dark eldar proxy?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

New elf
Trainee Warrior

dark eldar proxy?

Post by New elf »

I don't play 40k, so all my knowledge about the Dark Eldar was limited to jokes about how much they used to suck. Maybe they suck or dont suck, the important thing is their new models rule.

The first time I saw the HQ DE Archon I thought how easy he would fit in as a lord in the fantasy army. Then I saw the sweet new Incubi & immediately thought about the possibility of using them instead of the super boring Executioners/Black Guard. Anyone else think this is a good/bad idea? Or do the Eldar models different too much in look to fit in?
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

A bit off-topic, but you think the Executioner's are boring? :shock: Well, to each his own.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maldor »

The Archon looks to me like Malekith ought based on the 6th ed armybook cover. The Incubi are not bad models, but look a bit too sci-fi to be used without some converting (I personally like our execs and BG, so I wouldn't trade them). With a little work it could make a cool character with a great weapon.

The Mandrakes are also pretty cool. I could see using them as naked shades. The Kabalite Warrior also have some great bitz. Overall the new Dark Eldar range has a lot of elements that could be incorporated into a DE fantasy army, though I'd recommend combining bitz to customize your force over using a straight proxy.
Lock up your children, shut all windows tight.
The Witch Elves are hunting for victims tonight.
When old hags do knock at your door, you must hide,
Your death is the gift sought by Khaine's pretty brides.
Masamune
Black Guard

Post by Masamune »

There are tons of great bits on the new Dark Eldar kits but I wouldn't just drop them as is into fantasy. You definitely need to chop off or modify all of the futuristic components and adding more mundane items like more cloth, leather pouches and straps, small knives, etc. and break apart the "space suit" appearance. You especially need to lose all of the things that look like power supply components (little cables, wires, cells, etc).
Blackfrost
Shade

Post by Blackfrost »

I say go for it. I was actually thinking of converting Lelith into a Hag BSB. A little repositioning of her left arm and a banner should do the trick.
New elf
Trainee Warrior

Post by New elf »

I think if you switched the legs on the Incubi with Elf Warrior skirts it would help a lot. Also lose the cool looking wing things. Otherwise, if you compare models from fantasy & 40k, a huge difference in "space" or "normal" armor is the color of it (metallic vs something not metallic).

I'm mostly worried about the scale of Incubi vs other Elves- as we've seen the IoB Seaguard are a little taller than the spearmen. So theres a potential issue of torsos looking strange.

Thats an interesting idea about the Mandrakes being used as Shades.

Everyone really already likes the Exec's? I must be the minority.
Ungorlucky
Warrior

Post by Ungorlucky »

I actually think our metal models are probably some of the nicest models in the GW range. One of the reasons I restarted my DE army after nearly a 10 year gap.

The Dark Eldar range do present many modeling/conversion opportunities and indeed I will be acquiring some models myself but I do see them as a compliment to our Dark Elf models and not as a replacement.

As someone as previously mentioned November=conversion month. :twisted:
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

new elf wrote:Everyone really already likes the Exec's? I must be the minority.

They do ; you are. I would rather not see any of the Dark Eldar stuff as Dark Elves. Most of it is too obviously sci-fi, or at the least too bondage-freak, and that's saying something when we already have Beastmasters.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Been planning to use the Incubi as Black Guard since I first saw their pictures a month ago.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

I was thinking about using wyches for witch elves. They seem to have enough hand weapon on the sprue to be able to field them correctly and not having to modeled from guns.

It's more of a money reason and for diversity. I find witch elves to be to static and with not enough diversity.

For Executionner, I already own more than 20, and don't want to buy 20 more in metal (just adding the incubi seems a little weird).

Achon look really like the ancient Malekith (the one with the claw)

Mandrakes are really cool. They can made so cool assassins, it's just bad that they became so less effective. Maybe some shades will be in my list! Those with bigger sword could make some cool executionner though. And

If you change a little the banner under the feet of Lelith, she could made a great BSB on cauldron.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I can see the appeal, but I also vastly prefer the fantasy models. :)

Bye
Thanee
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I really just like working with plastic. Pewter is great and all, but it really requires a lot more work to convert, and plastic models can usually be reposed/repositioned with simple joined cuts, pinning and green stuff inserts, whereas metal models tend to be a bit more of a "lump" that can only be changed by destroying a section of the model and resculpting it. With that in mind, it's not so much the appeal of the models themselves, but rather that they look very Dark Elf-ish and can be posed/repositioned/converted much easier.

That, and the Incubi helmets are incredible. Exactly how I would imagine a Cult of Slaanesh warrior to look: a perfect hybrid of Elven and Daemonic.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Kirby
Shade

Post by Kirby »

Tethlis wrote:That, and the Incubi helmets are incredible. Exactly how I would imagine a Cult of Slaanesh warrior to look: a perfect hybrid of Elven and Daemonic.

I agree! In fact, I'll likely be using an Incubi model as my CoS Master with Crimson Death. From what I saw they don't look super sci-fi, the armor looks very plated and there are not too many power supply gizmos to file off. I'll probably take those back pieces off, though...
Eolelfslayer
Dark Rider

Post by Eolelfslayer »

Well, both the Archon variants can be used straight in WHFB (the non-horned one even has a druchii like crest on the helmet, while the other has something of Malekith about him!), but all of the other models should be customized to some extent. I agree, however, that they constitute a stockpile of extra heads/arms/bodies you just cant ignore. I have already seen wych/corsairs hybrids around, and they look rather sweet.