Thoughts CoK

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Coryl99
Warrior

Thoughts CoK

Post by Coryl99 »

I was wondering what you all thought of the idea to just use 5 Cok as a flanking force that will hit very hard. Is this a good idea with no command or models really? I think they would be perfect for a hammer unit just have to be smart with them.. or should i go all out and by 5 more upgrade to musician and champ and put a bsb with them? But to me thats a huge point sink.. thoughts?
8th ed. Record win-tie-loss
Dark Elves: 2-0-0
Bretonnians: 0-0-0
Painted:
Dark Elves 1000pts.: 80%
Bretonnians 1000pts: 50%
Masamune
Black Guard

Post by Masamune »

A group of 5 or 6 works but I would take a musician on them. It's not an expensive upgrade and can sure come in handy. The other command models I wouldn't worry about. Typically the champion and banner are best used for the items they can take, or on a larger unit, or if there is a character in the unit.

This is probably the most common use of the CoK so of course it's viable. The other main use is a big block of 10-12 or even more but that becomes quite expensive and is not as modular with a multitude of army lists due to the nature of the support structure you want to go along with it (CoB, hero, etc.).
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I think it's more viable if you have a Cauldron of Blood as that extra attack at the right time can make a small unit a much bigger threat.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Eglard
Corsair

Post by Eglard »

It works on it's own too, but upgrading one to champion and giving him the potion of foolhardiness is quite nice, as is standard of slaughter if you have the points.
The avenger
Beastmaster

Post by The avenger »

Lately I've been using a unit of 6 with musican, banner and the flaming banner, supported by a CoB. Quite nice when you're going to take down other hydras, hellpits etc :)
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

I use two units of 6 with a musician each supported by a cauldron. They win me all my games...
Deadly_druchii
Slave on the Altar

Post by Deadly_druchii »

What is the flaming banner called? Been looking for it for ages now :D
The avenger
Beastmaster

Post by The avenger »

Deadly_Druchii wrote:What is the flaming banner called? Been looking for it for ages now :D

Banner of theE Eternal flame, or something like that ;) 10pts in the BRB 8)
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

They're a great purchase I think. One other nice feature is that the more casualties they take, the more maneuverable they become, which means that a depleted unit of 2 Cold One Knights can easily slip into a backline to kill warmachines or maneuver through the lines to go after an enemy caster.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Coryl99
Warrior

Post by Coryl99 »

You all said have a musician? I can't see why because what will you need the quick reform for? Please help me if im missing something.
Painted:
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

CoryL99 wrote:You all said have a musician? I can't see why because what will you need the quick reform for? Please help me if im missing something.

In 8th they get the quick reform, but otherwise its good for moral checks as they are going to be losing 25% most of the time when they do take casualties, and for winning drawn combats.

I used 2 units of 5 for a long time in 7th, but was always very unlucky with them. I ended up running a single unit of 6 to 7 with just a muso. They are a great firepower sink, can run down the other guy's flankers for the most part, and whatever left is still a threat in the enemy rear until they are dead or fleeing.

They are not however reliable in any way shape or form.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Coryl99
Warrior

Post by Coryl99 »

How does the musician effect leadership?? sorry i dont have my rule book friend does.. I know about the free reform but with 5 knights is that ever necessary?
Painted:
Masamune
Black Guard

Post by Masamune »

You get +1Ld when attempting to rally (from fleeing). So CoK would go up to Ld10, increasing your chances by 1/12 or ~8.3%. EDIT: Not counting BSB possibility of course.

They can break a tied combat in your favour, so it's a mini banner that doesn't turn over any VP or auto die if it flees.

They can swift reform and there are times when it is better to do this than wheeling around.

Overall, you're getting a lot of value for your 8pts and to me it would be harder to justify not taking this option.
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

In 8th they get the quick reform, but otherwise its good for moral checks as they are going to be losing 25% most of the time when they do take casualties, and for winning drawn combats.

But Cold one Knights are immune to psycology by the new rules for stupidity. That is ALWAYS - not only when they go stupid!

Which means that the rally bonus only applies when they have broken from combat.

Apart from that, being able to quick reform and the draw special abilities of the musician are proberbly enough to justify 8 points.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

COK are my favorite unit, when I don't feel like being very tactical, and just want to push models across the board, COB, Hydra banner BSB and potion of foolhardyness on the champ plus SoS is the way to go hahaha.
Pjeos
Executioner

Post by Pjeos »

Hi there,

Have you thought of giving Hag Graef (to put a dent in HE and allow COs to reroll against I2 or lower such as Lizzies, Dwarves, undead) or Banner of Murder (to take on Chaos Knights and the likes) and The Other Trickster's Shard (for character/BSB killing) or Potion of Foolhardiness.

I've playtested them and they can get to kill some really tough characters, such as Dwarf/WoC BSB.
Last edited by Pjeos on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masamune
Black Guard

Post by Masamune »

Not all leadership tests are counted as panic tests. For example rally tests are not panic tests, which is when the musician comes into play. CoK are not immune to break tests either. So there will be situations where the musician is useful, not sure exactly what you were ruling out saying musician doesn't help in this aspect.
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

Units of 5-6 COK were always my fast hammer in 7th but since 8th ed rules, I prefer to field them in much larger units. Like 12 with FC and Hag Graef banner.
The reason of this change is VP. It is very difficult for your opponent to get VP since 50% damages don't give VP anymore. Furthermore with support attacks rules, you get a devastating 13 attacks S6 and 6 strengh 4. Against undead, Lizzies or dwarves, even your CO can reroll their attacks thanks to new ASF rules!
Our club's facebook page:
Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville
Look for French tourneys pics galleries!
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Auere wrote:But Cold one Knights are immune to psycology by the new rules for stupidity. That is ALWAYS - not only when they go stupid!

That is exactly what the rules say though, there is no change from stupidity in the last edition, its just so badly worded it appears to read backwards to what it means.

Mod's EDIT:
This discussion is legitimate, but it is a rules discussion, not a tactics one.
Please discuss Stupidity & ITP in the following thread, and ONLY THERE:

COK: always ITP, or only after failing stupid test?

Calisson.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Coryl99
Warrior

Post by Coryl99 »

Okay You all make excellent points im still confused on the =1 to rally, is it only used for rallying or break tests also?
Painted:
Masamune
Black Guard

Post by Masamune »

Just to rally, not for break tests.
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

By the way, I fielded my 12 COK with ASF in my last 3 games and I won all of them. They shined against undeads and dwarves. And to hammered by daemons but, as I had 1 left, no VP for the daemons.
On the other hand, I got flanked by a 30 bloodletters unit just because an ITP unit can not flee!
Our club's facebook page:
Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville
Look for French tourneys pics galleries!