Shades and Okkam's Mindrazor

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Yeah, that spell is freakin' brutal. I hated losing the GW on the Shades, but if you can land this spell it makes all units (including Shades) just lethal.
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Okkhams is great on any unit with plenty of attacks. I used it on my 7 wide unit of corsairs with the SSS and +1 attack from the cauldron (were up against plague monks so I figured one more attack would be better than KB). Lets just say that it got messy :P.
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

I tryed okham yeasterday:

Second turn, gave it the a unit of 9 harpies, they charged a unit of 8 plagues censer, half of my harpies died to their special attacks, but they killed 7 with 10S6 attacks. Overun on the BSB unit and killed him right there on the next turn.

Third turn a horde of 40 warriors killed 1 unit of stormvermin AND a unit of 27 clanrats. At the same time.

Fourth turn, got only 4 dices and couldnt cast it

Fifth turn, gave +1 attack to an hydra with CoB and cast okham on him. Charged the general on bell, 8 Str8 attacks from the handlers on the grey seer.. dead general, don't even need the hydra!

That spells is too strong...
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

a18no wrote:That spells is too strong...

There are lots of spells that will produce similar results on a combat.

Give a unit +2T, -2T, ASF +1A or +1S +1T etc. all will sway the results in a combat. OM might be the best one of the bunch, but compare it to other lvl 6 spells, and its just one of many.
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

Actually, Okham is the best buff spell for combat purpose:

Giving better T is great, but it affect only one roll, the to-wound.
Removing T is the same case
ASF +1A is good, but not that much with S3, and since more attack only help the first rank, it's not that good.
+1 S is good, but not as much as okham

Okham affect 2 roll: to wound and armor. The parts we are having bigger problems with (with hatred, to-hit is not a problem). And it affect ALL the unit, every ranks. Combine really good with the +1ld banner at...10pts. And the spell become S*3.. ouch!

Yes, other lvl 6spells are good, but no other buff spells are as good as okham. With horde rule, it's even better!
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

You're comparing it to spells not available to DE based on the synergy with DE, which is barely relevant.

Second, there really is no need to argue that OM is the best buff for DE - I already said that ;) But its just a buff spell, and thus limited in use compared to Dwellers or Purple Sun

Third, OM might give the 'best' results by affecting two rolls, but the game effect always comes down to, whether you win or lose combat, and all the augment spells are powerful enough to shift combat in your favor.