name: Ignat (Group 39)
Class: Mage
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Staff, Short Sword, Robe.
Skills: Power of Aqshy(1), Defensive Fighting.
Inventory: Pendant
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I am not a big fan of the template-based uber spells. I don't necessarily think the casting value justified the random chance of success. I much prefer Dwellers Below (for my armies that can take it,) Black Horror or Final Transmutation, since they don't scatter but instead rely on fixed values and rolls to inflict their damage.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Toddums
Warrior

Post by Toddums »

I recently hit some wood elves with the pit of shades

they all passed their initiative test :evil:
Brennan
Trainee Warrior

Post by Brennan »

Hi guys, am new to the site and new to warhammer!!
Am hoping someone can help me out - With template spells do any units in the path of the scatter get hit or only units under the template when it stops at the scattered distance?
If that makes sense...

Sorry if this is a silly question but this is all new to me.

Straight into darkelves and loving it!

Cheers

Brennan
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Direct Damage spells - Only the models under the final place of the template get hit.

Vortex Spells (or a spell since only the purple sun is a vortex) - all models that are under the template as it moves get hit.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Brennan
Trainee Warrior

Post by Brennan »

Thanks for clearing that up for me mate!

Cheers