My first game with DE...

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Warghost57
Slave (off the Altar)

My first game with DE...

Post by Warghost57 »

as the title says I just had my first game of warhammer of 1000 pts against HE. it went by great.although i do have to say when high elves use the lore of life and they keep using the regeneration spell on their units (in my game his sword masters and lothern sea guard)it got really annoying. i thought I killed his unit of sword masters thinking I got the VP only to find out he regenerates 7 and the unit is back, i lose my VP and i need to focus on the unit i thought i had already killed.speaking about magic my first 3 magic phases with the lore of fire went by sadly every time I had wasted so many power dice to cast a spell he always manages to get a super lucky role and dis spell it.it wasn't until my 4th phase when i actually managed to call in the fully upgraded version of fireball in his a=sword masters and destroyed them....momentarilly
shooting from my 12 RXB went amazing. I took out around 10 of his spearmen with them on my first turn and managed to make them flee off the board when they failed there LD test.later on in the game I also took out 7 elven reavers with them,which was a full unit of them. my shades... well lets just say they didnt last the first 2 turns of the game..sadly. I have to say though that his unit of lothern sea guard worked amazing for him.it took a while for a unit of 15 corsairs AND 5 cold one knights to...actualy after 3 units of combat his unit was still alive and I never destroyed it...dang regeneration spell from lore of life. well Im getting tired of typing so here was a brief overview of my first game. I realy enjoy using DE and I just love their play style.tell me what you think :D

warghost,
..yo phones ringin
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Double check the regen spell, once a unit is wiped out, its dead, you can't revive a unit that has been completely destroyed, at least this is my understanding
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

It depends - you can only regenerate wounds suffered in that phase, so if you indeed wipe out all his swordmasters in a single combat phase, they can still regenerate back. But you can't use regenerate like raise undead - dead is dead so if they died earlier in the game, regeneration doesn't help.
Also, if you cast fireball on a unit with regeneration, it loses regeneration for that phase (or turn, I'm not sure) so wounds caused by fire attacks can't be regenerated.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

If you mean the Regrowth spell, that revives dead models, that spell has to target a unit in play to replenish, which is not possible, anymore, once the unit has been wiped out completely.

So, once you get VP for a unit, you won't lose those again.

The actual Regeneration spell is different, it does not bring slain models back to life, but rather gives them a Regeneration (Ward) save, to prevent them from getting removed in the first place, but I think you are talking about the #5 spell from the Lore of Life. :)

Anyways, good to hear, that your first game went well. :D

Bye
Thanee
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

You cannot cast regrowth on a unit that is no longer there as any spell requires a target first before it can even be casted. If you had wiped that unit on your turn or even his turn for that matter in shooting or close combat, it means that his magic phase has passed and thus can no longer cast that spell on the subsequent turn. Only the Vampire Counts' spell can raise units out of thin air.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Indeed, it's important to differentiate between Regrowth (casualties from a unit back to life), Lifebloom (allows you to heal a wounded model after you cast a successful Life spell, but is NOT the same as Regrowth) and the defeault spell of the lore which gives a unit a 5+ Regeneration save.

So yes, lots of themes of growing/wound restoration, but these are all different spells with different effects.

Also, keep in mind that these two spells are only really powerful when Throne of Vines is active. Without Throne of Vines, regrowth brings back fewer models and is only a 5+ Regen save rather than a powerful 4+ Regen save.

Overall, keep in mind that the purpose of Warhammer is to maximize probability. All of the moving, maneuvering, strategy, list building, etc. is just a way to make sure that the dice rolls turn out okay for you, and help you win the game. Sometimes, no matter how hard you work, the dice will not favor you. Continue to play games, everything will balance out eventually ;).
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.