2500 vs Wood Elf Dragon

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Xzazzarai
Corsair

2500 vs Wood Elf Dragon

Post by Xzazzarai »

Hey guys!

In a few days, maybe even tomorrow, I'm going up against a pretty experienced Wood Elf player. I know he will be taking a Dragon with the 3+ ward save and probably a lot of trees and some archers with flaming arrows to deal with the Hydra.

Any advice of how to handle such a list would be appreciated!

Could execs get the job done? Flaming banner and extra attack should make splinters of trees in matter of seconds.

How about bringing a dragon of my own, or should I go for a lvl 4 caster and maybe a Pendand, stubborn Dread lord to lock up som stuff?

Will Shades be a good idea, to put some preassure on his flanks? Numbers?

Suggestions are most welcome!
ETC Team Sweden
2011 - Dark Elves
2012 - Undecided
Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maldor »

This would be one of the few situations in which I'd recommend the lore of metal against Wood Elves. The signature spell won't affect most of his units, but it will help take down the dragon and will absolutely decimate forest spirits.
Lock up your children, shut all windows tight.
The Witch Elves are hunting for victims tonight.
When old hags do knock at your door, you must hide,
Your death is the gift sought by Khaine's pretty brides.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

The Stone of the Crystal Mere does indeed provide a 3+ Ward Save for rider and mount, but only until a Ward Save is failed. If you can force a lot of wounds early on and make your opponent fail at least one Ward Save, then the item will be gone and the dragon will be vulnerable to conventional shooting and attacks.

Also, watch out for both Treemen and Treekin. Both of them are very, very nasty versus Dark Elves, so Flaming Attacks are a great and obvious way to counter them. Don't underestimate either of these though; Treekin are arguablythe finest mid-size monsters in the game, and the Treekin is very hard to kill unless you're specifically prepared to deal with one. If your opponent has a Level 4 with Life and Wand of the Wych Elm too, expect both the Treekin and Treemen to have lots of wounds regenerated on them while you struggle to cast much magic (Wand of the Wych Elm allows dispel attempts to be re-rolled.)

In addition to the Treemen and Treekin, Dryads are dangerous as well. Strength 4 is more than enough to hurt Elves, and their Initiative 6 is pretty fearsome if the Dryads are being used well. Do your best to tarpit or hit the Forest Spirits with regiments or specialized hard-hitting troops, while sending units like Chariots and Cold One Knights to chase down archer units. You will have a hard time killing a Treeman or Treekin in combat without using either magic, Manbane/Rending Stars, or Flaming Attacks on high-Strength troops in close combat, so don't underestimate either of those.

Also, I would discourage using Shades. Wood Elf shooting is frightfully consistent and accurate, and you never want to enter into forests when fighting Wood Elves, so Shades probably will not last long even if deployed in terran. The best bed with Shades is to deploy them more conservatively in your own deployment zone, and use them in the mid and late turns of the game to keep up crossbow pressure on any fast cavalry, eagles, scouts or Glade Guard that get too close.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Valkyre
Dark Rider

Post by Valkyre »

just be aware most of his units will be steadfast in forests, and yours lose it there, this, combined with treesinging and the added forest they bring, can make for a nice tactical game thou.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

For dealing with the dragon itself, there's always the possibility of Annoyance of Netlings on the Lord, so you'll want to force the 3+ Ward to be failed as soon as possible and then focus on dropping the dragon or hitting them with dangerous rank-and-file troops since you can't count on combat characters to do much damage.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.