Cob and characteristic tests

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ashy7
Slave (off the Altar)

Cob and characteristic tests

Post by Ashy7 »

I have a problem with a few opponents picking out my CoB with spells such as The dwellers below, pit of shades and Purple sun. These spells require Characteristic tests which WM automatically fail. Is there any protection whatsoever?
Seriously annoying to lose a 225point important piece

thanks in advance.
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

Dispel scrolls work, or just improved magic defense. Unfortunately CoB is worth 325 VPs with BSB upgrade.

I suppose if it really bothers you a RoH on a DP could at least cause some damage if your opponent tries to cast these spells.
Ashy7
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ashy7 »

What do you mean by Magic defense?. All the spells mentioned specifically say no saves of any kind =[
C_freman
Dark Rider

Post by C_freman »

Not letting your opponents cast the spells, for instance :P
Jbtheslipperking
Executioner

Post by Jbtheslipperking »

They need los and range for the spell, need to beat the casting value, you fail to dispe/out of scrolls and last but not least, then spell need to scatter onto the COB. To take it out the COB with a spell you need to be either very lucky on your first attempt or you need several atempts. And the forementioned spells can also do some serous dammage to other parts of you army, such as the hydra. So just stay cool man.
Wtf, dragon`s breath is not flamable ?
C_freman
Dark Rider

Post by C_freman »

The hydra uses the handler's Initiative, so not that harmful to it :P
Ungorlucky
Warrior

Post by Ungorlucky »

Another tip I can offer ,though I havn't played a game of 8th yet.

If you feel your cauldron model is too large because of the LOS rules , then use a dolls house cauldron mounted on a 20mm base . This with the crew will be much easier to hide .

This is one rule I hate about the 8th is the true line of site rules which IMO penalises the converter.
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

Ashy7 wrote:What do you mean by Magic defense?. All the spells mentioned specifically say no saves of any kind =[

Magic defense can be MR, yes, and in this case its useless, but it also means dispel scrolls, seal of ghrond, or even a high level mage of your own for a higher +roll for dispelling.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

ungorlucky wrote:Another tip I can offer ,though I havn't played a game of 8th yet.

If you feel your cauldron model is too large because of the LOS rules , then use a dolls house cauldron mounted on a 20mm base . This with the crew will be much easier to hide .

This is one rule I hate about the 8th is the true line of site rules which IMO penalises the converter.

Or it helps the converter, think about TK with scorpions popping out of the ground, just make a single claw look likes its rising up. Yes the True LOS though, I will agree, can be a bit ridiculous at times. I understand it for seeing ogres behind gnoblars etc. but for other units its kind of silly.
Ashy7
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ashy7 »

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I was planning to replace GW stock model with a conversion because its hideous. About LOS is there a specific limit to height/width of the model?. Aslong as its wysiwyg?
Ungorlucky
Warrior

Post by Ungorlucky »

As far as I am aware there are no fixed criteria for measurements.

True LOS is basically what you can see and therefore if you use the standard model with the statue it would be the statue your opponent would claim against you.

I think if you used the standard model without the statue it would improve things. The only reason I chose the doll's house cauldron is because
1) My Mrs has a spare one ( she collects doll's houses) and was therefore a freeby
2) I want to use the standard model for a conversion and mount it on the back of a Steggadon as a centre piece display model
3) As I wanted to do the above conversion I didn't want to have to pay for another. :roll:
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

It helps me loads: many of my models are 5th ed or before. My manticore rider (who is riding a manticore that's about the same height as a cold one) is very happy :) My supreme sorceress (who is just tiny, truly) even more so.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Jbtheslipperking
Executioner

Post by Jbtheslipperking »

The old COB model with the hag riding on a small charriot is alot cooler and also lower. The current model seems to be made for 6 ed. with no movement and is also imo hideous looking. So gogo ebay. Hopefully GW wil make a new one.
Wtf, dragon`s breath is not flamable ?