Hexbomb

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

jbtheslipperking wrote:Don`t forget harpies are ld 6 and not itp. 50% chanse of panic is not so good. I still bring 2x6, but sometimes they do nill. Totally different role than the we`s. 5-6 we can be really nice to tie up a big block of skaven slaves. In some games 2-3 small units of we will really shine, but in other games they might to nothing for you. You will probably not see msu we in ETC, but I think they might be fun to try out annyways.

If he shoots my Harpies then that is fine with me...I could care less if they do panic as longs as my reals troops don't. Key word is the number of times 6 Harpies will do nothing as compared to 6 WE...
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Do now give us that number.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Uruk-hai
Trainee Warrior

Post by Uruk-hai »

the matter is that Harpies can always be used to fullfill one of its duties and are always part of my strategy. The 6 witch elves (in the two times I tried them) could only find once a place were I could use them, bet even then not in the most optimal way. They simply do not fit into my strategy, so automaticly often will not be usefull.
In my opinion the main disadvantage of a 6 wide, one rank unit is, that it is in many cases too difficult to maneouvre. Harpies and DR you can always get in the right position. They have a higher speed and can reform however they want. A march movement of 10 appears in many cases too little to wheel and squeese between other units.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

I use them often as well (since 7th ed lol) and I must say im very satisfied with them. Now, with the 8th edition rules even more. Excellent to protect your flanks as the enemy will often not place his biggest bad-ass units there. Another profit they bring is that they can explore terrain for you. I'd rather not risk my precious unit of black guard to check whether a river gives me a S4 hit for every model that moves through...
And they still have a massive combat potential.. for 50 points. Don't charge full blocks with them head on, but deploy them on the flank of your army, let them march a bit up, and see if there are any juicy targets, such as flanks of units, fast cavalry, war machines or wizards in units. My opponents in my gaming group HATE this unit :D
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Cat-the-odd
Beastmaster

Post by Cat-the-odd »

Hi,

last game was against Skaven. The break point scenario told me to avoid his tarpit slaves of 35+ models deeply ranked and get kills on 35 deep ranked plague monks and clanrats. I had the black horror and soulstealer and it worked quite well until I screwed my own magic phase (not taking all dice from DP).

The Hexbombs were used as front wave to meet the tarpit slaves and did that job well, freeing resources of shooting/lasers to be focused on the rat generals regiment.

The Head-on thing is not so cool anymore to me. I'll try to think more when setting up and position the Hexbomb in a position where they can hurt a flank.

Kind regards,

CATR

The used Army lists (1500 P.):
DE:
Noble, Sw. of Might, Shield of Ghrond
Sorc., Lvl2 Tome
Assassin, ahw, rune
20 Spears fc
20 Corsairs, fc
15 Execs, FC
5 DR
6 Shades, ahw
6 Harpies
6 Witches
6 Witches
RBT

Skaven:
Plague priest Lvl2
Plague priest Lvl1
BSB
Warlock
35? Monks, fc
35? Clanrats, fc, mortar
40? Slaves
40? Slaves
11 Plague Flail Guys
11 Plague Flail Guys
Plague Throwing Catapult
../¨¨¨|
.|ô/ô 9..Real sportsmen hunt with arrows and fish with flies.
.~~ /|...Real gentlemen play games which require skill, not tools.
.|__/\...Extraordinary gentlemen even win with them.
.[>o<]...Welcome to the League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen
Doug
Warrior

Post by Doug »

You will be amazed what they do when you Mind Razor them. :twisted: :twisted:
Doug