How to rank BG?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Cr0ssfir3
Slave (off the Altar)

How to rank BG?

Post by Cr0ssfir3 »

I've been brain storming this for awhile and i thought it would be nice to get some outside competative opinion. How do you set a unit of 20 BG in rank and file? My thoughts were two options: 5 across with 4 ranks-gives most of its combat rez through ranks, or 7 across and 3 ranks deep (with character. also included in ealier example i.e 19 bg with chara)- this set up would get more attacks but less ranks. The question, what set up have you expierienced generating more combat rez. This is not to say that you can't give other set ups but please try to stay to 20strong and close to the topic of BG....TY :)
Gethsemane
Executioner

Post by Gethsemane »

7x3 all the way. Black Guard are stubborn and ItP, so they don't need ranks. Also, since the most you could possibly have is 4, which you lose with 1 death, most heavily ranked units will still have stubborn against you. Better to get more attacks for more killy death.
aka DarkTyrany22

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

With units such as Black-Guard, ranks don't matter. The enemy can't really beat you over the head with combat res due to your stubborn, and Black-Guard are high on the killy factor. Set them to whatever their targets width is +2, then munch your points back.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

I'd probably go 6x3+2 as an all-rounder formation. I mainly want them to maintain two ranks for as long as possible so that when they have an opportunity to flank someone, I can get the disruption effect off to help win combats easier.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Falconrider
Corsair

Post by Falconrider »

Masked Jackal wrote:With units such as Black-Guard, ranks don't matter. The enemy can't really beat you over the head with combat res due to your stubborn, and Black-Guard are high on the killy factor. Set them to whatever their targets width is +2, then munch your points back.

This advice all the way.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

When using BG as a fighting unit, I rank them so wide, that they are 2 models wider than the opponent's unit, they are opposing.

Bye
Thanee
Markusswe
Corsair

Post by Markusswe »

Gethsemane wrote:7x3 all the way. Black Guard are stubborn and ItP, so they don't need ranks. Also, since the most you could possibly have is 4, which you lose with 1 death, most heavily ranked units will still have stubborn against you. Better to get more attacks for more killy death.

Yes, agree 100%. Go for this.
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

Keep in mind, that with the cauldron blessing, you can chop through around 100 WS2 troops in horde formation so long as you are 12-wide. :)
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Agreed with the advice of running them +2 to the width of your opponent. They're meant to hit things, and they are quite good at it, so maximizing the number of attacks is virtually always the better solution.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.