Ideas for Dragon mounted Supreme Sorceress

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Falconrider
Corsair

Ideas for Dragon mounted Supreme Sorceress

Post by Falconrider »

I've always had a bit of a liking for a Supreme Sorceress mounted upon the Black Dragon. It might be a missile/magic magnet and not the most points efficient choice but nonetheless a fun and fluffy unit to play.

Here's a setup that can be used in games of 2500 points or more that i think will be quite effective.

Level 3 Supreme Sorceress
Black Dragon
Tomb of Furion
Pendant of Khaeleth
Whip of Agony
Potion of Foolhardiness

On the charge can dish out 3 S5 attacks from the Supreme Sorceress followed by the Dragons attacks, breath and thunderstomp.

The Pendant is the main defensive item.

included is the Whip of Agony to give the rider 2 S5 attacks + 1 attack with the potion which isn't too bad a combat boost from a couple of cheap magic items.

With 15 points and an arcane slot spare Tomb of Furion was an obvious choice to round out the cost to 625 points.

I opted out of the Focus Familiar as with TLOS it's harder to hide the Dragon and many spells from the new lores can be cast whilst in combat. Also i couldn't fit in the Pendant and the Whip with the Familiar as it would be too many pts on Lords. I think the extra attacks is good enough to warrant it's inclusion over the Familiar.

What are peoples opinions on this kit?

Does anyone else have any ideas for a Dragon mounted Sorceress ?

Cheers,
Valkyre
Dark Rider

Post by Valkyre »

If you want to mount a sorc on dragin, i would go for ToF and black amulet instead, and off course take dark magic.

you will want to commit it to combat, and the 1 (or up to 3) attacks from a sorc wont matter then, but the rebounding saves can add a lot more CR instead, and with soulstealer (at about guaranteed with ToF) you can take those risks.
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

Dark magic is the only lore I would advise you never to take. Just because you have soul stealer doesn't mean your opponent will let you cast it, especially since there is virtually nothing in our lore that can be cast from combat without FF. The black amulet is also too expensive to use below 3k pts.

I agree that sorceress-related combat attacks will be insignificant (except in providing magic attacks), and maybe a BDE would be handy. I think the choice between ToF and FF depends on which lore you want to use, as mentioned.

Sorceresses riding dragons has always been one of my favourite builds, but dragons are simply too vulnerable now IMO. I suppose with shadow lore and some mounted heroes your sorc might be able to escape should the dragon ever fall out from under her, denying ridiculous VPs, her biggest enemy being static res/fleeing.

Perhaps in 3k:
Lv.4, FF(or BDE), PoK, CoC (or BDE)

Crunch through/hold up their biggest units indefinitely while throwing magic around? Yes please!
A.wagg
Slave on the Altar

Post by A.wagg »

I would consider this with Black Dragon egg and PoK just to provide some CR to stagnant combats, 4D6 S4 breath attacks, TStomp, and the dragons attacks. There really isn't a point giving the sorceress a weapon... WS4 S4 and A2? Forget it. The whip would probably be best if you had to give her a weapon with 3S5 but still kinda pointless. Shadow probably as Burizan said with smoke and mirrors.
Valkyre
Dark Rider

Post by Valkyre »

smoke and mirrors will be totally useless if ye mount the sorc on a dragon, except when ye have a manticore rider to swap with.

you can only swap with a char of the same unittype.
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

Valkyre wrote:smoke and mirrors will be totally useless if ye mount the sorc on a dragon, except when ye have a manticore rider to swap with.

you can only swap with a char of the same unittype.

I meant when the dragon goes down, as it is all downhill from there!

I now have this insane thought of 2 dragons (inc 1 sorc) and a manti BSB swapping all over the place... 8)