Frenzy-baiting in 8th

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Brad
Executioner

Frenzy-baiting in 8th

Post by Brad »

Let me just see if I'm reading all this correctly. Let's say your opponent has a unit of frenzied Khorne/Vamp knights or whatever. Their maximum charge range is 19", so I can park a cheap unit of harpies exactly 19" away from them. They must now declare a charge, but unless they roll freakishly well they aren't going to reach. So now they end up moving a maximum of 6" (and potentially as low as 1"). No marching or anything else, except to wheel directly towards my harpies. This could keep them right out of the game for three or four turns - even more if I angle the target unit so that the knights are forced to wheel towards them and away from everything else (which I need to do anyway in order to force them to declare a charge on the harpies and not something else).

Also good would be to use missile troops as the bait unit, so I get a SaS reaction every time. Even better would be if there's a forest between the knights and bait unit, forcing them to make Dangerous Terrain tests.

Did I get all that pretty-much right?
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Jl177
Shade

Post by Jl177 »

Everything you said is correct but...

that's all assuming they don't pass the leadership test to avoid the frenzy charge. Then they'd have to miss the re-roll of the leadership test if within 12" of the BSB. I'm assuming that this is extremely unlikely.
Olderplayer
Executioner

Post by Olderplayer »

They only have to declare a charge if they fail a leadership test. A good player will have their BSB within range of a frenzied unit unless they don't care if it fails the charge.
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

Ahh, there's a Ld test to avoid frenzy-charging. I missed that part.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Yep, Frenzy has become a lot better now with that.

Bye
Thanee
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

On the other hand, it is now possible for frenzied units to 'misjudge' the distance and fail their charge - but yeah, it got a whole lot better ;)
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

you can't misjudge anything when you can premeasure everything now
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

He meant that the frenzied unit fails their leadership and fails their charge. Fluffwise, this would be explained by them 'misjudging' their distance from the enemy.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.