Do Cold one Knights also win you nearly all your games?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Fingol23
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Fingol23 »

If your failing stupidity checks try Malus.
WIP First War Against Chaos Expansion
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... e7da5c4719

WS3 / S3 / T3 / D4 / I5
Skills: Basic Stealth
Items: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

BSB in a CoB is probably the safest spot for it actually. Being a CoK thread I won't put too much in to change the topic. The best thing with CoB BSB is it's probably the safest place because it's T10 against ranged with 4+ ward, magic res1 and stubborn. Its damage output in CC is deadly too, far better protection and killing power than what you could give your master. If you're taking a CoB in your army, then it's convenient to make it the BSB wielder, if CoB isn't vital to your plans then it's not worth spending 200pts just to have one for BSB.

Back on topic, indeed Malus will solve stupidity issues. I don't have my army book on me atm, but does he actually remove the stupidity special rule altogether? Or does he just make you pass stupidity checks automatically? Because otherwise our CoKs are no longer immune to psychology if they're no longer stupid with Malus in the unit.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

If people are so pissed off at randomness of stupidity them take Gleaming Pennat Banner at 5 points, problem solved. As for Malus, I think we just auto pass stupidity checks last I read it, I love the character to bits specially in the novels but never fielded the guy, still too expensive for my taste.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Caemdare
Trainee Warrior

Post by Caemdare »

Never, ever forget how nastilly 10 CoK hitting the flank of any infantry block can be, and how detrimental to the survival of said infantry the situation is. Disruption removes supporting attacks, and steadfast, and especially if you contact a horde with it, you get to make a very, very real chance of breaking them on the charge.

For this reason, not just CoK, but all other heavy cav I field, tend to be put more in a flank-wards direction... setting up the nasty flank charges, or getting round behind the enemy.

Sadly they are expensive, but it's worth it to see the look on their faces when their horde of Lothern Sea Guard vanish in a single turn...
Sloeberjong
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sloeberjong »

Caemdare wrote:Never, ever forget how nastilly 10 CoK hitting the flank of any infantry block can be, and how detrimental to the survival of said infantry the situation is. Disruption removes supporting attacks, and steadfast, and especially if you contact a horde with it, you get to make a very, very real chance of breaking them on the charge.

It doesn't remove steadfast. Steadfast remains as long as you have more ranks then the enemy, doesn't matter if you're flanked or not.

It would still hurt though. I don't think steadfast would hold for long in this situation.
Caemdare
Trainee Warrior

Post by Caemdare »

Sloeberjong wrote:
It doesn't remove steadfast. Steadfast remains as long as you have more ranks then the enemy, doesn't matter if you're flanked or not.

It would still hurt though. I don't think steadfast would hold for long in this situation.

Ah, my bad. I blame myself writing this whilst under-caffinated at work. Not sure why I lumped steadfast in there....

In anycase, yes, it hurts. A Lot.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

[quote=] They are said to be good against monsters since not taking dammage from stomp [/quote]

They take damage from stomp, stomp hits infantry and cavalry.
Blackbone
Trainee Warrior

Post by Blackbone »

I use 5 with full command and have not been wowed by them at all. Mostly just use them because I really like the models. In 8th now, I am going to add 5 and a fighty character to see if I like it.

There's just so much magic that can off them instantly that my normal infantry can absorb better!

- Blackbone
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

thenick18 wrote:They take damage from stomp, stomp hits infantry and cavalry.

Unfortunately not against cavalry. Page 76 under stomp, it specifically lists it'll only work against infantry, war beasts and swarms.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

yeah, i re-read it, I knew it was 3 things, I couldn't remember past infantry I guess. And that's not unfortunate. ;)
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

haha yea, i basically remembered as "if you can stomp, you can't get stomped" which was almost correct, so i had been stomping cavalry too for a time :P

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Minos
Slave on the Altar

Post by Minos »

Since 8th ed, I use to fill 11 Cold One Knights FC with my Lord and I do agree : they 'do the job'.
With the blessings of the CoB BSB (5+ ward save, or +1A when it's time to kill), they're very effective.

In my last game, they have been charged by Black Orcs under the Waaagh spell : no loss on my side, and my CoK managed to destroy three units (one per turn)...

My question is about the Dread Knight : I'm trying to use the 'new' RoH on him, but I'm not sure it's a good choice, since my CoK often fight their way on the flanks.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

nah it's not great giving RoH to them. you're better off with a dedicated bearer on wings or DS.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Persuader
Executioner

Post by Persuader »

I fielded 10 CoK's + Master in my last battle against Beastmen and they raped a chariot, 6 Mino's and a Flying doombull (well the master did the last one in a challenge anyway)

I gave my Champion:
- Potion of Foolhardness, +1A on the charge
- Charming Shield (ignores the first hit I think)

Didn't even have to use the Shield.
The extra S6 attack is just awesome.

CoK, BG and Shades. (That are my fav. units They never let me down)
Coryl99
Warrior

Post by Coryl99 »

I have yet to use them yet but on my list and plan to use is 10 CoK with master BSB with the hydra banner and a musician. What do you guys think about that? I think they will be very strong i am worried about my BSB getting challenged though.. But i lvoe the models and i love knights i think they will be great!
8th ed. Record win-tie-loss
Dark Elves: 2-0-0
Bretonnians: 0-0-0
Painted:
Dark Elves 1000pts.: 80%
Bretonnians 1000pts: 50%
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

yea that'll kill basically anything that's bold enough to stand in their path. Give them +1 A blessing to go way overboard ;)

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Also add in a potion of Foolhardyness +1ATK and ITP on the charge for a turn. That will really tips the scales. With a BSB I would leave him in the 2nd rank, and not move him up to the fighting rank, then he can't be challenged.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

unless you're going three wide, there won't be enough models to force your BSB to the second rank.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Darktan
Cold One Knight

Post by Darktan »

Meteor wrote:unless you're going three wide, there won't be enough models to force your BSB to the second rank.

offtopic, but i've heard of ogres doing this, two ironguts (command models) in first rank and a tyrant, the second rank with a BSB + caster + third irongut in, quite clever.

on topic, to the OP, yes, my CoK do more than any other part of my army (bar magic) to help me win. (6 CoK Full command BoHG +whip of agony). with the cauldron giving them a leg up, not much slows them down too much.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Ogres are able to do 3 wide to complete a rank.
Jbtheslipperking
Executioner

Post by Jbtheslipperking »

The 2 ranks of COK unit is and old discusion I guess. Against some opponents very nice unit, but against others its almost worthless. It can be held up with 30 ghouls/50 skaven slaves or wraiths for several turns. It can be wiped out by magic ( lore of metal ), T tests from Skaven is not so good, cannons hurts bad, gunlines can be nasty, bolt in the flank etc. When you get to hit soft targets the wreak havoc, but skilled players wil not let you do that. This 500+ point sink will be handled like every other point sink out there in a competitive invironment. You get 2 blocks of 40 spears for the same price. Just think about it.
Wtf, dragon`s breath is not flamable ?
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Re: Do Cold one Knights also win you nearly all your games?

Post by Danceman »

Calisson wrote:For you, the way to go could be to write a D.R.A.I.C.H. article about COK, to change your signature... and to wait for your 1000th post? :roll: [/i]

Jeeez, try and mix in some humility in the future because right now you're tooting your own horn so loud it is deafening. Aside from that all he's gotta do is ask for whatever title he wants at his 1k post. I believe we've got a witch elf here and pretty sure there is an excutioner here somewhere.

On topic;
I can't believe we're complaining about LD10 re-rolls. Remember back in the days when we'd have to do with Ld8, or 9 with a noble(or master as they're now called). Then there are the Banner of Discipline if you want them zooming around on their own. Hatred + CoB = Pain.

Cheers, D.
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

With some carefull positioning you are nearly never going to fail stupidity with your knights. It is usually pretty easy to keep them within range of the BSB until they reach combat.

If you dont want to be dependant on the BSB range, try the gleaming pennant. On average CoKs fail stupidity every 6th turn (once per game), so a single reroll is often what you need.