How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Chain
Executioner

Characters in a 3000 point battle

Post by Chain »

Gonna have one against HE

But i'm wondering which characters are worth taking

I wanted to try Malekith but I'm afraid the danger of miscast and the prize of it is to big

How does Deathstars work in 8'th ed?

Just considering how it could be with a 20-30 model big COK regiment with Malus and Malekith (but again the misscast option is EW)

Does his Magic resistance help him with a ward save against miscast hits?

Would Malus in a Horde of COK and a Battlestandbearer be a better option or also unuseable?

I hear less Characters is good, but at 3000 points...
Valkyre
Dark Rider

Post by Valkyre »

well, If you will know you go against HE, dont do deathstars, the hoethed life archmage is quite a popular choice, and will make mincemeat out of a deathstar.

but then, i am no deathstar fan vs anything.

If you want to include SC's, consider morathi thou, at +5 to cast, loremaster dark and the option to be placed in a big warr unit with a sac dagger, that one will be able to cast 7 spells a turn and probably save up PD for a support or 2, not to mention the dark sword will take out enemy archmages np :)
Chain
Executioner

Post by Chain »

Valkyre wrote:well, If you will know you go against HE, dont do deathstars, the hoethed life archmage is quite a popular choice, and will make mincemeat out of a deathstar.

but then, i am no deathstar fan vs anything.

If you want to include SC's, consider morathi thou, at +5 to cast, loremaster dark and the option to be placed in a big warr unit with a sac dagger, that one will be able to cast 7 spells a turn and probably save up PD for a support or 2, not to mention the dark sword will take out enemy archmages np :)

I don't know how but my memory seem to tell me that I only could use Morathi on her Pegasus and with the amount of longbows on the other side I don't like that option however if she truely can be fielded on foot then yes this is a an option

Also wouldn't the Hoeth mage be a bit nervous about Spellshield?

At least I remember when against the same opponent in 7'th ed he had a Slan he didn't target Malekith with magic again after his first try(resulting in him losing 2 wounds)

does the PD from sacrifical dagger count toward the 12 max? amnother reasonb i considered Malekith was Iron halo(the 1 extra PD and DD) though the PD could be covered by POD and the DD by Seal of ghrond
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Post by Guinea pig hydra »

I wouldn't consider Malekith. even in a 3000 battle the points cost is just a too high, particularly when you've put him on a suitable mount both gaming and fluff wise (that would be either the Black Chariot or his Dragon). Shadowblade is overpriced for what he does, as is Hellebron. Malus (while imo being the best written character) isn't great in the game. So I'd go for Morathi and/or Lokhir.

Read the recent battle report in WD between DE and DoC to check out what Morathi can do in a 3000 battle.
Druchii - For the joy of stabbing a High Elf in the face.
Chain
Executioner

Post by Chain »

Guinea Pig Hydra wrote:I wouldn't consider Malekith. even in a 3000 battle the points cost is just a too high, particularly when you've put him on a suitable mount both gaming and fluff wise (that would be either the Black Chariot or his Dragon). Shadowblade is overpriced for what he does, as is Hellebron. Malus (while imo being the best written character) isn't great in the game. So I'd go for Morathi and/or Lokhir.

Read the recent battle report in WD between DE and DoC to check out what Morathi can do in a 3000 battle.

But can Morathi fight on foot or join a unit in any way?

Without that option she'll just be shot to a porcupine... :(
DoC got magic she got magic resistance, but what shooty does DoC have?

My personal biggest concern about fielding Malekith is really the danger of a miscast

I don't expect his armor to save him from a removed from the game...even if it make each hit onlyever ableeo do 1 wound
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Put her in a nice big unit of spears :) Sulephet gives her an AS and she already has a 4+ WS. True you won't be able to fly her around at will but she can join a unit and remove other models from shooting causualties. Only thing is you won't get a Look Out Sir! roll but HE aren't particularly renowned for template weapons.
Chain
Executioner

Post by Chain »

Guinea Pig Hydra wrote:Put her in a nice big unit of spears :) Sulephet gives her an AS and she already has a 4+ WS. True you won't be able to fly her around at will but she can join a unit and remove other models from shooting causualties. Only thing is you won't get a Look Out Sir! roll but HE aren't particularly renowned for template weapons.

Ah that does sound useable and less risky than the other list i was considering

Malekith
Cold one

Malus

28 COK

----------------

COB(BSB)

------------

Sorceress lvl 2

Seal of Ghrond, Tome of Furion

20 Rxb men, shield

20 Rxb, shield

Lots of Shade screeners

though i know shades as screeners is expensive they can fire back on the countary to harpies
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Yeah I think you're relying too much on the COK Deathstar. Try Morathi in a more balanced list :)
Chain
Executioner

Post by Chain »

Do you know if Morathis Magic resistance grant her a save against damage done by a miscast?

Also does her magic resistance + ward save grant her a 2+ ward save against magic?
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

I'm pretty sure it's a yes to both. But I might be corrected on it.
Chain
Executioner

Post by Chain »

k i'll go by that unless corrected

Finally about PD

Lets say I got morathi and a lvl 2

and roll a 4 and a 6 for winds of magic

Would I then find POD futile for one of the 2? assuming one of em generate 2 PD

and in this case Sacrifical dagger would also be useless since it would again reach higher than 1 total?
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Yes if you use them all in one go. However, the tactic for this is to roll for your original PD, use some/most of them and then use PoD or the Dagger. You just can't have more than 12 PD at any one time.

Again this is my understanding unless I'm corrected.
Chain
Executioner

Post by Chain »

ah that is good i thought it was 12 pd as max a magic phase
Valkyre
Dark Rider

Post by Valkyre »

Guinea is right on the PD, not on the magic resistance thou

magic resitacne will add to her wardsave vs magic spells that allows for saves, and will even give the unit she is in that wardsave due to MR, but this is not applyable to miscast wounds.

pagasus mounted cahrs are allowed to join other units, monster mounted chars (manticore and dragon) are still not allowed to join those.

as to spellshield protecting your unit, i doubt it, since those HE rely on getting IF's, and then you dont get a dispell attempt and as such the spellshield does not kick off.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Don't overdo it on characters. Units are usually more effective.

Be prepared for Teclis and an uncounterable magic phase.

Bye
Thanee
Brokenstone
Cold One Knight

Post by Brokenstone »

I get the impression that you are going to need a lot more core units in that list, 40 warriors / xb warriors will not cater to the minimum requirements.