Best setup for corsairs?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Scotty80
Slave on the Altar

Best setup for corsairs?

Post by Scotty80 »

Hi all,
I've just recently started a dark elf army, buying two dark elf battlians and some other assorted models (sorceress etc).
However, I'm not currently sure on what is the best way to arm the 40 black ark corsairs. Looking at the threads, there seems to be quite a difference of opinion on what is best out of handbows and additional hand weapons.
Before putting the models together, I was interested what people found the best way to use them?
Currently I was thinking of running two sets of 20 (this could be expanded later), one with additional hand weapons and SSS, and one set with handbows, but wanted to ask people opinions before making a final decision.
Thanks for any advice.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

I've yet to see mine shine so I can't give too much of a valuable feedback or praise to them. I reckon you'll need sword of rhuine on them if you're taking RHB corsairs. Which is probably the source of the down performance for mine. So I've switched to a more direct approach, in taking ten AHW SSS Corsairs. All they managed to do was scare off five chaos knights with a lord in it from charging through my flanks because I have those Corsairs KB. But he eventually charged in anyway, killed the lot and I did no KBs with thirty attacks.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

Sorry to rain on your parade Meteor, but I think your lack of success there has to do with how few of them you used. Spending 35 points to upgrade a 100-points unit with additional attacks isn't really a good investment, but spending those same 35 points on a 20, or 30-man unit is much better. AHW/SSS corsairs are best in larger blocks.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I find that the handbows are useful as long as you are charged and can stand and shoot. This will give you 2 shots from each Corsair that is able to shoot while the extra handweapon will only give one extra attack for those fighting. Of course this is only a benefit for the first round of combat and no good if it is you doing the charging.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

Meteor wrote:I've yet to see mine shine so I can't give too much of a valuable feedback or praise to them. I reckon you'll need sword of rhuine on them if you're taking RHB corsairs. Which is probably the source of the down performance for mine. So I've switched to a more direct approach, in taking ten AHW SSS Corsairs. All they managed to do was scare off five chaos knights with a lord in it from charging through my flanks because I have those Corsairs KB. But he eventually charged in anyway, killed the lot and I did no KBs with thirty attacks.

Sorry?? you sent 135 points to fight something like 5-600 pts., and you expected to achieve something? Rejoice that you actually scared them off for a second.

I use a unit of 20 SSS corsairs, and they always perform. Deployed 7 wide thats 29 attacks (and don't forget to expand, when you see the point). Throw in CoB KB or Occams Mindrazor or any other augment spell, and you'll see them tear through the opposition like their little plastic lives depended on it. I run them with 2 units of 15 WE and the sheer versatility of these units are amazing.

I see the DE as a 'death from a thousand paper cuts army', we're able to throw an enormous amont of S3 attacks both in shooting and CC. To make the most of them, Shadow magic is perfect, -D3T or Ld for S can just be brutal. Just last weekend, I had an Arch Lector turn white, when his precious altar went from T5 to T2 and the shades started shooting - sadly he had a 92% success rate on his 4+ ward, so it took quite some time to take it apart :roll:
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I'm still in the good old setting:
20 AHW corsairs, FC, SSS, with the COB not far.
10 RHB corsairs, muso as a harassing unit.

If you feel like customizing your models, then I suggest to take out 6 of them and convert them to Shades (drop the SDC and take 2 weapons plus handbow):

24 AHW corsairs, FC, SSS
10 RHB corsairs, M
6 AHW Shades
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Falconrider
Corsair

Post by Falconrider »

What do you think of 30 corsairs with rhb + SSS in horde?

Just a little something I'd like to point out - it's not "HOARD" - it's horde. It hurts me brain every time I see that. Fixed it for you.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

I want some corsairs myself, and Calisson's setup looks rather nice to me, but then wanting new models and not having money doesn't go well together, most of the time.

30 Corsairs with Rhb don't look terribly attractive to me - huge investment that'll end up in combat one way or another, and won't be as effective as could be when it gets there. And if you march, you're sacrificing shooting power so likely, you'll get 2 shooting phases before you hit combat if you're lucky, but you can only count on having one for sure (the stand and shoot won't work fi you have to charge - although that risk can be mitigated by the presence of general and battle standard). Such a huge block is much better in combat, so you might as well equip it like that.

A 10 strong harassment unit with musician can easily dance around the opponent, as they can't afford to turn around to face (and charge) them if you play it right (which is to say, if you have a unit reatdy to charge them in the back when they try to get hold of the RhB corsairs).
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

The Virgin Forest wrote:
Meteor wrote:I've yet to see mine shine so I can't give too much of a valuable feedback or praise to them. I reckon you'll need sword of rhuine on them if you're taking RHB corsairs. Which is probably the source of the down performance for mine. So I've switched to a more direct approach, in taking ten AHW SSS Corsairs. All they managed to do was scare off five chaos knights with a lord in it from charging through my flanks because I have those Corsairs KB. But he eventually charged in anyway, killed the lot and I did no KBs with thirty attacks.

Sorry?? you sent 135 points to fight something like 5-600 pts., and you expected to achieve something? Rejoice that you actually scared them off for a second.

Yes I have killed 300pt lords with a mere 85pts worth of an unit multiple times, so I do expect thirty KB attacks to actually take out a knight or two.

The general consensus seems to be a large block is better for these guys. I'm curious about how effective a small unit of 10-15 can be? What has a unit of 20 or more been tackling with success?

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Martian
Trainee Warrior

Post by Martian »

The best thing about a small corsair block is the slaver rule.

Also with a good armor save vs shooting they have a better than average chance to flank charge at full strength and negate rank bonus.

So if you're running <20, treat them like an empire detachment and combo charge with something that hits hard.
Xxloesche
Slave on the Altar

Post by Xxloesche »

I do not run corsairs because i think spearmen or RxBs are better for core choices.

But when i play a lvl4 sorceress with shadow magic, i would probably run a unit corsairs of 40 as a horde with full command and SSS. Which is by itself a reasonably good unit (a bit overpriced), but can be just insane with Okham's Mindrazor! If only 7 corsairs are in contact they do 42A with S8...

It is a nice and funny combination and also option when you dont always want to play with your spearmen and RxBs.
Vampire1812
Executioner

Post by Vampire1812 »

I field my 6 wide and 6 deep AHW Mus with the SSS banner. They are the core of my fighting units. I do not take a Champ I do put in a master with the Ring of Darkness just for more survivability. So far my unit has preformed very well.
Jbtheslipperking
Executioner

Post by Jbtheslipperking »

I also think that the Corsairs in 6x6 AHW SSS is a valid option, especially with a ROD in there. The save against shooting is very nice and the staying power is excelent. Its a bit to expensive for my taste though as you looking at 400+points. A favorite unit of mine is 10 with SSS used as a screening unit for other expensive elites such as BG and Exec. And Meteor, the Chaos Knights with lord unit is way over the top really, the damage output is insane. If you instead set them up against inner circle knights or dragon princes you might find them worth it. Especially if you get at lucky roll to wound.
Wtf, dragon`s breath is not flamable ?
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

aye, I'm running my corsairs under your idea, so they're a painful speed bump for me basically. Otherwise they'll just flank support whatever my spears engage. The time I got to use them was in the diagonal mission, so his CKs were threatening my flank in turn 1 of the game >.>
All the other times they weren't needed in battle lol.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock