Thoughts on 40K vs WFB

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Torakeen
Trainee Warrior

Thoughts on 40K vs WFB

Post by Torakeen »

Anyone else notice the similarities of the 40k vs WFB options. I'm seeing a simulacrum here.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Thoughts on 40K vs WFB

Post by Omnichron »

I'm a bit unsure what you mean...

The warhammer fantasy and 40k had much more similar rules back at 2nd edition (of 40k... that was when I started out). However, when third edition came out, 40k went a different way. The latter became simplified and much easier to play around... and for some more boring as it meant less tactics.

The races also originate from similar ideas... And fantasy was even considered as part of the 40k universe in the past lore (Which was a bit silly in one way, but several of the 40k worlds are feudal societies with limited technology, which makes RPGs quite fun in that setting).

Both brands has evolved to their own part of fantasy and scifi eventually... with lots of different fluffs. The rules are still somewhat familiar while being different as well. You see orcs and orkz, high elves and eldar, dark elves and dark eldar, daemons of chaos and daemons of chaos :roll: , so yes... a lot of similarities :lol:

Oh, or did you mean specific options between dark eldar and dark elves? :)
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Thoughts on 40K vs WFB

Post by Saintofm »

Race wise, there are simalarities.

Lizardmen (anthropomorphic reptiles, amphibians, and Dinosaurs), and Tyranids (Anthropomorphic insects, arachnids, and other bugs and anthropoids).

Necrons and Tomb Kings have simalar basis (Egypt, mumies).

Vampire Counts have the same Vampire/Transylvania theme Night Lords and Blood Angels have.

Elves are rather different then eldar, especially their darker kin.

THings might change in the new books, and this might be my own opinion than what is actual fact, but GW dark elves feel more like Rome and Ancient Greece at their most corrupt stages, and Dark Eldar are the Cenobites from the Hellraisor franchise.

Game wise, I havn't played enough 40k to know the difference.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra