How to defeat our sworn enemies?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

C_freman
Dark Rider

Post by C_freman »

antinchip wrote:Lance-a-lot, my regular HE opponent is very wise to ASF Black Guard, as I sure most are and simply refuses to engage them in close combat.

Most recent fight last week, I was holding my own with magic and shooting (RXB's cut down units of Spears, Swordsmasters and Seaguard) but come turn 5 he had so far avoided my 16 strong Black Guard unit with tooled up DL General and Master BSB and then got off Dwellers Below against them. Lost 50% to the spell, including BSB, failed the panic test, turned and fled......victory High Elves!

Black guards are ITP, which means they don't have to make panic tests.
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

I would take 2 hydras against high elves every time if I really want to win!

Even though any army can now have the means to deal with the regeneration, the hydra is still W5, T5 and 4+ AS, and it is horribly overpowered in close combat - especially against T3.

Lets face it: Even without regeneration, War Hydras would still be a good deal at 175 points. I mean... 175 points? Comon, you go kill my hydra if you want to - it isnt gonna win you any games... On the other half: If you fail to deal with the hydra, you are proberbly loosing the game...

... and that is ONE hydra...
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

If you're going with Hydras, watch out for White Lions, and definitely watch out for White Lions if they have Flaming Attacks. Make sure you send the Hydras after something they can handle.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Yodi
Slave on the Altar

Post by Yodi »

Personally I never worry about dispelling Throne of Vines. Even a lvl4 should throw 2 dice at it and all it does is boost his next spells, which are the ones you want dispell anyway and you've just saved 2-3 dispell dice for this purpose.

I've found that Swordmasters hate CoK with BSB. They lose the ASF re-rolls, we still get a 4+ save and kill them on 2's. You fail all your first stupidity checks in the first turn of your last 5 games! Your luck has got to change soon on that, surely ;) . If not, the BSB could help, but probably not :lol: .

Just my opinions though.

Yodi
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Welcome, yodi, to D.net!

yodi wrote:Personally I never worry about dispelling Throne of Vines. Even a lvl4 should throw 2 dice at it and all it does is boost his next spells.
You'll have to dispel it sooner or later, as it remains in play.
Also, better dispel it rather than regret it is effective when there is an IF cast later on.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Welcome, yodi, to D.net!

yodi wrote:Personally I never worry about dispelling Throne of Vines. Even a lvl4 should throw 2 dice at it and all it does is boost his next spells.
You'll have to dispel it sooner or later, as it remains in play.
Also, better dispel it rather than regret it is effective when there is an IF cast later on.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

I lost count of how many times the fat toad IF'd whilst Throne was in effect. Kicked myself really hard too because I failed to dispel it too, when he IF'd right afterwards on regular rolls.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

To use the BG against an 'avoid the BG opponent, strip them down. Field them 5x2 with HQ but no magic. Make a point of exchanging army lists at the end of the game. Let him get used to the idea that you aren't tooling them up and he'll ease up on them.

Then when they get into combat, give them a cauldron blessing - +1 attack vs. anything T4 or less, KB vs. T5 or higher. Then he will remember just why the BG are the Warrior Elite of the DE army. :twisted:
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

Noone in my area plays H Elves, but I am going to use your set up to try to compile a strategy if I can. I know this sounds stupid (I am VERY good at that) but what about the Shade/Sin delivery system to get the Mage w/ Regrowth? He seems like a main key point to hampering your shooting efforts. And if they survive, you can flank him. By the look of the blocks he has in melee, and how AGAINST going up on your BG he is, throw the WE @ him and basically make him play Sophie's Choice all game- Soften with Shooting, and Dark magic, With either Fire or Death as a back up (please note, I usually randomise this as I generate a list, and the weak list against these guys would be Shadow unless I'm wrong).

I know it sounds odd, but basically, control how HE moves. Get in there first, and Move Lock him.
Oderint dum Metuant.